Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Novotel will in future refuse to print the bill upon check-out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.

Back for a short trip in the UK with Ibis and Novotel stays.

Ibis sent me an email during the night saying that I had elected fast check out (I had NOT), so they were sending me a first bill by email in pdf form for review. Then they sent another final bill. I asked for the bill to be printed on site and they obliged.

At Novotel Cardiff (nice place !), it went differently. Upon check-out, the front desk lady told me how much I owed them. I said I wanted to check the bill and this is when she said she could not print it. She was not allowed to any more. She could only show me her screen.

The manager confirmed it was an Accor-Novotel policy and confessed it made guests angry.

She eventually went to the office and printed a copy as a matter of courtesy, but the manager said that unfortunately they would soon not have any printer any more!

This means that Accor is now passing on the burden of printing the bills to us, that checking its accuracy is going to be a pain and the Almighty will need to save us from the endless back and forth emails if we spot any mistake. This is far better sorted out on site, isn't it?

Not to mention the pain of having to sort out all emails once back in the office, open the pdf, print the bills and check them one by one, when we usually have lots on our plates upon return of busy business trips.

What do you all think about this?

Last edited by carnarvon; Feb 18, 2018 at 3:10 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:43 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
That this is another stupid idea. Also one that is a legal minefield in several countries.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:02 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Not acceptable and a really stupid idea. I require a printed invoice when on work travel. Not an email, which may or may not arrive.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:20 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
More and more companies are moving towards paperless expense reports. Mine did so over five years ago!
To me it has always been a nuissance to have a printed bill and having to scan it when back at the office, since we are no longer allowed to submit paper expense reports. So to me this is good news. And I hope all hotels will start paperless billing soon enough.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Back for a short trip in the UK with Ibis and Novotel stays.

Ibis sent me an email during the night saying that I had elected fast check out (I had NOT), so they were sending me a first bill by email in pdf form for review. Then they sent another final bill. I asked for the bill to be printed on site and they obliged.

At Novotel Cardiff (nice place !), it went differently. Upon check-out, the front desk lady told me how much I owed them. I said I wanted to check the bill and this is when she said she could not print it. She was not allowed to any more. She could only show me her screen.

The manager confirmed it was an Accor-Novotel policy and confessed it made guests angry.

She eventually went to the office and printed a copy as a matter of courtesy, but the manager said that unfortunately they would soon not have any printer any more!

This means that Accor is now passing on the burden of printing the bills to us, that checking its accuracy is going to be a pain and the Almighty will need to save us from the endless back and forth emails if we spot any mistake. This is far better sorted out on site, isn't it?

Not to mention the pain of having to sort out all emails once back in the office, open the pdf, print the bills and check them one by one, when we usually have lots on our plates upon return of busy business trips.

What do you all think about this?
I fully agree with you. Utter non-sense. I always request a print-out on-site as I had too many problems with inaccuracies and it’s too much of a pain to solve this afterwards by e-mail with the hotel.
@accorhotelsconcierge : Amy, please make sure Accor get this feedback (which is certainly not unique to this community here). Thank you. This is a crazy policy.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
Originally Posted by Goldorak

I fully agree with you. Utter non-sense. I always request a print-out on-site as I had too many problems with inaccuracies and it’s too much of a pain to solve this afterwards by e-mail with the hotel.

If there is no paper printout then how can we check and verify our expenses spent in the hotel such as dining charges, spa expenses?

And Accor always have this problem of not posting the points and stay credit correctly or not posting at all. Then the silly and incompetent No Customer Service agent will always ask you to send them a scan copy of the folio for your stay before they take weeks to reply you and take action.

I have ABSOLUTE ZERO TRUST and FAITH with Accor that my bill will be error free based on my Last 10 Years as Accor Plus Platinum member).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where local law requires a printed receipt, clearly properties will need to comply with local laws. But, throughout the vast majority of the world this is not true and the requirement is being rapidly dropped as it is not necessary, wastes paper, and creates a data protection risk.

As more and more reimbursement systems simply attach a PDF (either manually or automated) and no printed copy is ever made anywhere, the need for a paper copy is dying off rapidly and the costs associated with having printers at front desks are eliminated at the same time.

The PDF can generally be revierd online on your own device and I have yet to find a property anywhere for any hotel or chain which does not simply make the screen available for review.

Adapting to 10-year old technology seems to be behind not ahead of the times.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:56 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I recall when i stayed at the Novotel Clarke Quay in Singapore last year that I got a note slipped under the door to check my bill on the TV and that the final bill would be emailed to me
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by mihaid
More and more companies are moving towards paperless expense reports. Mine did so over five years ago!
To me it has always been a nuissance to have a printed bill and having to scan it when back at the office, since we are no longer allowed to submit paper expense reports. So to me this is good news. And I hope all hotels will start paperless billing soon enough.

Do you mean that taxi drivers send you a pdf bill and restaurants as well? What about ferries or underground?

Don't tell us that you don't use a scanner for the numerous petty expenses for which you receive a paper note.

The fact is that more and more hotels offer the OPTION of express check out, meaning they send you the bill by email.

This option appears to be suited to your needs, so you can chose it.

However, why would you advocate this way of doing onto unwilling guests?

There are many reasons highlighted by other posters to justify the need for a print out upon check out, for those who require it.

​The others can chose "express check out".

Last edited by carnarvon; Feb 18, 2018 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:31 am

Of course I still get paper receipts (unfortunately) from certain vendors. And I have to scan those myself. That is why I am glad everytime someone moves from paper to electronic - which is the case of this thread. One less piece of paper for me to scan.
For the same reason, usually I get an Uber (where available) instead of a taxi and sometimes I dine at the hotel I am staying at (if they have a decent restaurant) so I can bill it to my room. There are and there will still be, for the foreseable future, places where I can only get paper receipts but the fewer the better. And this thread brings joy to me as now I know I will have one less piece of paper to scan if I stay at a Novotel. But I realize there are still people who love their papers. Well, those can always print their papers themselves, if they really want to add to their piles of paper.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mihaid
Well, those can always print their papers themselves, if they really want to add to their piles of paper.
You could do without such a condescending tone.

Most of us here are seasoned travellers and have explained why the choice should not be taken away from them.

​​​
htb and NoizeBoy like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:55 am

I too consider myself a seasoned traveller. I have been flying internationally for work for the past 25 years, even though I only started reading FT 6 years ago.
And I apologize if I seemed condescending - that was not my intention. I myself had to (sometimes, reluctantly) accept (imposed) changes in my routine but it the end I realised my life was easier. I believe this is one of those cases. Soon enough, I am sure everyone will embrace this Novotel paperless billing too.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:57 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Personally I always lose paper invoices so habitually ask hotels to send my check out invoices by email. A significant percentage of times the email doesn't arrive and I have to chase it up so automatic emails which actually arrive would be a benefit for me.

Most UK Novotel properties now seem to email a provisional check out invoice in the early hours of the morning of check out so it can be checked on your phone, tablet, PC at your leisure and correct any accountng errors before final checkout. I personally prefer this as check out is faster.

Novotel Heathrow has removed its reception desk/counter in its entirety. The former reception staff now simply carry small tablet devices with them if you need to query anything. Otherwise check in is ideally completed online with a wallet with everything you need prepared before arrival and checkout (assuming the provisional invoice as correct) is contactless. Makes check in and check out very fast.

Although I prefer this type of operation in a people focused industry I would have thought offering the choice of paper or non paper check out to the guest at checkout seems sensible.

PS Novotel Cardiff is a above average Novotel built around the shell of 19th Century coal warehouse.

Last edited by cwl; Feb 18, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cwl
(...) Novotel Heathrow has removed its reception desk/counter in its entirety. The former reception staff now simply carry small tablet devices with them if you need to query anything. Otherwise check in is ideally completed online with a wallet with everything you need prepared before arrival and checkout (assuming the provisional invoice as correct) is contactless. Makes check in and check out very fast.
This is acceptable at an Ibis, not a Novotel.

PS Novotel Cardiff is a above average Novotel built around the shell of 19th Century coal warehouse.
It gives a special touch to the property. Pity they got rid of the restaurant though. Now there is only the bar and bar food, all with extremely loud music which makes a relaxing dinner after a stressful journey impossible.

Why they did not keep the lower breakfast area open for dinner is not a good idea.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Fantastic news. Far too much paper wasted. Companies who demand paper invoices need to wake up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.