Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by tris06
Which Accor hotel in Bangkok is the best for young children around the age 4yrs old?
Generally avoid properties around Sukhumvit, Silom and you'll be fine.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by RJ77
Generally avoid properties around Sukhumvit, Silom and you'll be fine.
Apropos this and the earlier discussion about Novotel Soi 4: yes, it’s right on the edge of major sleaze. However it’s quite easy to access without being too close to it. The shuttle to Nana BTS goes down Soi 6 ( ie, residential and hotels, tame) and coming back from the BTS on foot you could also go down Soi 6 ( 400 metres).
Maybe it’s not the best choice for young kids in respect of amenities/facilities, but you could take grandma there without her noticing the sex venues. It’s a very decent hotel for the price.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Sorry to bring an old thread up.

Need some suggestion about Accor hotel in Bangkok.
Will be going there early November and looking for hotel that have convenient access to BTS

Hoping for more luxury end of hotels and having executive lounge/ club lounge is a big bonus

Currently thinking of So Sofitel or Banyan Tree from Accor side.
I also considering some other hotels from other chain ... St Regis Bangkok or The Athenee (Marriott) or Siam Kempinski
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by kaizen7

Will be going there early November and looking for hotel that have convenient access to BTS

Hoping for more luxury end of hotels and having executive lounge/ club lounge is a big bonus

I also considering some other hotels from other chain ... St Regis Bangkok or The Athenee (Marriott) or Siam Kempinski
The neighbourhoods for So Sofitel and Banyantree are pretty boring for night time exploring. Might be better to be closer to Sukhumvit.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum

Banyan Tree is far from BTS and the shuttle service isn't very convenience and I usually end up taking taxi. So Sofitel is close to MRT (underground train), not BTS.
I would recommend Sofitel as it's walking distance to BTS. There is executive lounge and rooftop bar, but I doubt it beats St Regis and Siam Kempinski on luxury. If it doesn't have to be Accor, I would choose Siam Kempinski for its location and convenience.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,

Sofitel So has MRT (subway) nearby but not the BTS (overhead train). Sofitel Sukhumvit has Nana and Asoke stations about 500 m away. If you want closer than that, Novotel Ploenchit has an executive lounge but is a 4* property -- but BTS is just a minute walk outside the hotel.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent

So Sofitel and Banyan are in relatively quiet / business districts. For Accor, those along with the Sofitel are the higher end. I don’t mind quieter locations, so I’d be happy at either So Sofitel or Banyan (the former being a bit younger / trendier than the latter).

St Regis is one of my all time favourites followed by Waldorf and in my opinion in a better location (St Regis is about as close as you can get to the BTS line, direct access from hotel). However, no lounges and upgrades unlikely unless you have status.

Kempinski is great location if you want to be near Siam Paragon mall (it’s only 1 BTS stop from St Regis / Waldorf or a 10-15 min walk). However, Kempinski as a hotel I wasn’t overly impressed with.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum

We have spent some stays at the Sukosol (10 minutes walk from Phaya Thai station / Sukhumvit BTS)

even if it is nothing comparable with StRegis or other luxury end (and with SOFITEL also), the rooms in the new building are very recent and can satisfy)

there is an executive lounge for executive rooms/suites guests.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Any thoughts on the Mercure Bangkok Makkasan?

It would work well for me location-wise. (Actually, it's almost a 1 km walk to the airport link station--longer than you might think from just optically inspecting a map.)

A forum search brings up nothing except for the welcome amenity for golds/plats (which looks nice).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
It's less than a km walk if you're willing to cross the train tracks. Going back from the hotel, there is a shuttle to the MRT station, where they will also pick you up at the MRT station if you call them (there is a schedule).

Plats get bf and HH food in the wine bar rooms next to the pool or option of bf in the rest. If there is a private function in the wine bar area, then they will serve HH food in the lobby for Plats.

Hotel is fairly new and rooms small, but ok, except no bathroom door.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by 8mh

It would work well for me location-wise. (Actually, it's almost a 1 km walk to the airport link station--longer than you might think from just optically inspecting a map.)

A forum search brings up nothing except for the welcome amenity for golds/plats (which looks nice).
Don’t try to walk it. It is a terrible road with no sidewalk. Plus, the heat and humidity will be terrible of you are schlepping luggage.
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by 8mh

Is proximity to Makkasan Rail a priority? ( I think getting the train from there is not great; at least from Phaya Thai there is a chance for a seat, even in peak; by the time it reaches Makkasan it’s always full). Consequently I prefer Mercure Soi 11, take the hotel tuk tuk to Nana and the BTS to Phaya Thai.
Mercure Soi 11 is pretty decent: very good size rooms, they do give Gold upgrade ( at least one category). It has a nice pool, albeit with slightly barren surroundings. The only significant negative is the AirCon: it struggles to get down to 22/23( and on arrival is often 27/28 and takes HOURS to cool down)
But it’s a good value hotel when it’s 2500 or less ( and especially when Aloft is the same or higher).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paolo64
Is proximity to Makkasan Rail a priority?
Yes. As it is a very short stay in BKK, essentially a long layover.

Obviously, I am capable of doing a google or kayak search around a location (choosing one of the ARL stops as the location). But surprisingly little comes up in terms of chain hotels, neither Accor nor the competition.

Mercure Soi 11 is pretty decent: very good size rooms, they do give Gold upgrade ( at least one category).
Thanks for the suggestion. I've stayed at that Mercure but always did the longish walk to the BTS. Wasn't aware they offer a complimentary Tuktuk
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
If you take the Mercure Makkasan tuk tuk to the MRT Station, it will take you 5 minutes to get to the MRT Station. But then at Petchaburi MRT Station if you walk downstairs to the MRT station (in order to walk under the street (Asok Montiri Road)) so that you can then walk up to the airport link using the pedestrian walkway, the total walk will be 15 minutes. And it's all uphill.

You could instead ask the tuk tuk driver to drop you off at the corner as he heads back to the hotel and then walk across the train tracks (either at the intersection or closer to the entrance) to Makkasan Airport Link and take the elevator up.

Or a taxi will get you to the entrance of the Makkasan Airport Link (after driving in a long loop around the front of the station).

I've done all the ways above and have also walked from the hotel (with luggage) a number of times, and so has my 75 year old cousin. Walking on the street is easier than walking on broken sidewalks, but you have to watch where you can cross the train tracks where there are openings in the barriers. Crossing the tracks closer to the hotel (vs. closer to the station) is better.

There is no easy way. The distance walking to the airport link is about the same as the Mercure 11 to Nana BTS.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:29 am
Suspended

Thanks, kevino, for these details.

How far of a walk is it from the Pullman Bangkok King Power to the Phaya Thai Airport Link? Would that be closer than from the Mercure to Makkasan Airport Link?

(For the record, I did check myself on Google Maps. It says 600 meters but I find it's not always accurate in Thailand.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.