Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Pullman King Power to Phaya Thai is a little farther, but much harder bc you have to walk up and then down the pedestrian walkway over the street. The Pullman King Power is a nice hotel but 50-75% more than the Mercure Makassan. The Pullman King Power has a nice executive lounge though.

If you do stay at the Pullman King Power and walk to the airport link, do not walk up the stairs to the BTS. Instead, follow the street and turn left where the new Hotel Tranz is. There is a taxi area there and escalators up to the Airport Link Phaya Thai. Good luck.
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended

kevino,

Thanks very much. Those details are making my decision SO much easier.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:49 am

Novotel Soi 4
Recent stay here because it was cheap ( under B2000). They do offer gold 1 category upgrade and the rooms are very comfortable. I like the fact that they turn on the AirCon prior to arrival. The amenity is a welcome drink and a couple of those rather lurid French meringue cakes in hot pink.
What didn’t work for me was no hot water ( second stay running), had to change rooms ( for a known problem on the 20th floor). It wasted 3 hours of my day; they made no effort at service recovery, not so much as a drink voucher.
Anyone arriving here between now and Dec 31 may be faced with a traffic problem: there is major pipe replacement work going on in Soi 4 ( between around 2100-0500) and the Soi might be blocked at the Sukhumvit end ( but it’s just a 5 minute walk...or taxi entry through the Tobacco Monopoly). Getting to /from Nana BTS is unaffected, on foot via Soi 6)
This is a decent hotel but a few small niggles, like the water, detract from the experience.
IMH likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:09 pm

Mercure Soi 11
4 night stay ( IIRC, my 5th stay here)
What was good: as Gold ( via Ibis card) and upgrade to ‘prestige’ room ( never NOT got this upgrade, and suite x2), these appear to be larger rooms, with Bon Cafe pod machine, ‘free’ mini bar ( just a juice and a couple of soft drinks), welcome drink voucher ( not offered proactively at checkin, it had been on previous stays).
My rate included breakfast ( booked during ‘Black’ sale. It’s *ok*...the room in which it’s served is a bit gloomy, but the food is edible ( and they serve several types of soup; I enjoy this at breakfast)
What was not good: welcome drink voucher not offered at checkin, late checkout not offered at checkin, credit card deposit processed as a confirmed transaction rather than a ‘hold’ ( the room was prepaid), likely to become an issue when the refund is processed due to exchange rate fluctuations. These issues were down to the checkin person but don’t colour my view of the property: I think it’s quite good value and a comfortable, albeit far from luxurious, option.
IMH likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:38 am

The extension of the Sukhumvit Skywalk is almost complete: the walkway into the Sofitel is in place, so too the stairs to street level. It has been pretty frantic activity on it and now only finishing work, like railing and cosmetic things, to complete. I would guess it will be ready for use within a month, at which time it will be possible to walk to Asoke without going to ground level ( although not to Nana as there will still be a gap between the Sofitel and the Hyatt Regency.
Also, it means being able to cross Sukhumvit from the Sofitel, eg, to the park opposite.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:22 pm

Mercure Soi 11
I had another stay here these past few days ( I think I booked it during a sale, can’t remember, but it was pretty inexpensive, around 2000 B)
As Gold ( via Ibis card), got upgrade to prestige room: they’re quite large ( unrenovated but perfectly comfortable). ‘Free’ minibar ( no alcohol).
I like that it’s relatively quiet, considering the location.
What I don’t like : 50/50 chance that the coffee pod machine is not going to work. There’s nothing worse than offering coffee addicts the prospect of a ‘hit’ but failing to delivery through a lousy machine.
I’ll likely stay again.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:19 pm

Ibis Sukhumvit Soi 4
I had a brief stay here. I didn’t know what to expect, but it turned out to be better than OK. Yes, tiny rooms. But impeccably clean, good strong AirCon, quiet ( possibly reflecting low occupancy), edible breakfast, efficient and polite staff, reasonably tasty food at the Grab’nGo. The bathroom ( in the Japanese cubicle style) might not appeal to some, nor the rock hard mattress ( but it’s fine for me)
At under 30USD, including breakfast, welcome drink for Gold, I’m not complaining at all.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
paolo64 thank you for the regular updates, please keep them coming. They are appreciated!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I tried the Ibis Suk 4 a while ago after a few previous stays at the Novotel in the same building. While nothing was wrong with the Ibis, I thought the 50% higher price for the Novotel was worth it. Rooms at the Novotel are usually around 2000 baht, sometimes a bit less. Great value, I think, and comparable in quality to the nearby Novotel Ploenchit but without the executive lounge.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:07 am

Any new input here or specific recomendations if pool area is important. Id like sun for at least a few hours.
preferably more fresh and nice than ”luxury and classic”.
gold status Accor so that chain is my go to.. been at pullman G, grande mercure asok, novotel sukhumvit 20.
whilst Pullman G was ok the location is perhaps not the very best but still ok.

Lounge would be nice, as we will go for club room most likely. But is not a must.
Guess shape of hotels and service may have changed somewhat after covid… so appreciate ant fresh input.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Squeezen
Any new input here or specific recomendations if pool area is important. Id like sun for at least a few hours.
one of the nicest pool is at SO/ Bangkok (photo below)) but the pool is on the north side, so not much sun; lounge is great, but of course as a Gold member, you need to spend some money to get in
Novotel Suk Soi 20 has a rather large pool towards west with a lot of sun from late morning
Goldorak and Squeezen like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Squeezen
gold status Accor so that chain is my go to.. been at pullman G, grande mercure asok, novotel sukhumvit 20.
whilst Pullman G was ok the location is perhaps not the very best but still ok.

Lounge would be nice, as we will go for club room most likely. But is not a must.
Guess shape of hotels and service may have changed somewhat after covid… so appreciate ant fresh input.
Sofitel Sukhumvit is my go-to Accor property in Bangkok. I've stayed in 6 or 7 other Accor properties there and all things considered (especially location, lounge, and pool/fitness) it's my favorite. The pool gets several hours of sun, but they also have quite a few umbrellas for shade (good for me). The only major change in operations today is that the lounge is not used for check-in/-out or breakfast, as it used to be before the pandemic.
austgap and Squeezen like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
A underrated property is the Swissotel Ratchada, good rates, great breakfast, nice pool area, very close to MRT, good treatment for Platinums.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ed Size
A underrated property is the Swissotel Ratchada, good rates, great breakfast, nice pool area, very close to MRT, good treatment for Platinums.
location is of course a bit a setback unless you are in Bangkok for business in that area...

what about the lounge and happy hour offering?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by BinSabai
location is of course a bit a setback unless you are in Bangkok for business in that area...

what about the lounge and happy hour offering?
Lounge and happy hour are very good there, and so is breakfast if you choose to have it in the lounge (it's better than in the restaurant). My beef with this hotel, and the main reason why I would not agree with the statement "great treatment of Platinums" is that they have stopped upgrading to anything beyond junior suite as per my last stay there. So if you book a junior suite you get a junior suite, even if you are Diamond. That plus the fact that the rooms are getting quite dated by now. Until they renovate and/or revise their upgrade policy, I am not staying there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.