Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Novotel London Canary Wharf : super top stay and a big rejuvenation to the Novotel br

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novotel London Canary Wharf : super top stay and a big rejuvenation to the Novotel br

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Than you for the review!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Bokan37 at least 3 weeks ago. Excellent service at least when I stayed there (my first time).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

in Bokan 37, unless something has changed.
Thanks Goldorak, have a stay booked Friday so looking forward to it.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Hopefully you can get the executive suite.. Wow lovely view and the bed was a nice change (Its almost like a Japanese bed in it being very low). Plus the room overall was different from the usual Novotel brand.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:42 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by vtecmini
When I stayed last executive drinks were offered in Bokan 37, is this still the case or are they now only served in the executive lunge on the 2nd floor?

in Bokan 37, unless something has changed.

Originally Posted by aapee
Bokan37 at least 3 weeks ago. Excellent service at least when I stayed there (my first time).
I guess this depends on room. I stayed in a deluxe room four months ago as a platinum member and was only able to use Le Club lounge on the second floor. In a matter of fact, I asked whether the hotel has a separate executive lounge where, according to Accor's website, drinks and canaps are served for guests staying in executive rooms or above and was told that there is only one lounge and that lounge is called both Le Club lounge (for Le Club members) and executive lounge (for those staying on executive rooms or above). Very confusing in my opinion and even more so now when some of us reports here that they have been offered drinks and canaps in Bokan 37. It's in conflict with hotel's communication. This is one reason why this hotel isn't my favourite one in London.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:07 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Wkn traveller, there is only 1 lounge and that is on the 2nd floor. The canapes and drinks are never anywhere else.
We booked and paid for the executive suite and were only sent to the executive lounge which is on the 2nd floor. Its actually nice and comfortable. Yes no view but then softel Heathrow lounge has no view well.
So I Don't think there is anything confusing apart from different staff say different names for the lounge.
What they mean about drinks upstairs on the 37th floor? Can't remember which floor number now but anyway that's the welcome drinks. And that place is really busy In the evening because of the views so I am glad they let us redeem the welcome drinks there.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
Wkn traveller, there is only 1 lounge and that is on the 2nd floor. The canapes and drinks are never anywhere else.
We booked and paid for the executive suite and were only sent to the executive lounge which is on the 2nd floor. Its actually nice and comfortable. Yes no view but then softel Heathrow lounge has no view well.
So I Don't think there is anything confusing apart from different staff say different names for the lounge.
What they mean about drinks upstairs on the 37th floor? Can't remember which floor number now but anyway that's the welcome drinks. And that place is really busy In the evening because of the views so I am glad they let us redeem the welcome drinks there.
vtecmini was asking about executive drinks which doesnt sound like welcome drinks to me.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:11 am

My mistake then. Welcome drinks at bokan37, the happy hour drinks and canapes at the lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:14 am

I may have the terminology wrong re "Executive drinks" but when I stayed last year as Platinum I was upgraded to an executive room and there was a letter from the exec team inviting me to drinks in Bokan 37 where they had roped off a small area and were serving wine, beers and Canapes, this is what I was referring to rather than being able to use the welcome drink voucher.

This was relatively soon after the hotel opened so I was wondering if this was just a temporary situation and whether drinks were now only served in the 2nd floor lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:23 pm

so many free drinks! no wonder we're getting confused..
wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
OK guys, I think it’s time to stop drinking
Theres nothing different in this hotel compared to another one :
- The bar of the hotel is Bokan 37. This is where you use your LCAH drink voucher
- the executive lounge (floor 2) : this is where you have (a limited selection of) evening cocktails and canaps

Any other arrangement was just a temporary one during the soft opening period or for whatever reason.
tris06 and wkndtraveler like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:27 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
OK guys, I think its time to stop drinking
...says the Frenchie.... ;p
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:27 am

Novotel London Canary Wharf: no third time

Novotel London Canary Wharf

Map| 9 Reviews | 33% Recommended

40 Marsh Wall London, GB E14 9TP

Novotel London Canary Wharf: no third time (31 Photos)

My previous stay at the Novotel London Canary Wharf was far from satisfactory. The hotel compensated me generously by offering two complimentary nights for two persons in executive suite breakfast included. At first I wasn’t willing to go back but decided to give this hotel another chance. Unfortunately, this stay wasn’t stress-free either and now I know it: I won’t return.

nlcw.jpg

Booking

I made the reservation for extended weekend for my family directly from the hotel. I paid for one extra night in the suite and three nights in superior room. I informed that I’ll be staying in the superior room and my family members in the executive suite and that we’ll be arriving at 11am.

Check In

Welcome was warm. We were greeted with smile by a guest experience manager and our rooms were ready. However, I had to explain again who of us will be staying in the suite and who in the superior room and yet they made a mistake.

We received two welcome drink vouchers without need to ask and I was upgraded from superior to executive room after I asked which room they gave me. I made sure we all three get welcome drink and the answer was yes. Only after that they took the vouchers back and added the number of guests.

The guest experience manager reminded us that breakfast is included and when it was served. At this point she didn’t mention anything about the lounge and I didn’t ask about it because I already knew that there is one.

Room

My executive room looked similar than the deluxe room where I stayed last time but the executive room was on higher floor and it had a few extra amenities such as Nespresso machine, Nuxe bath products, and ”fully stocked” mini bar (later about that).

exe1.jpg

exe2.jpg

exe3.jpg

exe5.jpg

exe6.jpg

exe7.jpg

exe8.jpg

exe9.jpg

Water was complimentary and there was plenty of it: two big bottles of still and sparkling water. However, the brand (Kingsdown) was different to that in the mini bar menu (Hildon) which was confusing. Was it the complimentary water or not? (Front desk confirmed it was. They should print new price lists.)

exe10.jpg

There wasn’t any hotel manual or letter explaining hotel services, breakfast times (I had already forgotten what I was told while checking in) and other benefits like the lounge. I wasn’t able to find these on TV either. My family members who don’t stay at hotels often also noticed this.

The suite was spacious and divided to living and bedroom. The living room had huge couch, decent writing desk and bookcase. A comfortable double bed was dominating the other side of the room. The interior design of the suite was stylish, industrial, similar to public areas while the executive room was very basic yet functional.

suite1.jpg

suite2.jpg

suite3.jpg

suite4.jpg

suite5.jpg

suite6.jpg

The suite had toilet and bathroom with walk-in shower, the executive room came with bathtub. Soap coaster was missing so we had to use a paper cover from one of glasses.

suite7.jpg

Views from both rooms were amazing, facing the skyline of central London.

view2.jpg

Walls of the suite had cracks and sloppy paint marks which reduced the ambiance and general quality. So did lightning. It was impossible to get mood lightning in the suite. There were several lights in the living room but one switch. It was all either on or off. Very annoying.

suite8.jpg

suite9.jpg

A pathetic welcome amenity, salty cookies, was brought to both rooms but a birthday card was delivered to me and not to my mom who had the birthday of which the hotel was aware.

welcome amenity.jpg

Housekeeping

This is one thing where the hotel need to improve. I, for example, found hairs of previous guest or cleaner in the bathtub. Crisps that were mentioned in the mini bar menu were missing and two gin bottles were empty. The suite had opened ice tea bottle in its mini bar.

hairs.jpg

The suite had two bathrobes but only one pair of slippers. Coffee capsules and water weren’t replenished and all wet towels weren’t changed. One bathrobe was taken away the second day but not replaced with a new one. It took ages to get a clean one and one of us ended up going to spa without a bathrobe.

Rooms were very warm if not hot. The temperature remained below +30 degrees even though I had set it to +16 degrees. I woke up in the middle of the first night dripping wet. I reported this the next morning and a repairman came to check my room: the air conditioner was broken, it was fixed and the two other nights were much more tolerable.

exe11.jpg

When the A/C issue was solved then a cleaner decided to switch off the A/C by taken away the key card beside the door. It was annoying since the room was hot again when returning there in the evening.

Dining

We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Bokan 37 is an excellent restaurant in the evening but quite an opposite in the morning.

1_dinner4.jpg

dinner1.jpg

dinner2.jpg

dinner3.jpg

The breakfast wasn’t very well organized. In the first morning all three of us were welcomed, we were seated quickly and asked what we would like to drink. Soon after that another waiter came and repeated the same question.

A little later we requested some more coffee. After our mugs were refilled we went to get food. When returning to table we found out that our refilled coffee mugs, juices, cutleries, all were gone. The table had been prepared for new customers.

Next morning we were told that our room price included only two persons and the third one need to pay. I asked the headwaiter to call front desk and the issue was sorted out. Third morning came and now all of us was asked to pay since ”your room doesn’t include breakfast.” Again a phone call to reception solved the problem.

I was thinking if the hotel was doing all this for a purpose. (Front desk told later that the reservation was made for two persons only altough the reservation confirmation clearly stated three persons and bed and breakfast package.)

Food items were running out, food that was suppose to be hot was cold and the selection had been deteriorated from the previous stay. Fresh berries, for example, were gone.

Guests could order egg dishes from the kitchen if they wished to do so but one needed to know that. No-one told about it and there wasn’t any breakfast menu available. I gave feedback about this last time already but it seems they couldn’t care less.

4_breakfast1.jpg

Lounge

The lounge is a sad little place and I’m not surprised why it was dead most of the time. There were nine customers at best, including us, but most of the time just three or four people.

During my previous stay at this hotel I gave feedback to a lounge manager about the poor selection of snacks. He assured that he will make changes and improve the variety.

Well, he surely have made some changes but I wouldn’t call it as an improvement. The selection was even worse this time. Almost same snacks every night: one small gyoza per guest (served in two evenings), a tiny cup of cold melon soup per guest (served in two evenings), one deep fried prawn per guest (served in one evening) and handful of sweet popcorns (served every evening). If you asked nicely you were able to get another handful of popcorns. They didn’t serve any desserts anymore.

2_lounge1.jpg

1_lounge2.jpg

One bottle of red and white wine were kept visible, all other drinks (prosecco, beer and soft drinks) were in the fridge and you needed to request them. The service was attentive when the lounge was empty but when it was the busiest time a waiter was nowhere to be seen.

One afternoon they had put bread rolls and fruits on display in the lounge and I took some. I thought it was afternoon tea service, part of the improved services. While I was eating a waiter came to tell that snacks were meant for conference guests. How kind.

1_lounge3.jpg

Later I was told by the guest experience manager that the lounge will be closed soon since not many people use it. Of course not if it’s not advertised anywhere and if the selection is so poor.

The general manager has recently changed here (didn’t met her). She came from Novotel London Blackfriars, the previous GM is currently managing Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

Check Out

I requested late check-out and as usual my request was refused because the hotel was full. However, if I was willing to pay we could have kept our rooms longer. After negotiation they said we can have our rooms until 2pm. That didn’t help us much so we just decided to leave the place after breakfast.

Novotel London Canary Wharf: no third time

Would you like to write a review on the Novotel London Canary Wharf?

No, thank you.
Yes
starflyergold likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
That indeed seems like a hotel to avoid. That paint alone is not excusable. And I have checked rates there a few times and it is always quite expensive. Definitely one of the most expensive novotels I have ever seen.
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

That is sad Because last year we had a wonderful stay in October. The lounge was definately a draw card. I really Hope that is not really happen to close the lounge. But to be honest I don't know why they don't use snacks that go off easily like packaged products due to the low numbers.

The mini bar issues are 2 fold. 1 it is very possible that the previous cutomers were distasteful and took items from the bar without mentioning they used it. In otherwords purposely stealing. 2nd part was housekeeping was lazy to check and did not look for.

I don't know why but also during the peak summer times in Europe the stays are of a poorer quality. Thats what I experienced.

I think importing the manager from another London Novotel was a mistake (So He or She brought her standards from the other hotel). This Novotel was supposed to be better than the average Novotel (flagship Novotel) and so any Manager who takes over should be applying Sofitel standards (of Service and expectations) to this hotel especially when you have a suite and paying 400 pounds per night or more.

If they do dump the lounge it would definately be expected they drop the prices on the suites anyway an ideal world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.