Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SO/ Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: Delta DM
Sofitel So Bangkok - gym?

Is there a good gym at this hotel? Is it complimentary if you are a guest? Does it have also steam/sauna etc? Thx
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Review - So Sofitel Bangkok

Will shortly post my complete review shortly, meanwhile please enjoy this video of my So Lofty Water teamed suite on the 25th. floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1cH_ibz0o&feature=plcp

Cheers
Stein
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
I'm staying in So Studio at 23rd floor now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXt23D668ks

Was promised to get an upgrade today, so let's see what I'll get.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by olisch
I'm staying in So Studio at 23rd floor now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXt23D668ks

Was promised to get an upgrade today, so let's see what I'll get.
Hmm...I'm recognizing this crazy blue Earth element room
Do you like it ?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:01 am

And finally some wonder happened ... I received a significant upgrade. I booked a So Studio and was upgraded to So Suite.

My video might not have the best quality but I give you my word that this suite is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYB6UtCfGVc

By the way, the fat guy in this video is me

Let's see what will happen on sunday, when I will return to Sofitel So Bangkok. I booked a So Suite and was already promised an upgrade.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Do you like it ?
Not so much

So far I stayed at

So Comfy - Wood
So Studio - Earth
So Suite - Water

and the water theme is by far the best. Plus these rooms are on 25th to 28th floor, the highest floors in the hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Not so much
Same for me

and the water theme is by far the best. Plus these rooms are on 25th to 28th floor, the highest floors in the hotel.
I agree too.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:38 am

I'm back at Sofitel So now and as promised before I got upgraded again. Booked a So Suite and got a So Lofty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yIfXCxh74A
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thanks Olish for sharing all those videos with us ^
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks Olish for sharing all those videos with us ^
yin dee khrap ...
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Having stayed twice at the So Sofitel (total of 8 nights) and once at Sofitel Sukhomvit (6 nights) (suite rooms booked and received at both hotels) I have to say that So Sofitel wins hands downs down. The service at the hotel from greeting at the front door to welcome gift in the suite (as a plat) is excellent. But for me it is the service in the lounge that reality makes a difference; where the huge Sofitel Suk looses out big time is on personal service in the lounge. The So offers personal service by name, and the Suk Sofitel does not.

This is my personal experience with both hotels and my thoughts about both properties.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:44 am

Hi, guys,

I'm deciding between Sofitel So and Sofitel Sukh...Any experience of being upgraded as Platinum(holding the free one though) to their club room while booking their So Comfy room?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by SASDC8
Having stayed twice at the So Sofitel (total of 8 nights) and once at Sofitel Sukhomvit (6 nights) (suite rooms booked and received at both hotels) I have to say that So Sofitel wins hands downs down. The service at the hotel from greeting at the front door to welcome gift in the suite (as a plat) is excellent. But for me it is the service in the lounge that reality makes a difference; where the huge Sofitel Suk looses out big time is on personal service in the lounge. The So offers personal service by name, and the Suk Sofitel does not.
Wow! Guess I have to try Sofitel So next time. Every time I walked into the lounge at Sofitel Suk I was greeted by name and asked about my preferences and received some of the most personal service ever! Perhaps you're just not as handsome as me?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
Here's my review after a recent 5 night stay.

I am Platinum and booked a So Comfy Water Element Room. I did not get upgraded, but they did offer Club lounge access.

I suppose hotel reviews and choices are very subjective to the individual so I hope you bear that in mind. While the Sofitel So could be described as "modern", "chic" "uber", "minamilist" and "designer" it just wasn't for me. I cannot fault the hotel for its branding and focusing on its target market but I think I would have been better off at a more traditional hotel like the Four Seasons ($$$$) or Intercontinental ($$$).

I was extremely impressed with the view over Lumpini Park from my room. I can't say enough how incredible the view was, becuase it was. There are many aspects of the room that were great, but some were a bit off-putting. For example:

Positives

1. bed - extremely comfortable
2. TV and media
3. Large shower/tub enclosure with spectacular views
4. Internet connectivity
5. Closet/Dressing area behind bed

Not-SO Positives

1. Sink - seems this is a case of style over substance. Why is it SO big? and takes away needed counter space for toiletries. The faucet was "touchy" and inevitably when you turn it on out comes a rush of water soaking all of your toiletries.
2. Tub/Bath - seems like a lot of wasted space
3. Room was actually quite small, even though this was an upgrade from the So Cozy room.
4. Some cleanliness issues (cobwebs in lower corner of window)
5. Seems like some of the material used (i.e flooring), and desk was done on the cheap and shows signs of wear and tear easily.
6. Fish - I had two siamese fighting fish in the room, each in their separate rectangular bowl. For the first 5 minutes I thought it was "neat" and would watch the fish, but after a while I questioned the inclusion of the fish in my room. I know I was in the water themed room and it was part of the style, but just seems a bit weird.

The Red Oven buffet for breakfast was very good and would recommend it highly. Although I did have one service issue (i.e. forgetting about me) when I was put in the back side of the restaurant when it was busy, so best to get there early and sit in the front with the views.

Hallways were dimly lit with installation modern art throughout the floors, adding to the "chic" vibe, but made it difficult to find your room!

All of the staff wear these fun whimsical uniforms. I asked one of them what they really thought of them and they told me, rather honestly I thought, that they were quite hot and uncomfortable.

The pool was also another hit where you can while away the hours gazing out over the city while taking a dip. I was very happy to hear they had a Steam/Suana room but was quite disappointed when I used it. The temperature did not get very hot and while I was using it (3pm) there was remodelling/repair being done in the showers with the sounds of drills being used right outside the steam room door. Not very relaxing to the guest. They also have a jacuzzi next to the pool but did not use it as the water was tepid.

I had access to the Executive Lounge on the 25th floor, Club Signature. It was a nice retreat with a small balcony in which to enjoy a glass of wine and nibbles. It was mostly empty while I attended, which was fine with me. The lounge was designed by Christian Lacroix so again it has this chic and whimsical air to it.

I found the location to be "ok". I have been to BKK before so I knew that the Sofitel So wasn't right in the heart of all the action, but was only a few stops on the MRT away as the Lumpini Station was across the street, about a 4 minute walk.

Every morning I got up early and went for a jog, along with hundreds of others, around Lumpini Park. What a great way to start the day. Being so close to Lumpini Park is definitely one of the hotel's assets.

For local eateries you could take stroll of about 10-15 minutes into the Sala Daeng/Patpong area where there are numerous options or you could also try the Life Center across the street where they have a few good casual restaurants and the obligatory Starbucks.

Last edited by wannagoexplore; Apr 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:03 am

Great review! I stayed there once and decided I don't need to go out of my way to stay there again the 2nd time. It's not because my first stay was so dreadful that I need to avoid it, but Bangkok has so many great hotels to sample and I already have few favorites that I'd love to return to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.