Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel London Heathrow LHR Terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2014 : BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum for Life , LH/LX Senator, Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, CX Plat
Sofitel London Heathrow LHR Terminal 5

Stay there last Friday for a night.

Fare : 89 GBP plus taxes room only (booking 2 weeks before the stay, no cancelation possible)

Upgraded at check-in to a Superior King
(I have request for an upgrade as Flying Blue Platinum and Sofitel Privilege, not sure if I was suppose to received it but was granted without any problem)

A bit of a walk from the terminal ( Reception told me that BAA will putt more signs on the way from the terminal soon) and a bit af a walk from the reception to the room (layout of the hotel is funny)

Good check-in. A lot of BA crew members at check-in. I was told that soon they will have their own check-in facility in the terminal (for BA staff only)

Nice room, lot of light, good taste, Hermes products in the bathroom, excellent bedding and pullows.

Room service : bad experience-around midnight-. My cold cheeseburger came without salt, peper, ketchup, fries, and onions (all that was on the menu). I called the chef who send me an other one. They forgot the knife or fork with the second one but it was good at the end.

Wake up call : on time, first an automatic call and a few minutes later the reception for confirmation.

The minibar was empty.

Good tea and coffee facilities in the room.

Bath and nice shower in the bathroom.

Check out : Good. It was not possible for the agent to credit my Flying Blue account but they told me that they will do that manually...
My comments on the room service have been noted by the agent.

A good airport hotel. Will be back if that fare is still available.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2014 : BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum for Life , LH/LX Senator, Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, CX Plat
Sofitel LHR London Heathrow T5 : Review

SOFITEL LHR T5 Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay there last Friday for a night.

Fare : 89 GBP plus taxes room only (booking 2 weeks before the stay, no cancelation possible)

Upgraded at check-in to a Superior King
(I have request for an upgrade as Flying Blue Platinum and Sofitel Privilege, not sure if I was suppose to received it but was granted without any problem)

A bit of a walk from the terminal ( Reception told me that BAA will putt more signs on the way from the terminal soon) and a bit af a walk from the reception to the room (layout of the hotel is funny)

Good check-in. A lot of BA crew members at check-in. I was told that soon they will have their own check-in facility in the terminal (for BA staff only)

Nice room, lot of light, good taste, Hermes products in the bathroom, excellent bedding and pullows.

Room service : bad experience-around midnight-. My cold cheeseburger came without salt, peper, ketchup, fries, and onions (all that was on the menu). I called the chef who send me an other one. They forgot the knife or fork with the second one but it was good at the end.

Wake up call : on time, first an automatic call and a few minutes later the reception for confirmation.

The minibar was empty.

Good tea and coffee facilities in the room.

Bath and nice shower in the bathroom.

Check out : Good. It was not possible for the agent to credit my Flying Blue account but they told me that they will do that manually...
My comments on the room service have been noted by the agent.

A good airport hotel. Will be back if that fare is still available.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Thanks for the review ^ I take it you would advise using a trolley from the terminal then (even just with hand luggage) if it's a fair walk?

I have a room booked in a couple of weeks at the same rate you got. I plan to hand over my BA EC card for the triple miles offer.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Are you still able to get the miles on the £89 rates? I thought it said "applicable rates" and I wondered if this applied to the £89 one.

BTW - are the rates you've got from the Sofitel website? I have a good rate in October, though not quite as good as this. I know at the moment they say business is slow for them so maybe this is why it's so low.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:10 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I stayed there last Thursday:

My main compaints : $38 for very poor Continental Breakfast

and $13 for a 10 second local Mobile Phone call to a Voicemail

Almost as bad as $54 for a room service Hot Breakfast at The 3 star Novotel Hammersmith-West London
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Are you still able to get the miles on the £89 rates? I thought it said "applicable rates" and I wondered if this applied to the £89 one.

BTW - are the rates you've got from the Sofitel website? I have a good rate in October, though not quite as good as this. I know at the moment they say business is slow for them so maybe this is why it's so low.
Hi sunrisegirl

According to the Triple Miles Offer T&Cs it says *Eligible rates: Premium, Smart and Early rates.

My £89 + VAT rate was called "EARLY RATE - Prepaid, 15 day advance purchase, no refund" so to me that should qualify. Yes, I got the rate direct from sofitel.com.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:38 am

What does make me laugh when booking on sofitel.com is the option to upgrade your room before completing the booking. Surprisingly I decided not to change my 89 GBP + taxes rate to the Opera Suite Club Millésime for an additional 1610.92 GBP!!

I can live without the 2 bedrooms and extra living area, lounge access, 95sqm/1012sqf, bathrooms with bath and separate walk-in shower, free a la carte breakfast in fine dining restaurant, selection of free soft drinks and alcoholic beverages in minibar, Club Millésime Lounge access and Butler service for one night
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:53 am

Only used Sofitel at St James in London although am booked for the LA one in October. Would have used them at T5 had we been on the 1st flight to SFO instead of the afternoon one.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA1A
Thanks for the review ^ I take it you would advise using a trolley from the terminal then (even just with hand luggage) if it's a fair walk?

I have a room booked in a couple of weeks at the same rate you got. I plan to hand over my BA EC card for the triple miles offer.
Trolley is not needed for hand luggage

Mhhhh how can I have forgot the triple miles promotion with BAEC ? Too late for me now.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I stayed there last Thursday:

My main compaints : $38 for very poor Continental Breakfast

and $13 for a 10 second local Mobile Phone call to a Voicemail
The hotel charged you for using your mobile phone? Thats extreme even for the UK
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:46 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Used it for a meeting today - not at all impressed

One chap from the US and another from HKG coming to meet up for the day. Meeting room for four (Board Room) was £1000 a day - told them that the Hilton T4 is £250 and they dropped it to £450. (They tell me that it's a Five Star hotel, and much better than anywhere else near the airport). But a Junior Suite as a Day Room was £229, so booked that and we agreed that they'd put in a table for four plus chairs. Told them that the chap from the USA would arrive early and they put a note in the reservation to allow him to check in to the room booked in my name. All OK so far.

The US chap gets there this morning and there's nothing in my reservation to allow him to check in, so he provides his own credit card. Schleps his luggage to the room - or tries to... the stairs are a bit much and the lift is broken so he schleps back to Reception and uses the other lift. Gets to the room and there's no meeting table. Calls Reception and they tell him they can't provide one as the room is too small.

He cancels the room and goes back to the T5 Arrivals Lounge to freshen up.

We get there and the hotel tell us that they would not have offered to put a table in the guest suite. But they suggest the Business Centre meeting rooms - normally £65 an hour, but they'll do it for £35 (inc VAT), which isn't too bad.

The room is smallish, but OK, but the aircon doesn't work too well and it's quite stuffy. We mention it and they send someone along, but it doesn't get much better. We switch to the next meeting room which is a bit better.

Service quality is OK - but that's about it. Definitely not Five Star:
  • Reception staff not well groomed. One guy had his tie half done up. Not a big deal, but also not a 5* hotel
  • Eight staff on Reception - guest waits for about 30 seconds before anyone acknowledges his presence. Also not a big deal, but also not 5*
  • Ordered tea and got a flask of hot water and tea bags. Not a big deal but......
  • No towels in the loo. Just a hot air blower. Not a big deal but......

So, altogether not impressed at all. Perhaps it'll get better when they've been open for a few months.....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:47 pm

I have had a tour around and I have to say that the staff were lovely although they did not seem to know some basic facts. I loved it in comparison to other airport hotels. There is a tea room called Tea 5 which offers over 80 different blends of tea, which is a nice idea (do not drink all 80 unless you really don't want to sleep for a week though).

To be fair they are not fully open yet and do seem to be training staff and finishing some basic features (like lifts etc).
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:43 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
To be fair they are not fully open yet and do seem to be training staff and finishing some basic features (like lifts etc).
That sounds awfully familiar! Roll back to March!
They didn't have to go and copy T5 itself "training staff and finishing some basic features (like lifts)".
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:11 am

We need to overnight at/near Heathrow on December 10th.

Sofitel website quotes me £274.95 for a 15 day advance purchase Early Rate. That's more than my mortgage payments used to be per month!

Methinks I'll be going the usual Priceline route!

Nigel.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller
We need to overnight at/near Heathrow on December 10th.

Sofitel website quotes me £274.95 for a 15 day advance purchase Early Rate. That's more than my mortgage payments used to be per month!

Methinks I'll be going the usual Priceline route!

Nigel.
Must be because it is mid-week and December. Sunday 14th December is a more reasonable £128.08 including VAT. I just checked for the 10th December and the Early Rate it showed me was £233.82 including VAT so not sure why you see £274.95. Even so that is still way too much I agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.