Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Zimbali Lodge and Zimbali Resort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.hotelinteractive.com/hi_i...ticle_id=10668

A new resort today joins the Fairmont Hotels & Resorts portfolio -- Fairmont Zimbali Lodge, located in Zimbali, a mixed-use, 700-hectare coastal resort, north of Durban, South Africa. Set within the serene confines of a coastal forest reserve on the north coast of KwaZulu Natal, the 76-room resort overlooks the Indian Ocean and is surrounded by lush vegetation and beautiful gardens.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:42 pm

Has anyone stayed at either of the South African Fairmonts? I am planning a trip to South Africa, but not sure about the location and whether or not there are any safari parks near there...
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by thetenken
Has anyone stayed at either of the South African Fairmonts? I am planning a trip to South Africa, but not sure about the location and whether or not there are any safari parks near there...
I've stayed at both the lodge and the resort in Zimbali. I liked the lodge much more as it was more rustic and had serious character. The resort may be better now as when I was there I was the only guest as it was the week of it's opening.

In Zimbali you are pretty removed from everything and a good 30 -50 min drive from downtown Durban.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by bsaced
I've stayed at both the lodge and the resort in Zimbali. I liked the lodge much more as it was more rustic and had serious character. The resort may be better now as when I was there I was the only guest as it was the week of it's opening.

In Zimbali you are pretty removed from everything and a good 30 -50 min drive from downtown Durban.
Thanks for the feedback. Is Zimbali anywhere near good safari sites, or is that further north? I'm not much into golf, but would like to go somewhere to relax, see animals, enjoy nature, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:02 am

Thanks for the feedback. Is Zimbali anywhere near good safari sites, or is that further north? I'm not much into golf, but would like to go somewhere to relax, see animals, enjoy nature, etc.
I went to Kruger in the north which is about 12 hours drive away but I have been told that kwa zulu has several game parks in close proximity to the zimbali lodge as well as national heritage and world sites up in zululand, so this might be your best bet with limited time. The best advice I can give if you have a few extra days is to take advantage of the cheap BA award redemptions from South Africa to Namibia (5K miles each way I think?) and spend a few days in Namibia. Just an amazingly beautiful country. Then again so is South Africa but people tend to miss Namibia altogether.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:19 pm

less than 2 hour drive from Zimbali you will find the Hluhluwe/Umfolozi game park, which in my opinion is far better than Kruger when it comes to seeing the Big 5. There are also a number of smaller game parks which abutt it and also host the big 5 - Phinda, Thanda etc. They are serious 5 star resorts in their own rights, both being rated amongst the best in the world.

In that region you also have lake St. Lucia nearby home to 1000s of crocs and hippos and very easy to see them all. As well as whales and dolphins in the ocean.

I would recommend a few days in Zimbali to soak up all it has to offer and the surrounds of Durban and then head for 2/3 days by the game parks 2 hours away. Will give you a fantastic city, beach and bush holiday.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by dysan1
less than 2 hour drive from Zimbali you will find the Hluhluwe/Umfolozi game park, which in my opinion is far better than Kruger when it comes to seeing the Big 5. There are also a number of smaller game parks which abutt it and also host the big 5 - Phinda, Thanda etc. They are serious 5 star resorts in their own rights, both being rated amongst the best in the world.

In that region you also have lake St. Lucia nearby home to 1000s of crocs and hippos and very easy to see them all. As well as whales and dolphins in the ocean.

I would recommend a few days in Zimbali to soak up all it has to offer and the surrounds of Durban and then head for 2/3 days by the game parks 2 hours away. Will give you a fantastic city, beach and bush holiday.
Great advice!!! I can picture those hippos and whales already
Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos
Great advice!!! I can picture those hippos and whales already
Kokinos.. you seriously considering going down?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

We will be at Zimbali in Aug - are there day safari tours available from Fairmont Zimbali Resort or do we have to book a resort in the game park?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:10 am

You would need to check with the hotel, but most hotels in the area offer this service, leave very early morning and return late. However the best times to see animals is often very early or evening. If you are just looking for a taste of the bush a day trip will be good and you are still likely to see a lot. But if you want the true bush experience I'd recommend spending at least one night at a resort in the bush. Hope it helps!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:45 pm

You would need to check with the hotel, but most hotels in the area offer this service, leave very early morning and return late. However the best times to see animals is often very early or evening. If you are just looking for a taste of the bush a day trip will be good and you are still likely to see a lot. But if you want the true bush experience I'd recommend spending at least one night at a resort in the bush. Hope it helps!
Sounds cool. I'll definitely have to check it out! What's the easiest way to Zimbali from JoBurg? Rent a car?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Sounds cool. I'll definitely have to check it out! What's the easiest way to Zimbali from JoBurg? Rent a car?
Seems like a pretty long drive to me. The easiest option seems to be to fly into Durban and take a car/taxi from the airport (about 40min)
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the info. Looks like we will book at least one night at a game reserve.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Seems like a pretty long drive to me. The easiest option seems to be to fly into Durban and take a car/taxi from the airport (about 40min)
Definately fly from Joburg to Durban. The new Durban airport is 15mins max from Zimbali
Old May 18, 2011, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
As Iīm planning to visit the Zimbali Resort, I was wondering whether anyone has been there lately?

Are there any "must do" activities? Are the prices at the restaurants reasonable? (I canīt seem to find a menu for any of the restaurants online)

So far my interaction with the hotel hasnīt been too impressive, but I wonīt jump to any conclusions before staying there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.