Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Peace Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Just Checked of the Peace Hotel this morning. Spent 2 nights and had 2 rooms. Mine was Suite and it was a marvelous room that was well appointed.
Despite the poor write ups here. I would rate this as a priemer place to stay in Shanghai. I have stayed in Pudong many times and it but if you want location this is it. The service was to wonderfull. Everbody greeted you whever you went. Had dinner in Chinese restaurant Dragon Phoenix. It was very good. I was there with some locals and they also enjoyed it. I will certainly come back here. This hotel is excellent and I highly recommend
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:50 pm

I just returned from a stay in Shanghai at the Peace. I spent 4 nights in a massive 2 bathroom suite then took a side trip to some other cities and returned to the Peace for another 8 nights in a deluxe room. The Peace is by far the nicest place to stay in Shanghai. Its location is right on the Bund so you are close to everything. The staff is top notch, I encountered friendly and efficient staff who anticipated my needs. The front desk people all speak very good english, even the bellmen had adequate english.

The hotel itself is completely restored to its full historic glory and the rooms have full modern amenities. I have stayed at Fairmont's other crown jewels like the Empress, the Banff Springs and JPL and the Peace is easily as grand and luxurious as those other landmark hotels.

All I can say is that if you are in Shanghai, the Peace is the place to be, its a destination in of itself.

Last edited by dwedmon; Nov 11, 2010 at 9:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dwedmon
I just returned from a stay in Shanghai at the Peace. I spent 4 nights in a massive 2 bathroom suite then took a side trip to some other cities and returned to the Peace for another 8 nights in a deluxe room. The Peace is by far the nicest place to stay in Shanghai. Its location is right on the Bund so you are close to everything. The staff is top notch, I encountered friendly and efficient staff who anticipated my needs. The front desk people all speak very good english, even the bellmen had adequate english.

The hotel itself is completely restored to its full historic glory and the rooms have full modern amenities. I have stayed at Fairmont's other crown jewels like the Empire, the Banff Springs and JPL and the Peace is easily as grand and luxurious as those other landmark hotels.

All I can say is that if you are in Shanghai, the Peace is the place to be, its a destination in of itself.
Thank´s for the report! Great first post! ^
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
... Fairmont's other crown jewels like the Empress, the Banff Springs and JPL and the Peace is easily as grand and luxurious as those other landmark hotels...
If you are comparing the Peace Hotel to the Empress, Banff Springs, and JPL in terms of "luxury" you don't know what you are talking about. The latter three hotels are hardly "luxurious." They are grand historic hotels updated adequately to modern standards, but I cannot describe them as "luxurious."

The Peace Hotel on the other hand, is quite luxurious in its physical amenities (I think you failed to mention that it is still currently without a working spa or gym, however). Service and attention to detail are what leave a lot to be desired for a hotel of this caliber and in China, where one should expect nothing but fawning attention. To most experienced travelers, the personal attention and discriminating attention to details are what a "luxury" hotel is all about, and sadly few at the Peace Hotel understand it.

Last edited by jkc22; Nov 12, 2010 at 10:45 am
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:23 am

Any recent stays?

Just wondering what the Platinum amenities are like these days?

I realize that the Gold floors have the breakfasts and lounge access - but are there any extra benefits for a Platinum member in a 'regular' room / suite upgrade certificate used?

Specifically, many hotels in China seem to include a buffet breakfast in the lobby restaurant for their elite members - would a Plat have that offered to them? Or do you have to get a Gold room for any such benefit?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold

The hotel itself is completely restored to its full historic glory and the rooms have full modern amenities. I have stayed at Fairmont's other crown jewels like the Empress, the Banff Springs and JPL and the Peace is easily as grand and luxurious as those other landmark hotels.

Thanks for your report. After reading your experience I am convinced that I made a right decision by booking a Fairmont Grand Gold room for our upcoming trip to Shanghai in April^ It took some time to decide the hotel between so many interesting alternatives.
Hopefully we'll get some new reports from Fairmont Peace hotel. I would particulary like to hear how Fairmont Gold service competes with executive floors of other up scale hotels in Shanghai.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Teme, how was your stay at this Hotel?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by RJ77
Teme, how was your stay at this Hotel?
I was very satisfied with my stay at Fairmont Peace Hotel. The renovation of the hotel has been done well and to great detail - you can easily imagine the grand old days of the hotel.
The room was nicely decorated and especially the bathroom was impressive. No Pudong view, though. Location is perfect.
The service at Fairmont Gold lounge was polite and discrete. The food and drink offerings at the lounge were okay, but not the best I have had.
Overall, I can say that this was one of the best hotel stays I have experienced.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:35 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently? For such an historic hotel in a major city I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews here!

I have 2 nights in Shanghai in a few weeks before coming back to Canada and am thinking of staying here. The hotel is on this month's Great Rates, but I'm wondering if Room/Suite certs or Gold floor is worth it. It would also requalify me for next year as a Plat.

My alternative is the Hilton or an SPG hotel on points (with lounge access at either).

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Has anyone stayed here recently? For such an historic hotel in a major city I'm surprised that there aren't more reviews here!

I have 2 nights in Shanghai in a few weeks before coming back to Canada and am thinking of staying here. The hotel is on this month's Great Rates, but I'm wondering if Room/Suite certs or Gold floor is worth it. It would also requalify me for next year as a Plat.
I had an awesome stay last year. Used Suite upgrade and it was gorgeous but with not a great view... but an amazing location and great breakfast too! I also stayed at the Hongta (SPG) and two others and liked the Fairmont the best.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by painintheuk

My alternative is the Hilton or an SPG hotel on points (with lounge access at either).

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
I've stayed here twice. On gold floor both times. A great experience and I was happy with my choice and the location.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:02 pm

This is going to be my only Fairmont stay for 2017 in July (4 nights), so I am going for the Prestige 4th night free and I will try to apply all my certificates, including the 3rd night free to see where that gets me. It's ranked #6 on TripAdvisor, so it can't be all bad. Remind me to report back mid-July for a review
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:17 am

I guess it is mid-July already. I was here July 4-8, with my 3rd night free and a suite upgrade. I was in 622, not quite on the corner but with a good view of the Bund.

view

The room was comfy enough. Lots of space. The bathroom consisted of 2 toilets (one in a different bathroom), a large closet/robe room (no picture), 1 standing rain shower stall (large), 1 tub, double vanity sink, with the standard Fairmont amenities.

bath

The living room and bedrooms were also plenty large, a decent TV in both, some lychee as my welcome fruit, a standard mini-bar and coffee selection (sorry, I used neither so I can't tell you if it was Keurig or Nespresso), outlets in all the right places, A/C on full blast the whole time because it is not very efficient, and the ceilings are high (it was 30-35 deg. C the whole trip with 80% humidity outside), Wi-Fi was average at best but the coverage was good.

bed

living

The service was really good. Everyone seemed to keep a good eye on the goings on near and in the lobby. It was the first week of summer holiday so it was super crowded down in the Bund area all week. This hotel is smack in the middle of it. It's about a 7 minute walk to the Nanjing Rd. E subway station and the pedestrian street. About a 1 minute walk to the Bund. Taxis are abundant. The food at the Cathay Room on the 9th floor was pretty darn good. It was surprisingly empty the night I went. My 3rd night free processed with no hitch. No word on the Prestige 4th night yet.

On the right trip I'd stay here again. I say that because now that I have, I would normally try somewhere else, not because this place in any way was not worth it.

Adding this response from the Prestige concierge:
Dear traveller,

Thank you for emailing us a copy of your folio. We have proceeded with your 4th Night Credit. That was a great promotion with the 3rd night free with our 4th night free. Your credit of $414.17 USD should be seen on your statement within 5- 7 days.

We thank you for using your Citi Prestige card and look forward to assisting you with your future travels.

Last edited by niehaubs; Jul 13, 2017 at 9:58 am Reason: fixed the pix
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by niehaubs
Adding this response from the Prestige concierge:
Dear traveller,

Thank you for emailing us a copy of your folio. We have proceeded with your 4th Night Credit. That was a great promotion with the 3rd night free with our 4th night free. Your credit of $414.17 USD should be seen on your statement within 5- 7 days.

We thank you for using your Citi Prestige card and look forward to assisting you with your future travels.
Score! Thanks for the confirmation that this is doable. Many have questioned whether this could pan out successfully.

We also stayed at this property but had a side room. We were only there one complimentary night so didn't bother to try the suite upgrade. The better view is definitely the advantage there.

There is a rooftop balcony somewhere. Is that part of the Gold lounge or a restaurant?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question any recent stays?

It has been four months since this thread was updated - and I think I know why?
I am planning a three-night stay in Jan. So I checked best available rates and its way more pricey than the St. Regis!
I know, the St. Regis is not as well located. But Shanghai has a decent subway, so does that really matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.