Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Savoy, A Fairmont Managed Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Sounds like since the renovation, they've tightened up suite redemptions.. Again, call up reservations or the hotel and see if you can purchase a higher room category and redeem the family suite or higher.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Sounds like since the renovation, they've tightened up suite redemptions.. Again, call up reservations or the hotel and see if you can purchase a higher room category and redeem the family suite or higher.

I am sure we will be able to work something out. I will call as soon as we receive the 2011 platinum package.

I used last years suite upgrade certificates at the Banff Springs for 1051 & 1054. Thanks again AM
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Grumble grumble

Just got off the phone with FPC, the Savoy is not taking any certificates until September.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by qbrain
Just got off the phone with FPC, the Savoy is not taking any certificates until September.
I guess you´re referring to the free night certs?

This kind of capacity control, which is not mentioned anywhere in the T&C, is very umimpressive!

Let´s hope it´s only a Plaza and Savoy thing as they´re only "managed by Fairmont", but IMO that´s no real excuse for their policy.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

This kind of capacity control, which is not mentioned anywhere in the T&C, is very umimpressive!

Let´s hope it´s only a Plaza and Savoy thing as they´re only "managed by Fairmont", but IMO that´s no real excuse for their policy.
Yeah, that does suck. I was looking forward some day to Stompin' at the Savoy.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I assumed that the fine print mentioned that the Plaza and Savoy are different.
I just got back from a vacation and got my 2011 Platinum credentials. The coupons don't mention it and the URL it directs one to does not either.

The only relevant thing is that the coupons are "subject to availability at time of reservation". Well what the heck does that mean? Obviously, if a hotel is sold out of rooms (or upgraded rooms/suites, if using those sorts of coupons), they aren't going to oversell. Do they really think that "subject to availability" can mean whatever they want it to mean, without any further elaboration?

PS I am using a free night and a suite upgrade coupon at the Savoy ... but I booked the room 13-14 months in advance, easily the farthest out that I have booked anything.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I assumed that the fine print mentioned that the Plaza and Savoy are different.
I just got back from a vacation and got my 2011 Platinum credentials. The coupons don't mention it and the URL it directs one to does not either.

The only relevant thing is that the coupons are "subject to availability at time of reservation". Well what the heck does that mean? Obviously, if a hotel is sold out of rooms (or upgraded rooms/suites, if using those sorts of coupons), they aren't going to oversell. Do they really think that "subject to availability" can mean whatever they want it to mean, without any further elaboration?

PS I am using a free night and a suite upgrade coupon at the Savoy ... but I booked the room 13-14 months in advance, easily the farthest out that I have booked anything.
Agree total

Last years free night I finally got use on my fourth or fifth attempt, I don't even remember anymore....
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

The agent said no certs, so I assume that meant free nights, room upgrades and suite upgrades, but yes, I was trying to use a free night cert and I didn't ask for further clarification.

Let me provide a little more detail about the call that I should have originally. I called to use the free night cert, the agent said "Ok, I have to call the Savoy to check since it is a Fairmont managed property, not a Fairmont owned property, all certificates have to be approved by them." She came back after a few minutes and said that the Savoy was not taking certs until September, or after September. I was too heartbroken to care, and to choked up to speak, so I squeeked a good bye and went off to cry.

Last edited by qbrain; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qbrain
The agent said no certs, so I assume that meant free nights, room upgrades and suite upgrades, but yes, I was trying to use a free night cert and I didn't ask for further clarification.

Let me provide a little more detail about the call that I should have originally. I called to use the free night cert, the agent said "Ok, I have to call the Savoy to check since it is a Fairmont managed property, not a Fairmont owned property, all certificates have to be approved by them." She came back after a few minutes and said that the Savoy was not taking certs until September, or after September. I was too heartbroken to care, and to choked up to speak, so I squeeked a good bye and went off to cry.
Thank´s for the clarification. That´s what I suspected, the restrictions on using certs are due to the fact that the Plaza and the Savoy are only "managed by Fairmont".

Still pretty ridiculous IMO as it isn´t mentioned anywhere in the T&C.

It´s not like there are thousands of Plats redeeming 10 free nights each at one property. Most Plats get one free night cert per year and will often book at least one additional paid night (and spend some money on F&B etc., not to mention the compensation the hotels receive from Fairmont), so not a very impressive policy IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I must bring this thread back from what seems to be "the dead". My wife and I did a mini Europe tour and the Savoy was our first stop, and boy were we impressed. We stayed here using a free night cert and a suite upgrade cert, and we are really glad we did. This hotel is simply amazing. The decor everywhere in the hotel is incredible. Their remodel was $400 mil well spent. We stayed in an art deco jr. Suite (and had a butler), and frankly experienced the best service in quite a while. The room looked new and was absolutely beautiful. Everyone in the hotel was attentive and helpful. We ate at The Savoy Grill which was very good. Overall, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in London. The hotel was that good. Great location, amazing decor and rooms, great food in the restaurants, lively and fun bar, and excellent service. We loved it and want to go back already.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by diggity
I must bring this thread back from what seems to be "the dead". My wife and I did a mini Europe tour and the Savoy was our first stop, and boy were we impressed. We stayed here using a free night cert and a suite upgrade cert, and we are really glad we did. This hotel is simply amazing. The decor everywhere in the hotel is incredible. Their remodel was $400 mil well spent. We stayed in an art deco jr. Suite (and had a butler), and frankly experienced the best service in quite a while. The room looked new and was absolutely beautiful. Everyone in the hotel was attentive and helpful. We ate at The Savoy Grill which was very good. Overall, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in London. The hotel was that good. Great location, amazing decor and rooms, great food in the restaurants, lively and fun bar, and excellent service. We loved it and want to go back already.
Cool! Did you just stay the one night?.. or were you there multiple nights?..

I couldn't imagine just staying at the Savoy just for one night..
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Cool! Did you just stay the one night?.. or were you there multiple nights?..

I couldn't imagine just staying at the Savoy just for one night..
We were there for two nights and really should have stayed for 3-4.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador BA Executive Club Silver, HHonors Gold
We haven't even stayed at The Savoy yet & not too impressed. Have booked 2 nights from Saturday for a special birthday, using a suite upgrade cert. Last night I logged in to find my reservation cancelled (not by me). A call to the Platinum line and the agent could only tell that it was "cancelled by the hotel due to the riots"

Nanny state or what? I'd like to make that decision myself.

I phoned the Savoy first thing and after a lot of muzak the girl came back and said the cancellation was for a booking with a similar name & reinstated ours - just a glib apology.

If I hadn't logged into my reservations, we could have turned up at the hotel with no room reserved.

Should I make a bit of a fuss at reception for the stress & inconvenience caused and demand a gesture to make up for this?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zebradome
We haven't even stayed at The Savoy yet & not too impressed. Have booked 2 nights from Saturday for a special birthday, using a suite upgrade cert. Last night I logged in to find my reservation cancelled (not by me). A call to the Platinum line and the agent could only tell that it was "cancelled by the hotel due to the riots"

I phoned the Savoy first thing and after a lot of muzak the girl came back and said the cancellation was for a booking with a similar name & reinstated ours - just a glib apology.

If I hadn't logged into my reservations, we could have turned up at the hotel with no room reserved.

Should I make a bit of a fuss at reception for the stress & inconvenience caused and demand a gesture to make up for this?
Things like that shouldn´t happen. I´m not a huge fan of "what compensation should I get?" threads, but if you want to complain, i wouldn´t complain at the front desk (it will just ruin the start of your stay), but rather send a brief e-mail to the hotel/FPC manager/GM/whoever in advance telling them you weren´t overly impressed by this indcident and hope your stay will be better.

If your stay is still some months in the future, I´d not contact them immediately as I´m sure they have other things to worry about right now with the mobs choosing a new area each night.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zebradome

Bad form imo.. has never happened to me before.. and I thought I probably experienced everything that could have happened..

As Jasper2009 suggests, make a note to the Hotel Manager, or Front Desk Manager about the screw up, and give them your feedback..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.