Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Empress Resort Hotel Victoria, BC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2001, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Hi All--

I rarely stay at any Fairmont hotels, but am staying at the Empress with my two kids in early August for 2 nights.

Is it worth it to sign up for the Fairmont Hotel Frequent Stayer Club? Will I reap much at all in benefits from this one stay? Or am I better off requesting mileage when I check in?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 6:35 am

The Empress has rooms of wildly varying sizes, as is typical of older, non-cookiecutter hotels. You'll often get a better room just because you're a hotel club member, even if you have no status/points in the club. I'd sign up in advance.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I think you get the airline miles whether or not you're a President's Club member.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 8:50 pm

Programs: VIA Rail - Premier, Fairmont, Cunard - Diamond, AC - Mere mortal
It is well worth joining the Club, even if only for the convenience of express check-in and check-out. On our first stay at the Empress after joining what was then called the Canadian Pacific Club, we were originally assigned a tiny room with one double bed and no space for a roll-away for our son. Upon complaining, we were upgraded to a huge room with two queen-size beds and a sitting area with bed chesterfield. At other Canadian Pacific hotels (sorry, I don't recognise this new Fairmont rubbish) we have frequently received upgrades to deluxe rooms and sometimes a suite. If you are in the mood for a splurge, try the Entree Gold service at the Empress. It is one of the best of all the CP hotels.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 9:31 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

You should defintely join President's Club even if you are not a frequent stayer. Upon enrolment, they send you 2 upgrade certificates that you can use to upgrade to the next level of rooms at checkin.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 12:57 pm

Lack of Fairmont Gold at Empress

A while back I wrote that I had inadvertantly discovered that the Fairmont Gold section of the Empress in Victoria was closed until March, although I booked same three months in advance. No-one bothered to call me to advise me that my booking would not be honoured. I phoned to ask what will happen when I check in with a written confirmation for Gold. I was told I would be upgraded to a Signature Room.

At check-in I was told I would be so upgraded but I must surrender one of the Fairmont President's Club upgrade certificates. Fortunately I had one with me. I wondered what kind of room I would have been given if I had not. The room was huge and well-furnished, but not really any better than a Gold room. Nothing was offeed to me to compensate for the lack of lounge "goodies" nor any reduction in the Fairmont Gold rate. I explained that I could live without the evening hors d'oeuvres and honour bar, but I should get breakfast. After the front desk clerk checked with the supervisor, she told me I could have a continental breakfast in the Library. Whilst this was a fabulous room, the breakfast was a pale comparison to what is offered in Gold.

This shabby treatment never occurred to me in any Canadian Pacific hotel. I thought the change to the name Fairmont was only a marketing strategy, not a downgrading of service. I intend to write a complaint to the head office. Have any other members of this board had a similar experience with non-availability of guaranteed accomodation?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:23 pm

Programs: HHonors, Delta
Fairmont Empress-Victoria

Has anyone stayed here fairly recently? We're planning a visit soon and will be staying on the Gold Level. Will we like it?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by took
Has anyone stayed here fairly recently? We're planning a visit soon and will be staying on the Gold Level. Will we like it?
Well, I can't say for sure that you will like it, but my wife and I like it very much as does everyone we know who has stayed there. The Gold section, as of our last stay, occupies part of three floors at the south end of the building. The check-in and Gold lounge is on the second floor. I have heard that there may be part of a fourth floor added to Gold. I should know soon as our next visit is in a fortnight.

The Gold lounge overlooks the Inner Harbour. Generally the non-harbour view rooms are larger than the rooms with a view, but as with all old hotels nothing is consistent. I wouldn't bother paying extra for a guaranteed harbour view. There is a good chance you will get a room with a view anyway. On two occasions we were upgraded to a corner junior suite.

The Empress Room is fabulous and no more expensive than any other fine Fairmont restaurant. Kipling's offers a buffet (at least it did last year) for evey meal as well as a menu. The Empress is famous for its afternoon tea, which is a ridiculous price in the summer season. It is about half-price in the off-season. The Gold lounge provides tea, coffee and goodies all day long.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
You will love it. Even though I live in Victoria sometimes I check in just for fun (or when my mother in law visits). If you love old school hotel bars you will love "The Bengal Room". Just a fantastic room with great service and excellent martinis. The Willow Stream is a great spa if you enjoy that sort of thing. However the best thing about the Empress is the location. Easy walking distance to everywhere in town.

As for the Gold floor, it is first rate. Enjoy!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:41 pm

Programs: HHonors, Delta
fairmont empress

Thanks for the input! I'm looking forward to the Empress.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:29 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Thanks for the input! I'm looking forward to the Empress.
I have heard that the Fairmont Gold Floor at the Empress will be closed for at least 3 weeks in January 2006 for a full refurbishment.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: AC/BR/CX
SECRET SEASON PACKAGE at THE FAIRMONT EMPRESS

Got an e-mail from Fairmont:
===============================
The Secret Season at The Fairmont Empress is a secret well worth sharing. Imagine the grandeur and elegance of a world-famous landmark hotel, combined with the pleasure and value of breakfast and Afternoon Tea. You'll enjoy luxury accommodation plus an exclusive Secret Season coupon booklet filled with over $300 CAD/
$256 USD in discounts for shopping, spa, dining
and more.
It's no secret how much you'll save - competitively priced at just $30 CAD/ $25 USD above our room-only rate, the Secret Season package offers exceptional value - for instance, you'll save
$80 CAD/ $68 USD on our breakfast and Afternoon Tea experiences alone. So share this secret today, and get ready to discover all of Victoria's charms.

From
$179*CAD
(approx. $149 USD)
Valid until April 30, 2006
Package includes:
One night in a Fairmont room
Full breakfast for two
Afternoon Tea for two
Exclusive shopping, dining
and attractions booklet
(valued over $300 CAD / $256 USD)
===========================
http://www.fairmont.com/EMPsecretseasonpackage

Moreover, $30 CAD per extra person to a maximum of 4 people per room. Full breakfast and Afternoon Tea is provided for the extra person as well.

Last summer I paid $145.05 for 3 for Afternoon Tea ONLY! Yes, I know it was during the peak summer season, however, I do think this package is worth mentioning, especially for a weekend getaway from Vancouver or Seattle. So, enjoy

Last edited by TaiwanAir; Nov 27, 2005 at 12:32 am
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:04 am

They run this package pretty much every year. The Empress off-season is definitely a bargain, but unless you think you'll actually use the breakfast and tea part of it, it may not be worth it. If you want to spend the extra $$ I'd say just go for the Gold Floor, which is very nice and means you'll get one of the nicer rooms, as well.

You can also usually get a fairly good package deal out of the Clipper that runs from Seattle at this time of year, but beware that if they cancel their boat runs due to weather (high waves), you're still stuck w/ the hotel bill unless you put up a fight.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:32 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by luxury
I have heard that the Fairmont Gold Floor at the Empress will be closed for at least 3 weeks in January 2006 for a full refurbishment.
Not a refurbishment. An anual seasonal closure based on finances and occupancy.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:00 am

My wife and I had a two-day visit to the Gold section of the Empress this past autumn. This is becoming an annual visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it as always. We love the traditional style decorations. I concede that chintz and old-world decor isn't everyone's cup of tea, but modern is so common and would appear out of place at a property such as the Empress.

The breakfast and cocktail-hour offerings in the Gold lounge are excellent, with lots of smoked salmon, scones and crumpets.

We always book a basic Gold room and half of the time get an upgrade to either a room with a harbour view or a junior suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.