data breach- other guest's invoice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:55 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

In move that does not inspire any confidence in Accor's ability to deal with private and sensitive data I today received out of the blue a hotel invoice for a guest totally unknown to me for a stay that ended today:
Dear Mme XXXXX,

We are pleased to confirm that you are registered for « FAST CHECK-OUT ».
This service invites you to simply drop off your key upon departure and your credit card will be debited based on your final invoice (except already prepaid invoices).

Please find herewith your expenditure statement (*)

We hope to have brought you full satisfaction during your stay in our hotel and remain at your entire disposal.

Book on all.accor.com and live your passions to the fullest with ALL – Accor Live Limitless.

Yours sincerely,
The Novotel Luxembourg Kirchberg team
The email included the full invoice, including the masked CC details. I do have a booking for this hotel but for a future date and I am certainly not Mme XXXX. I initially freaked out thinking it was my details and CC that were hacked but the numbers do not match. It beggars belief that they would be so careless with handling guests' data.
hotel_user and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold
In move that does not inspire any confidence in Accor's ability to deal with private and sensitive data I today received out of the blue a hotel invoice for a guest totally unknown to me for a stay that ended today:

The email included the full invoice, including the masked CC details. I do have a booking for this hotel but for a future date and I am certainly not Mme XXXX. I initially freaked out thinking it was my details and CC that were hacked but the numbers do not match. It beggars belief that they would be so careless with handling guests' data.
Especially in Luxembourg where that sort of breach is actually expensive.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:28 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Especially in Luxembourg where that sort of breach is actually expensive.
Well I have informed the Accor data controller and the GM. Frankly I would have expected an immediate response but alas so far nothing.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Well I have informed the Accor data controller and the GM. Frankly I would have expected an immediate response but alas so far nothing.
Have a look at cnpd.public.lu
starflyergold likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
what is your definition of data breach ?

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 10, 2024 at 4:30 pm
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:28 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by fifty_two
what is your definition of data breach ?
In this case: Disclosing stay details to a third party.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:38 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

By way of update, the hotel in question and the Accor Data Controller have acknowledged the data breach. The hotel acknowledged its mistake and profoundly apologised. It also provided an extensive explanation how this mistake occurred (human error, processes not followed when front and back office tasks by performed by the same person in contravention of its procedures).
IMH likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
In this case: Disclosing stay details to a third party.
Ok seems we have different definitions , a data breach for me is when a unauthorised 3rd party gain access to systems (or physical data in case of non digital) intentionally

i think this case is rather an error or misconfiguration , either caused by a bug or human mistake , but yeah you took the right step to reach both entities and signal this issue

However is this is due to a real data breach (someone got into the hotel IT systems or Accor IT) then both would be in troubles and based on current EU + LU laws (GDPR for instance) this would be another story

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 11, 2024 at 4:31 am
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:52 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Ok seems we have different definitions , a data breach for me is when a unauthorised 3rd party gain access to systems (or physical data in case of non digital) intentionally

i think this case is rather an error or misconfiguration , either caused by a bug or human mistake , but yeah you took the right step to reach both entities and signal this issue

However is this is due to a real data breach (someone got into the hotel IT systems or Accor IT) then both would be in troubles and based on current EU + LU laws (GDPR for instance) this would be another story
I guess we have different views. For me (and incidentally the EU) it is immaterial whether confidential data was released by a "break in" from the outside, or as in this case, accidentally, the inside. Accidentally giving access to outsiders to say a private database or any private information for that matter, is a data breach.

The GDPR guidelines are pretty clear:

The GDPR defines a “personal data breach” in Article 4(12) as:"a breach of security leading to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal data transmitted, stored or otherwise processed.” ...Finally, unauthorised or unlawful processing may include disclosure of personal data to (or access by) recipients who are not authorised to receive (or access) the data, or any other form of processing which violates the GDPR.
What we have here is a case of disclosure of personal data to unauthorised persons. Human error or not, it does not matter who released the data, the problem is that it was released.
fifty_two and IMH like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.