Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Review Maison Souvannaphoum hotel - luang Prabang (Laos)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Maison Souvannaphoum hotel - luang Prabang (Laos)

After Siem Reap, I wanted to return to the beautiful town of Luang Prabang in Laos where I havent’t been for quite a while. The non-stop VN service from Siem Reap has now been resumed, so it was time to return.

The MGallery 3Nagas was full and, in any case, despite it’s a lovely hotel, I was looking for one with a pool. The Sofitel was….super expensive, out of reach for me. And I had the nice surprise to see on Accor site that another historical hotel of LP was now part of Accor : Maison Souvannaphoum. It is under the Angsana brand. I never stayed there but I had a drink there the 1st time I have been in LP many years ago and loved the place. And there’s a pool ! Rates were very reasonable, so let’s go. It is located along the main street of historical LP, but compared to 3 Nagas, it’s at the opposite. It’s really a perfect location to explore this jewel of town.

It’s not a big hotel. It has 2 wings :
  • the historical house, former residence of Prince Souvanna Phouma, Unesco-listed and protected, where the suites are located. You can see this house on one picture above
  • the garden wing with other rooms
It’s not as luxurious as the Sofitel but it’s a very nice hotel and excellent quality/price ratio.

Hotel was fully booked weeks before the stay. It was during CNY holiday, hence the high loads. Town was very busy with Chinese and French tourists, but it was not overcrowded, fortunately.

I was kindly welcomed at check-in, thanked for being a Diamond member and was clearly expected. Knowing hotel was full, I was not expecting any upgrade, but I was wrong as I was upgraded from regular garden view room to Laos suite in the historical building. While waiting for check-in formalities, they bring some cold lemongrass tea and typical Laotian snacks.

Ground floor area

The room is a kind of Junior Suite with a large dressing room, a desk, 2 armchairs. Lot of space. It was facing the bar/restaurant/pool, which is preferable than the street for noise reasons.

Welcome amenity was a fruit plate and later they bring a plate of savory salted and sweet snacks, freshly prepared (some were warm).

Bathroom had both bathtub and walk-in shower.

There was turndown service every evening.

Breakfast has a very decent buffet and an egg station. I had 2 dinners at the hotel and it was very good. Drink voucher that was given at check-in is only usable for a (very good) cocktail. I’m sure that it’s OK if you want a beer or a soft drink.

I had also 2 meals at 3 Nagas (MGallery) which was one of the best restaurant in town before Covid, and I’m happy to report it’s still very good. Pictures of 3 Nagas below.

The hotel has a Spa where I had a great massage.

The pool is not huge but very refreshing and appreciable after a hot day in town.

Service was lovely all the time, very polite and courteous staff.

For departure, I wanted a late checkout but didn’t have a lot of expectations as I knew the hotel was totally full all the time. I got only until 13:30 but of course, it was possible to stay at the pool until departure, with the check kept open for drinks or food.

Bill was correct and points posted within 2 hours of departure !

In conclusion, a lovely hotel where I would return without hesitation. To finish the review, a few pictures of Luang Prabang scenery.

Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:19 am

Excellent reviews. Thanks for posting.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.