Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Are the benefits of Platinum worth it over gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling

I was a Platinum for around five years and have maintained Gold for a similar amount of time. Benefits and the scheme has evolved over that time. I find at Gold level properties are pretty good with upgrades, early check ins and so on.

So interested in some views on whether it’s worth it next year to push to platinum, as there’s no easy route other than spend on nights.

I have top tier with Hilton and IHG also so it’s a question of how I spread my nights between schemes.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you travel in Asia then the lounge access makes a BIG difference.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Interestingly that’s kind of what prompted the thought. Currently on my first Asia trip since Covid and planning quite a bit going forward now things open up and the Accor portfolio is strong over here.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The lounge and SNU are indeed the big plus.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
exactly!
For me living in Asia, the Platinum makes a big difference as there are many Accor properties with lounge in this area and you you get access with even the most basic rate
You also get free breakfast in Asia
as gold i did not see much benefits; guaranteed is only the drink, early/late check in and upgrade is always "upon availability"....many upgrades are hardly visual as you get maybe a room, which is just 1-2 sqm larger
kevino and Jcmontecarlo like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
I am missing 50 points to renew platinum and do not have any stays planned before yearend.
Is there any chance that those points will be offered when resetting the counter or I would be better to book a cheap ibis next to where i live just to get the missing points (54 points for 49€ night is available)?

Last edited by canadavid; Nov 20, 2022 at 12:39 am
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by canadavid
I am missing 50 points to renew platinum and do not have any stays planned before yearend.
Is there any chance that those points will be offered when resetting the counter or I would be better to book an cheap ibis next to where i live just to get the missing points (54 points for 49€ night is available)?
you'd better book the cheap Ibis and not take any risk.
nrouxel, hotel_user and canadavid like this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:45 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Here is my 2c worth

Europe / America - not worth the effort of Platinum

Asia etc get Accor Plus with your Platinum status and enjoy
Woodbinerich and 808traveler like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: EB Diamond (SK*G), Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I was a Platinum for around five years and have maintained Gold for a similar amount of time. Benefits and the scheme has evolved over that time. I find at Gold level properties are pretty good with upgrades, early check ins and so on.

So interested in some views on whether it’s worth it next year to push to platinum, as there’s no easy route other than spend on nights.

I have top tier with Hilton and IHG also so it’s a question of how I spread my nights between schemes.
I also have the same doubt... I live in Europe and I can easily get 40-50 nights per year.
I don't know if IHG's lounge access will be better or still if I need to stick to Accor with AccorPlus.
I spend my whole vacation in Asia so I was trying to get this Platinum status but it seems like IHG's lounge access is also quite attractive...
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
For Asia Pacific hotels, the free breakfast benefit for Platinum is good.
BinSabai, kevino and hotel_user like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:00 am

My experience:
  • In Europe and Latin America staying in Ibis, Mercure and Novotel's I haven't noticed a significant difference between silver, gold and platinum status. However give the types of hotels I am staying at (and sometimes the rates I'm paying) I'm happy enough - these are typically one or two nights in a city center hotel.
  • In Dubai and Asia, platinum status has provided some good upgrades and access to nice lounges - typically in more resort type holiday hotels.
I personally don't push for platinum status, and instead take a more "if it happens, then it happens" approach.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LaziestRaccoon
I also have the same doubt... I live in Europe and I can easily get 40-50 nights per year.
I don't know if IHG's lounge access will be better or still if I need to stick to Accor with AccorPlus.
I spend my whole vacation in Asia so I was trying to get this Platinum status but it seems like IHG's lounge access is also quite attractive...
Accor gives lounge access to ALL Platinum members as a part of the policy
at IHG, it depends on the hotel, each has their own policy and the policy can also change...it has happened to me, that they promised lounge access for a basic room for Platinum and when I arrived, they told me that the policy changed...

Therefore the Accor Platinum provides more benefits as the IHG
Jcmontecarlo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: EB Diamond (SK*G), Accor Platinum
Yup. but the only problem here in Europe is there are only very few countries that have Accor hotels with lounges (hungary, estonia maybe..?) while IHG's crowne plaza and IC have one mostly :P. That's why I am so confused since I know in Asia, Accor Plat is unbeatable...
Jcmontecarlo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
For IHG you only need 40 nights to be able to select the milestone award of lounge access. 70 nights and Diamond status with IHG gets you the free bf option which isn't needed if you have lounge access and stay at Intercons. and CP's with lounges. HIX gives lounge access to all. So the main hotels where free bf comes in handy with IHG are Holiday Inn's, though some HI's have lounges too.

As others have noted, Plat. Status with Accor means free bf in Asia. This benefit can come in handy even at lower end Ibis properties and can save you $10 to $20 per day (for two people in the room).

Getting Plat. Status with Accor might also help in getting a status match with another brand.
Jcmontecarlo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Accor Platinum,GC Diamond, Oneworld Emerald (CK AA),LH HON. Circle
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich

in Asia the lounges and free breakfasts make a huge difference. Believe me
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.