Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

ibis Melbourne Central now a Quarantine Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All

The ibis Melbourne Central just contacted me about their inability to honour my booking because they are becoming a quarantine hotel. They have shifted my booking to another lower ranked (TA) ibis on the outskirt of the city. Not happy, given i have been given less than 2 weeks notice, when they obviously knew much earlier.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeO9
The ibis Melbourne Central just contacted me about their inability to honour my booking because they are becoming a quarantine hotel. They have shifted my booking to another lower ranked (TA) ibis on the outskirt of the city. Not happy, given i have been given less than 2 weeks notice, when they obviously knew much earlier.
25 Mar 2021 (abc.net.au) --> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...ined/100027338

<snip>
With the exception of the Novotel & ibis Melbourne Central, the government has not revealed which hotels will be involved in the revamped quarantine program.

But it has said three hotels have successfully completed all the ventilation modifications required and two more have partially completed those changes. Fourteen other hotels are being looked at, but require more work or assessment.
<snip>
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:04 am

Rotten for you, terrible for the captives - there are very few Ibises that I have stayed at where I would like to contemplate being stuck in the room for 2 weeks.

Although I should qualify that statement by saying that even within the Ibis brand there are some pleasant surprises (relatively speaking) - usually conversions not purpose built Ibises which can be spartan

Cleaning is easy as they often have hose-out bathroom modules.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Apr 16, 2021 at 4:15 am
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
25 Mar 2021 (abc.net.au)
Wow. They've known for a month at least.
I booked Mar 12 and now I'm faced with premium rates at limited alternatives. I really am stuck with the lesser product they have forced me into.
I'm wondering if hotels apply to be part of the program or if the Gov. commandeers them.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:32 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Which hotel have they put you in, if it’s the Ibis Melbourne hotel and apartments it’s a good alternative.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10
Which hotel have they put you in, if it’s the Ibis Melbourne hotel and apartments it’s a good alternative.
It is that one.
I've calmed down a bit, as its still in the free tram zone. Its just for the weekend to subdue the usual high rates for those nights - move to another for the following 2 nights. Though I should have been given max time possible to get sorted if the alternative was not workable.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:26 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
It is that one.
I've calmed down a bit, as its still in the free tram zone. Its just for the weekend to subdue the usual high rates for those nights - move to another for the following 2 nights. Though I should have been given max time possible to get sorted if the alternative was not workable.
That hotel is well located and not your standard Ibis with much larger rooms. The Vic markets are at the end of the street and there are multiple transport options nearby as well, in fact if I am staying in the city that’s my hotel of choice when on a budget.
LukeO9 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
It is that one.
That one is definitely better than average for its brand. It's a bit dated, but also rooms are larger than average. They do breakfast well. (Being a low-end chain, it's not exciting, just simple items done well and kept refreshed.) It's only 10 mins walk away from your original choice.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I cannot imagine 14 nights in an Ibis.
Beckett66 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.