Search

Ways to earn points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:13 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Ways to earn points

I am planning to go to Europe in January or February. If for some reason I am not able to go due to covid. My points expire April 2021 according to Accor. Is there any other way to earn a few points other than staying in one of the hotels. I can stay in Hotel Vancouver for around CAD $320.00 for one night, I can check in and then walk home just a few blocks away and then check out in the morning I guess if push comes to shove that is what I may have to do to save my 36,000 or so points. Suggestions?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by sfo
I am planning to go to Europe in January or February. If for some reason I am not able to go due to covid. My points expire April 2021 according to Accor. Is there any other way to earn a few points other than staying in one of the hotels. I can stay in Hotel Vancouver for around CAD $320.00 for one night, I guess if push comes to shove that is what may have to do to save my 36,000 or so points. Suggestions?
I think you can earn points by dining at some of the restaurants. There is another thread here on that topic, and a list of the restaurants that participate in that. Maybe the restaurants in the Vancouver area Fairmonts are included. I'm nearly certain I saw a promotional email that talked about earning points by having Afternoon Tea at the Empress over on the Island.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:22 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I went to an old post and found some more info. Got my tablet out, signed in, was able to add a Visa card and found that then I clicked on find participating restaurants. Lobby lounge Fairmont Pacific Rim popped up and also the ARC Bar at the Fairmont Waterfront. One drink ought to do it but maybe I won't be that cheap.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:49 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
I could be wrong, but isnt a STAY required once every 12 months to extend the expiry of points? I do not believe that non-stay points activity actually extends the expiry.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:09 am
sfo
Original Poster

That's an interesting point Maelstrom, I guess if I don't get a definitive answer on the forum, I will go to the hotel order one drink and see if I receive points or not
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Accor Gold BW Diamond
Clubopinions.com or Clubopinions.co.uk. Register and complete one survey.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:26 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vvn1972
Clubopinions.com or Clubopinions.co.uk. Register and complete one survey.
Thanks for the info, however both websites indicated they are "not accepting new members at this time."
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:41 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Not sure, but can you transfer points into Accor ( never done this as rates are bad ) from car hire ? or KLM / Air France ....
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:04 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas but have given up driving, and am in the *A program with UA, I think I will stick with a nice tall cool drink at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver. I do have until April until points expire and I do expect to be in Europe long before that.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Why not just go get the drink and have a nice time. Once the points post, you will see right away if your expiry date updates as well. Technically, it's supposed to be a stay to extend the points. But, if the points are being posted by a hotel, it might get treated like a stay in the system. Maybe you get to use the legendary incompetent Accor IT to your advantage! I don't know if anyone on FT has reported on how dining points post. I'm sure the FT community would be happy to see a data point from your experience!
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Accor Gold BW Diamond
Originally Posted by sfo
Thanks for the info, however both websites indicated they are "not accepting new members at this time."
Try to use VPN. American or British IP required.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:32 am
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vvn1972
Try to use VPN. American or British IP required.
Thanks for the suggestion will give it a try. Same notice as before, not accepting new applications.

I will just go down to the Fairmont and have a drink and see if points are added to my account
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Enjoy your drinks and email Accor's ALL CS (or, even better, contact them via FB) to explain your situation and have them extend your points and status manually, which they should be willing to do given the extraordinary circumstances.
sfo likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:29 pm
sfo
Original Poster

I think I will try the earning points by going into their restaurant at the Fairmont. I am planning to travel to Europe in Jan or Feb. If these plans fall through, I will just bite the bullet and check into a Fairmont for one night here in Vancouver.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP, there is an entire official website for you to get creative:

https://all.accor.com/loyalty-progra...index.en.shtml

Do some works and look at it first. You are limiting your only options by only seeking advice here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.