Search

OTA or book with Accor?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
OTA or book with Accor?

I'm fairly new to Accor. I've been a hotel free agent for a long time, but recently settle down on Hilton and Marriott. I have stayed at Ibis before, but I booked them via OTA. I'm assuming if I book via OTA, then I don't earn any points or elite status just like with the other chains? If the price is the same, then I'm better off booking with Accor?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
You may get the 5% or 10% members discount when booking direct .....

If you just stay at Ibis, there is a card that will give you "gold" status and an additional ( ? ) discount
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm fairly new to Accor. I've been a hotel free agent for a long time, but recently settle down on Hilton and Marriott. I have stayed at Ibis before, but I booked them via OTA. I'm assuming if I book via OTA, then I don't earn any points or elite status just like with the other chains? If the price is the same, then I'm better off booking with Accor?
Yes, no points and perks when booked through OTA, with a few exceptions (Amex travel)
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:41 am

We often book Fairmont using visa lhr or amex travel. It is usually the same price as accor website PLUS $50 F&B, $70 breakfast credit (inclusive of in room dining) AND regular le club benefits (upgrade, points, etc). In addition we pay with discounted gift cards (usually 20% bonus offer twice per year).
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, no points and perks when booked through OTA, with a few exceptions (Amex travel)
Have you experienced to get Accor points with all the reservations made by Amex travel or just by Amex FHR ?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nock
We often book Fairmont using visa lhr or amex travel. It is usually the same price as accor website PLUS $50 F&B, $70 breakfast credit (inclusive of in room dining) AND regular le club benefits (upgrade, points, etc). In addition we pay with discounted gift cards (usually 20% bonus offer twice per year).
Same question for you, concerning Amex travel / Amex FHR

thanks
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Dav77
Have you experienced to get Accor points with all the reservations made by Amex travel or just by Amex FHR ?
Amex travel works, but make sure you book a public rate, as Amex also proposes Booking.com rates which are not eligible. I don’t know what is Amex FHR, sorry.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Amex travel works, but make sure you book a public rate, as Amex also proposes Booking.com rates which are not eligible. I don’t know what is Amex FHR, sorry.
Amex FHR = American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts
-> special rate for Platinum and Centurion cardholders that includes added perks at ~800 upscale and luxury hotels around the world

Standard benefits are:

- complimentary breakfast for two daily
- complimentary upgrade based on availability
- early check-in based on availability and late check-out
- ~$100 amenity per stay such as a food and berverage or resort credit

Same/similar added perks are often also available at the same properties via multiple channels incl. Virtuoso, Signature, Travel Leaders Select etc.

And yes, all these "consortia rates" qualify for points accruel, stay/night credit and status benefits apply.
hotel_user and Goldorak like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Amex FHR = American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts
-> special rate for Platinum and Centurion cardholders that includes added perks at ~800 upscale and luxury hotels around the world

Standard benefits are:

- complimentary breakfast for two daily
- complimentary upgrade based on availability
- early check-in based on availability and late check-out
- ~$100 amenity per stay such as a food and berverage or resort credit

Same/similar added perks are often also available at the same properties via multiple channels incl. Virtuoso, Signature, Travel Leaders Select etc.

And yes, all these "consortia rates" qualify for points accruel, stay/night credit and status benefits apply.
Very interesting.

Recently I have been in Accor Hotels which have had Luxury Escapes guests and have seen quite a few Accor hotels available via this OTA booking channel.

I never thought to ask if these bookings qualify for accrual of elite nights and Points.

Does anyone happen to know if they do or do not ? Am not planning to book with Luxury Escapes but am curious given the information above from @Jasper2009
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kobetraveller
Very interesting.

Recently I have been in Accor Hotels which have had Luxury Escapes guests and have seen quite a few Accor hotels available via this OTA booking channel.

I never thought to ask if these bookings qualify for accrual of elite nights and Points.

Does anyone happen to know if they do or do not ? Am not planning to book with Luxury Escapes but am curious given the information above from @Jasper2009
Excellent question!

I have no experience with "Luxury Escapes", so I don't know for sure.

Generally speaking, only the following rates are considered "qualifying rates":

- all published rates offered directly by the hotel / GDS rates
- consortia rates (incl. Amex FHR)
- corporate rates
- *some* group contract rates

I don't see any reference on their website to being part of a consortium and I highly doubt they book published rates. Instead I'd assume they book wholesale / bulk purchase rates and then create their own packages, in which case all bookings would be non-qualifying unless they have negotiated some special rate directly with the chains.

So my best guess would be "probably non-qualifying, but no harm in double-checking".
Kobetraveller likes this.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Oct 14, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:09 pm

Amex benefits ($100 credit, free breakfast, upgrades) only apply for stays greater than or equal to 2 nights. If booking 1 night, Visa LHR is a better deal.

I don't know "Luxury Retreats".

I have been denied the Accor free welcome drink as a platinum when booking consortia. Not sure this is official policy, but they are definitely aware of my status on check in. Also, in my experience, consortia reservations invariably do not have my Accor Le Club number associated with them so be sure to let them know (best to do so before you arrive for check-in so you can be considered for upgrades/early check-in).

Last edited by nock; Oct 14, 2019 at 11:16 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:39 pm

Amex benefits ($100 credit, free breakfast, upgrades) only apply for stays greater than or equal to 2 nights. If booking 1 night, Visa LHR is a better deal.
I have never used Luxury Escapes but have been struck by the number of Accor Hotels which have signed up with them.

I will try to find out for sure if they offer elite nights and Points by checking with one of the hotels.

Anyway, I just opened the Luxury Escapes App and see Fairmont Singapore and Jaipur, Banyan Tree Bangkok, Novotel Bali Nusa Dua as well as a Movenpick in Bali (not yet LC).

Recently I have seen Sofitel Krabi, MGallery Avista Grande, a couple of other Novotel Resorts and have heard that Sofitel Kuala Lumpur has signed up.

Anyway, all this is irrelevant for maintaining status if their rates are not eligible.

Their packages sometimes/often look very competitive when the various inclusions are taken into account.

I will try to put a screenshot from the App here.

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Oct 15, 2019 at 12:54 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:49 pm

Oh, dear .... I should have simply called a hotel before posting the above and my earlier question kindly answered by Jasper2009

I just called Sofitel Kuala Lumpur and spoke to the person who handles Loyalty matters ... she was able to inform me very clearly that Luxury Escapes rates definitely are not eligible for LC elite nights/points.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I don't know "Luxury Retreats".

I have been denied the Accor free welcome drink as a platinum when booking consortia. Not sure this is official policy, but they are definitely aware of my status on check in. Also, in my experience, consortia reservations invariably do not have my Accor Le Club number associated with them so be sure to let them know (best to do so before you arrive for check-in so you can be considered for upgrades/early check-in).
The two night requirement AFAIK applies to AmEx Collection rates, not FHR. I'm not convinced that the former is eligible for points and elite night credits as these seem to be prepaid rates.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The two night requirement AFAIK applies to AmEx Collection rates, not FHR. I'm not convinced that the former is eligible for points and elite night credits as these seem to be prepaid rates.
You may be right about the 2 night requirement for FHR. Are all Amex Collection rates prepaid? I'm seeing some that are 24-48 hour flexible cancellation rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.