Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Complimentary upgrades

Bit of a random question.
What are people's experiences of getting room upgrades when not "entitled" to them? I'm referring of course to not being Gold or Platinum.
I am a Silver member - soon to go back to Classic.
I stayed at a hotel in London during the summer - I didn't even book directly with Accor - but I still got a room upgrade and free drink.
I have just come back from Poland. Stayed in three different hotels - admittedly one was Ibis - so not applicable - but no sign of an upgrade in either of the Novotels I stayed in.
I noticed all the hotels were part of "another group" - so not sure whether this affects matters?
I'm sure the hotels were not full - so it could have happened maybe........
Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by barafear799
Bit of a random question.
What are people's experiences of getting room upgrades when not "entitled" to them? I'm referring of course to not being Gold or Platinum.
I am a Silver member - soon to go back to Classic.
I stayed at a hotel in London during the summer - I didn't even book directly with Accor - but I still got a room upgrade and free drink.
I have just come back from Poland. Stayed in three different hotels - admittedly one was Ibis - so not applicable - but no sign of an upgrade in either of the Novotels I stayed in.
I noticed all the hotels were part of "another group" - so not sure whether this affects matters?
I'm sure the hotels were not full - so it could have happened maybe........
Cheers.
All you can say is you was lucky. European hotels are more strict in giving upgrades and drinks even to those members who book directly. However sometime either through mistake or just giving a little more than expected (which is a good thing) is possible but not usual. I guess you could expect 1 out of 20 hotels would offer the drinks voucher if you showed your card. The rest would reject it. Also room upgrade could have been because a operational upgrade which happens on the rare occasion. You might get slight priority on this compared to those with no elite membership so chances are ever so slightly above rare. You have really no ground to stand on expecting anything to be honest. You can ask but expect almost always be rejected.

In Asia,especially South East Asia you could easily be offered drinks half the time when showing your membership or more than that. They are definitely more generous.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Certainly wasn't an expectation - just sometimes comes as a pleasant surprise.
I did get upgraded in a Mercure hotel in Budapest many years ago - even before I joined the loyalty scheme - as I said - that was a pleasant surprise.
At my three recent visits, both the Novotels automatically provided drinks vouchers - Ibis had to be "reminded" but quickly rectified.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
I originally booked once at the Ibis Styles at la gare central Strasbourg. Upon arrival they said they had moved my reservation to the Mercure across the street, and what's more I was given their (much) nicer Premium rooms. Since breakfast was inclus in my original reservation, that also made its way over to the Mercure. All was done at the original price of my reservation.

Very nice surprise as a Silver (now turned Gold) member But for sure this is the exception, not the norm.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Room upgrade.... 😂😂😂😂😂

you like to joke. Ok.

In europe is a mirage often even if Platinum ...

“better” category room...yes, perhaps

it depends from brand to brand.

In Asia, at any Sofitel’s or So Sofitel’s or MGallery’s, yes, always received room upgrade since i’m Platinum, or, if really not available, something else as compensation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.