Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont: Montreal v Quebec City

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Fairmont: Montreal v Quebec City

Any recommendations as between these 2 hotels for a 3 night stay?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by trey
The Fairmont Quebec city is a classic landmark property. if you enjoy staying in "grande dame castles" this certainly may be a suitable choice.

The Fairmont Montreal is more of a "regular" city center property; not the most exciting property before the renovations, but apparently they did a very good job with the renovations.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Quebec City is a far nicer place to visit.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I have not stayed at either of the hotels.
But my vote goes for Montreal ...lots to see, great international foods and population, shopping etc.
If you do not speak French, MTL is much better as more people speak English.
Women are beautiful and cosmopolitan !
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HMPS
If you do not speak French, MTL is much better as more people speak English.
True as a general population, but we've never found a single person in the tourist industry in Quebec who did not speak excellent English.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I've stayed at both of these hotels several times. The Chateau Frontenac is hands down a nicer property. It has an upscale historic resort feeling to it, whereas Montreal feels a little more like a business hotel. Both hotels have undergone very extensive renovations in recent years.

Both cities have a lot to see, if you've never been. Have you been to either city before? If so, I would say choose the city you've not yet visited. If you've never been to either, I would prefer Quebec City. Both are nice places in the summer and fall. Quebec City is a nice destination in both winter and summer. You will do fine with English in either city.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:26 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I would recommend Québec City. Generally preferred city for tourists, the hotel has a bit more character, location is perfect, and odds are that you will get a cheaper rate in Qc City than MTL. There is more to do overall in MTL but for only 3 nights you will be fine in Qc City.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trey
When are you planning to visit? Why? Alone or as a couple?

Personally speaking, both are well situated. QE connected to underground if a shopper, great with winter weather coming.

Have just booked a 3 night visit for mid November and looking forward to seeing how the year long renovations changed the property. Did book gold floor.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Both are great choices having stayed at both and visiting both cities many times. I'd also consider an alternative given the physical sizes of the cities: Two nights in Montreal and one in Quebec. You have car, train and bus options to get between the two.

Knowing what I know about both cities, if I were a first time visitor, I would want to experience both. No matter what, these are very worthwhile places to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.