Search

Vague elite benefit: welcome drink

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Vague elite benefit: welcome drink

It's not clear to me who's entitled to the elite benefit of the "welcome drink".
The website states:

Welcome drink
Only for Silver status members at Novotel and Suite Novotel. A welcome drink is offered to Silver, Gold and Platinum members at other hotel brands.
So as a silver member you get a drink at Novotel and Suite Novotel but once your elite tier increases to Gold/Platinum you no longer get it... ? Makes no sense to me.

And then, to confuse me even more. I received my silver membership card quite recently and noticed that the welcome letter states:

A welcome drink and present in Sofitel hotels.
So, only in Sofitel hotels?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Indeed, confusing.
Already discussed here (from post #28) :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...mercure-2.html
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
It's not clear to me who's entitled to the elite benefit of the "welcome drink".
The website states:

So as a silver member you get a drink at Novotel and Suite Novotel but once your elite tier increases to Gold/Platinum you no longer get it... ? Makes no sense to me.

And then, to confuse me even more. I received my silver membership card quite recently and noticed that the welcome letter states:

So, only in Sofitel hotels?

well, to clarify, it is indeed very badly advertised

it is written as if it gives the impression that only silver members get a welcome drink

but in fact:

- silver members get a welcome drink
- gold/plat members get a vip treatment which is supposed to include a beverage (like a bottle of champagne or wine, depending on location)

so finally as a gold or plat, you end up with a drink, but not at the bar, simply in your room with a nice card signed by GM or #2
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by enzo0511
well, to clarify, it is indeed very badly advertised

it is written as if it gives the impression that only silver members get a welcome drink

but in fact:

- silver members get a welcome drink
- gold/plat members get a vip treatment which is supposed to include a beverage (like a bottle of champagne or wine, depending on location)

so finally as a gold or plat, you end up with a drink, but not at the bar, simply in your room with a nice card signed by GM or #2
As a platinum member for a few years, I have never NOT had a welcome drink voucher for the bar at accor hotels, and that includes Ibis.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Yes please
Not the most obviously successful of loyalty-inducing schemes

What astounds me is that is is very literally 'a welcome drink'; one not two, so if you check in with your wife....
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by SouthOxon
What astounds me is that is is very literally 'a welcome drink'; one not two, so if you check in with your wife....
Very occasionally I have been offered one drink when in a double room, but it has always been corrected without fuss.

Its a pretty good benefit from what is a free loyalty scheme.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
I stayed at the ibis Gatwick twice with my wife. The first time I was given a voucher for 2 drinks (any drinks). The next time, a few weeks later, I had to ask and was given a voucher for 1 soft drink. Nice to see some consistency.

Maybe I did something to upset them on the first stay.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by davrossuk

Maybe I did something to upset them on the first stay.
You showed your Platinum card
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
Yes, there's a total lack of consistency be it for the drink, or anything else. At some Novotels/Sofitels you can go for the champagne, at other locations it's just a cocktail (for instance Pullman St Pancras). It's also annoying that some properties (Mercure Arc de Triomphe for ex) only gives one voucher for one person even if you're two persons. Once they refused to give me the voucher on grounds that I had a privilege room which already included soft drinks from the minibar, that was really ridiculous
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nicolas75
You showed your Platinum card
LOL
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Andoreasu
It's also annoying that some properties (Mercure Arc de Triomphe for ex) only gives one voucher for one person even if you're two persons. Once they refused to give me the voucher on grounds that I had a privilege room which already included soft drinks from the minibar, that was really ridiculous
No voucher Sir, you already have tap water in your room
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I'm currently staying at the Novotel Times Square in NYC. My Platinum status dropped to Gold only 5 days ago but my welcome letter from the hotel must have been done earlier as they still refer to me as Platinum.

I was surprised not to be given a drinks voucher when I checked in earlier but was too tired to be bothered asking. However, a member of staff just delivered the following to my room: welcome letter, code for the high speed wifi (standard speed is free, high speed is payable), a voucher for free breakfast in the restaurant (usually charged at $25), a selection of mini cakes and a large glass bottle of Evian. A pleasant surprise especially the breakfast.

I don't appear to have a room upgrade but I am on a high floor so maybe that's the upgrade? Or maybe not. The hotel seems to be extremely busy.

Staff all very pleasant so no complaints other than NYC is damn chilly right now!

Last edited by bibbju; Feb 5, 2015 at 5:49 pm Reason: I forgot! They also brought me a photo book of NYC.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bibbju
a voucher for free breakfast in the restaurant (usually charged at $25)
WOW!

Would be wonderful if this was a start to something new! (I guess the hotel doesnt have a lounge).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
WOW!

Would be wonderful if this was a start to something new! (I guess the hotel doesnt have a lounge).
This is not new. I had such a voucher the last time I stayed there (january 2014) and you could use it either at breakfast or lunch/dinner.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:50 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Seems like something we are all waiting for to be offered at all Accor properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.