Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

MGallery Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille Vieux Port

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond

I just spent two nights in the MGallery Marseille as an Accor LeClub Silver: http://www.mgallery.com/gb/hotel-129...on/index.shtml

Location. Perfectly located in the Vieux Port. Easy to reach by metro; during the day in walking distance of the train station (would not want to walk during the night, though). If you go from the hotel to the train station, it's an uphill walk.

Arrival. I arrived very late. Since Marseille is not the safest city, they close the automatic door at night, so I needed to make myself seen. The automatic door opens to the outside and if you stand close to it, you get hit by the door. Check-in was quick and efficient. No recognition of Silver status or any benefits. They put me in a room with harbour view: possibly an upgrade? (Was not explicitly mentioned.)

Room. The entire hotel has an aura of faded glory, but in a rather classy way. The room design feels late 19th century and I liked it. The room was facing the harbour and the window could be opened completely. No iron & ironing board in the room which I would have expected in a four star hotel. Enough cupboard space for a short stay. Also the bathroom facilities look old style. I had a little problem with the shower head: there is a lot of water pressure and when you turn off the water, the shower head falls off. There was a little kettle to make hot water and tea, but no coffee machine in the room.

Breakfast. I think that this was the best breakfast I have ever had in a French hotel. Excellent and healthy food: many different types of bread, cereal, jams, juices, soy milk, crepes. Eggs that you can boil yourself. Small earthen pots with hot food and eggs could be made to order (I didn't order them, so I can't comment). In addition, lots of handwritten chalk boards with information that create a nice ambience. Breakfast was included in my room rate.

Dinner. On one evening, I wanted something small for supper and sat down in the bar, trying to order from the menu that they had at the tables. The bar man told me that the menus were completely outdated and they had nothing on the menu, but other stuff. He was very helpful and we managed to find something for me. The bar was completely empty and I was the only customer.

Other help. There is no separate concierge desk: the front desk helps with things. I borrowed an umbrella and got very precise information of how to get to the airport navette.

Overall, I really liked my stay. In terms of amenities, the hotel was pretty minimal, though. In the price category of the hotel, you would expect more (to wit: iron in the room, coffee maker in the room, a proper restaurant with a menu that is up to date), but somehow the excellent location and the strange charm of the hotel managed to let me forget that. I think I'll be back if I am in Marseille the next time.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Is there any kind of executive club lounge ?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
i'm staying here tomorrow so i'll report back. i believe this property has just been renovated
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sarahluv
i'm staying here tomorrow so i'll report back. i believe this property has just been renovated
Excellent. I'm very much looking forward to read your review as I will stay there next August (the prices of the Sofitel vieux port and Pullman Palm Beach were atrociously expensive, so I booked Hotel Beauvau).
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
I'm staying here now.

I'm LeAccor Platinum.

The hotel is obviously very busy due to the Euros.

On check in, no acknowledgement of status. I was given a drinks voucher though (I am travelling alone). voucher valid on all drinks apart from champagne and spirits. Alld rinks come with olives and cheese.

Also, no pro-active upgrade offered, I had to ask. Upgraded one category to a Luxury Room. I think that the only difference is that it has a view over the harbour.

I was told that I couldn't have late check out, but i emailed the manager to complain and was given until 4pm.

Also, i wasn't told that the soft drinks in the mini bar are free but an email to the manager confirmed that they were. the mini bar has 2x500ml still water, 2x500ml sparkling water, 1x orange juice, 1x coke, 1 x coke zero, 1 x perrier, 1 x tonic.

the room itself is small but nicely appointed. bed is a standard double. bathroom has had a new shower head fitted but the tiles and shower cubicle are a bit tatty.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sarahluv
I'm staying here now.

I'm LeAccor Platinum.

The hotel is obviously very busy due to the Euros.

On check in, no acknowledgement of status. I was given a drinks voucher though (I am travelling alone). voucher valid on all drinks apart from champagne and spirits. Alld rinks come with olives and cheese.

Also, no pro-active upgrade offered, I had to ask. Upgraded one category to a Luxury Room. I think that the only difference is that it has a view over the harbour.

I was told that I couldn't have late check out, but i emailed the manager to complain and was given until 4pm.

Also, i wasn't told that the soft drinks in the mini bar are free but an email to the manager confirmed that they were. the mini bar has 2x500ml still water, 2x500ml sparkling water, 1x orange juice, 1x coke, 1 x coke zero, 1 x perrier, 1 x tonic.

the room itself is small but nicely appointed. bed is a standard double. bathroom has had a new shower head fitted but the tiles and shower cubicle are a bit tatty.
Thank you for your quick review. In summary, good hotel but typical reluctance providing Le club benefits
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Review Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille - MGallery Collection

Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille - MGallery Collection

4 Rue Beauvau Marseille, FR 13001

Review Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille - MGallery Collection (20 Photos)

Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille - MGallery Collection

Here is my review (2 nights stay) at Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille (MGallery collection). This hotel is an historical one, recently fully renovated, with a very nice location facing the old harbour in the heart of the city.

I aoplogize about the non-rotated pictures in the review, but they are OK in my system but they appear non-rotated here - very annoying :-(

IMG_0883.JPG

The old harbour site facing the hotel

IMG_0891.JPG

Some famous people have stayed there (strange, my name is not displayed ;-)

IMG_0888.JPG

Check In

I had booked a classic room (no harbour view). On the check-in day, there were still some availabilities in my room category and the upper one (same room but with harbour view). I checked again minutes before arriving at the hotel and unfortunately, the hotel was shown as fully booked, so no hope for upgrade.

Check-in was quick, efficient and with a courteous staff person, but as it was mentioned by the previous poster, LCAH is not really their priority and that would be my main criticism of this (overall nice) hotel:

- no thank you for being a loyal customer

- I was not expecting any upgrade because of the full occupancy, but not a word like "sorry, we could not upgrade you today because etc etc". The hotel would not have been fully booked, I'm sure that no upgrade would have been spontaneously granted.

- not a word about free soft drinks in the mini bar for platinum members at MGallery. And I completely forgot that, so did not benefit from it.

- no welcome gift / VIP treatment and I didn't ask for it, because I am very very tired to have to constantly beg for everything :-(

- The drink voucher was the only benefit spontaneously granted.

- I asked for a late check-out (4 pm), which was granted without too much discussions

The lobby:

IMG_0880.JPG

Room

The room was not huge but was large enough to feel comfortable. Excellent soundproofing (inside/outside) which is something very important for me. I heard absolutely 0 noise durong my stay. I believe this is even a more important  quality for romms facing the very busy harbour.

IMG_0873.JPGIMG_0874.JPGIMG_0875.JPG

No desk, but a table. An old-style cabinet and a very ugly furniture containing the minibar and the safe + kettle and instant coffee (no espresso machine).

IMG_0876.JPGIMG_0877.JPG

Plenty of plugs available on each side of the bed, so no problem to charge all your devices every night !

Comfortable bed. AC was working well and was efficiently controlled.

Free wifi worked very well (premium wifi is available but of course is not provided for free to Platinum members !)

Bathroom : quite large, bathtub (no separate shower). Bathrobes and slippers provided.

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

Overall, even without harbour view, I enjoyed staying in this room.

Dining

No restaurant for lunch and dinner, but this is not a problem knowing the hundreds of restaurants available nearby. However, they can provide room service, likely through an agreement with a local restaurant.

The bar and the breakfast room face the harbour.

IMG_0990.JPGIMG_0999.JPG

The bar do serve snacks

IMG_0991.JPG

Breakfast offers a very decent selection of good warm and cold food, but is quite expensive (24 Euros !!)

IMG_0993.JPGIMG_0994.JPGIMG_0995.JPGIMG_0996.JPGIMG_0997.JPGIMG_0998.JPG

As said above, very nice location if you want to explore the city, in the heart of old harbour. Walking distance from all major attractions and boat tours to the beautiful Calanques and Frioul island / If castle. Metro station at the foot of the hotel. Restaurants and cafe everywhere.

Overall

Overall, a good alternative to the Sofitel Vieux Port and Pullman Palm Beach (those 2 were above 250E/night, while I had the Beauvau for a bit more than 100E/night), so very good value for money.

But poor LCAH implementation and status recognition, once again...

Review Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille - MGallery Collection

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hotel Beauvau Marseille - MGallery Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:01 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks for the interesting review Goldorak ^ I have to say I fail to see how this could be MGallery by Sofitel The rate seems pretty good but nothing else looks to be luxurious.
The non existent LCAH recognition is appalling. (but what else is new...)
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by starflyergold
I have to say I fail to see how this could be MGallery by Sofitel The rate seems pretty good but nothing else looks to be luxurious.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by starflyergold
The non existent LCAH recognition is appalling. (but what else is new...)
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:25 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks Goldorak. Nice location! Would be nice to see the interior of the Sofitel too
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Thanks Goldorak. Nice location! Would be nice to see the interior of the Sofitel too
That's all I can propose at the moment :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27046157-post8.html
But you have surely already seen them.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I didn't ask for it, because I am very very tired to have to constantly beg for everything :-(
Yeah, it's not worth it. Loyal customer begging / arguing to get their promised and written benefits is no fun at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.