Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ibis Styles Kyoto Station

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I just booked the above hotel on a Best Unrestricted Rate.

There is a special condition in the booking:

Special terms 3: Book out policy: in the case of an overbooking, the hotel will suggest an alternative similar type of hotel. The hotel will pay for the transportation of the guest to the hotel only, and no other compensation will be made.

This is the first time I've seen this. So it means that my room isn't guaranteed and they can send me somewhere else and not guarantee the price of the new hotel. What about Accor Platinum's room guarantee? What about Accor points in this case?

Any experiences with this?
I've been moved to a different hotel due to overbooking once in several years of staying at Accor properties. I was booked into the MGallery Budapest and received a call in the morning of check-in advising that the hotel was full and they'd be moving me to the Sofitel Budapest. Breakfast and transport to move between the hotels was complimentary. I viewed it as a great upgrade so was quite happy to oblige!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
As an extra data point for this hotel - I stayed here last year and have only good things to say about it.

Thanks to Gold status I was offered a choice of welcome drink at check in from a list and given a preferred room upgrade. As has previously been said, 'upgrades' are not really a thing at ibis properties but in this case, the room was a top floor room with a great view overlooking the station. Many of the rooms at this hotel have very little view at all so this was welcome. On arrival in the room, we had two welcome amenities - upgraded toiletries and an entire box of snacks and goodies with a welcome note attached.

Breakfast was included in my room rate on this occasion and was typically basic Japanese food. Not great for Western tastes - as much as I love Japanese food, I find I just can't stomach a lot of their 'breakfast' food early in the morning! I would personally not pay for this breakfast if it was not included as there are lots of options around - even in the station over the road.

The staff were great throughout our stay and kept guests informed during the 2018 Osaka Earthquake which shook the Hotel quite violently and caused the trains to stop running on the day we needed to get to the airport.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
Originally Posted by andimilk
Thanks to Gold status I was offered a choice of welcome drink at check in from a list
What did you get? As a Plat I seem to remember being offered a toddler size juice carton! I remember breakfast being a zoo, but that'll depend on occupancy rates. Can't remember the room so it just have been ok!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Abouttimetoo
I remember breakfast being a zoo, but that'll depend on occupancy rates.
Oh yeah, that's definitely been the case for me as well. Lots of Asian tour groups seem to stay at the Styles hotels and if you happen to go down when they're all there you'll probably go mad having to navigate hoards of people crowding at all of the food and drink stations. Obviously it's luck of the draw and not the hotel's fault (they do try to keep things orderly and will direct you to an empty seat once you advance in the queue) but I have had some very frustrating experiences there!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:54 am

What did you get? As a Plat I seem to remember being offered a toddler size juice carton! I remember breakfast being a zoo, but that'll depend on occupancy rates. Can't remember the room so it just have been ok!
It was choice of about 7 various soft drinks similar to a minibar selection. Most were 500ml bottles. No alcohol if I recall correctly. I took a coke and my wife took what was described in English as 'a Japanese tea-based energy drink' as she wanted to try something new. Ended up pouring it out after two sips
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)

I remember breakfast being a zoo, but that'll depend on occupancy rates. Can't remember the room so it just have been ok!
The dining area for eating breakfast is really, really small and cramped considering this hotel has over 100 rooms. I'm not sure how many rooms there are in total but consider the hotel has 10 floors of which 9 have guest rooms. I would estimate about at least 15 rooms per floors making at least 135 rooms, but probably more. A lot of the seats at breakfast are at this very long horizontal table where you sit across from other diners looking straight at them. Even the area outside where you wait in line to go eat is narrow and small as well.

They really didn't think this through very well when creating this space, but i'm not surpised considering how small and narrow the rooms are. The space between the bottom of the bed and the room wall is just wide enough for a person to walk through and the bathrooms are like closets . Most beds are pushed up against the wall on one side, so 1 person will always have to enter and exit the bed from the bottom. I had a twin room with 2 "seperate" beds, but they were pushed together and 1 of these was up against a wall, so no way the 2nd person could get in and out of bed except from the bottom of the bed. Even asian people I was travelling with complained about the tiny room and bathroom sizes and they are smaller than me.

A shame really, cause the central location and the staff and service at this hotel are great.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Apr 26, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
There is a coin laundry on the 2nd floor with 2 washing machines and 2 dryers. Washing costs 300 JPY and lasts 30 min, and drying costs 100 JPY for 30 minutes. No need to buy extra soap/detergent as it's already in the machine.

These washing machines are used A LOT in the evening and you'll be lucky to get a chance to wash your clothes at that time.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
The dining area for eating breakfast is really, really small and cramped considering this hotel has over 100 rooms. I'm not sure how many rooms there are in total but consider the hotel has 10 floors of which 9 have guest rooms. I would estimate about at least 15 rooms per floors making at least 135 rooms, but probably more. A lot of the seats at breakfast are at this very long horizontal table where you sit across from other diners looking straight at them. Even the area outside where you wait in line to go eat is narrow and small as well.

They really didn't think this through very well when creating this space, but i'm not surpised considering how small and narrow the rooms are. The space between the bottom of the bed and the room wall is just wide enough for a person to walk through and the bathrooms are like closets . Most beds are pushed up against the wall on one side, so 1 person will always have to enter and exit the bed from the bottom. I had a twin room with 2 "seperate" beds, but they were pushed together and 1 of these was up against a wall, so no way the 2nd person could get in and out of bed except from the bottom of the bed. Even asian people I was travelling with complained about the tiny room and bathroom sizes and they are smaller than me.

A shame really, cause the central location and the staff and service at this hotel are great.
I remember this hotel to be very cramped and crowded, even the reception area was tiny. If I remember right, a to-go box for breakfast could be asked and taken instead of going in the usual buffet breakfast. The location is certainly good.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite

I booked a Standard Double (14sqm) and was upgraded I think to a Standard Queen (17sqm) and this room was perfectly acceptable without any of the limitations described above. Nice large bed, access on both sides, long desk space on the wall at the foot end of the bed and plenty of space between the end of the bed and the desk or wall. Yes the bathroom was a pod but I have found this in a number of Japanese hotels and wasn't an issue for a short stay. Given the modest price difference between the room types on most nights, I would recommend taking the Queen.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:41 am

It is also worth noting that despite only being Gold I was offered both late check in and early check out. Usually us Golds have to choose one or the other...

Below is my email received before my arrival and I was asked again if I needed late check out when I arrived, despite them letting me into my room 3 hours early.

Warm greetings from ibis styles Kyoto station!

We are honored to be your host during your stay in the historical city of Kyoto.

We are delighted to inform you that due to your Le Club “Gold”level, you can enjoy a complimentary early check-in, late check-out (subject to the availability) free Wi-Fi, handy –complimentary smart phone and Welcome Drink during your stay.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Platinum, SQ PPS Solitaire. TK Elite Plus
Stayed in this property on several occasions.
Till date they have honoured Platinum status with room upgrades, welcome drinks and snacks, early / late check in / out.
Rooms are generally cramp in size however manageable. Then again, who stays in the room when you have so much to see in Kyoto.
Complimentary breakfast pretty standard across ibis Styles with very decent food serving. Though breakfast room tend to be smallish and cramped during peak hours.
Complimentary drinks (24/7) available for Accor members. You have to go grab your cups from the reception.
With that said, the plus point of this property is the location. Just opposite Kyoto Station Building (JR Station / Bus Station / shopping mall / restaurant). Also walking distance to plenty of restaurant around.
Outstanding and polite staff.
There's a Mgallery (first in Japan) that's just opened in the Sanjo area. Will check that out on my next visit to Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.