Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Makati (Manila) Hotel, Philippines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

I had a very good six-day stay at this hotel on a business trip to Manila in March. (For those of you unfamiliar with the city, Makati is the central business district with Metro Manila being the overall metropolitan area of something like 15 million people. To confuse things a bit further, there is a city of Manila that is part of overall Metro Manila.) Beautiful hotel, great and friendly service, very comfortable and quiet rooms - it checks all the boxes. Filipinos are wonderfully jovial people generally, though sometimes service can be so relaxed that efficiency can suffer somewhat. But the Fairmont combines friendliness and efficiency very well.

Because I was pretty busy with work, I didn't get to check out features such as the pool at all or the food very much, so I can't comment on those.

Especially since I used to live in Manila and have been back several times over the years, it was nice to see this excellent addition to the city's hotel scene.

Anyway, a few additional points I'd make:

1. The Fairmont is in the same building as the Raffles Hotel, with IIRC the Raffles floors being above the Fairmont's (or at least I think I think I recall it correctly - not positive). In any event, this means that in addition to the very pleasant Fairmont lobby area you have access inside the building to the even nicer Fairmont lobby (I believe called the Library, after the original Raffles in Singapore) and a nice bar in the Raffles.
2. The Fairmont is also just five or ten minute walk away from the Greenbelt shopping area, which has loads of outside/inside restaurants and cafes in a pretty pleasant setting (certainly by Manila standards, though the city is no Paris, to put it mildly). Lots of shops in this and other nearby malls as well. (And some restaurants even closer than Greenbelt.) It's worth checking out for a change of pace. And for those not familiar with the Philippines, the hygienic standards are fine so eating in this area (and most other parts of the country) holds no health hazards.
3. By virtue of my Fairmont status, by using a room upgrade certificate I got what was billed as a nicer room than the standard (which is itself very fine). But the only thing that was nicer about the upgrade was that it had very high ceilings. Plus it's on a lower floor. So I switched rooms back to a standard on a higher floor. Bottom line is not to bother burning such certificates on an upgrade there.
4. The hotel was nice enough to cancel my use of the room upgrade certificate, but it took a few days to confirm that the certificate was back in my account.
5. One caution I'd offer is that Manila traffic is often horrible, particularly but by no means only during the rainy season. (March, when I was there, was dry, but the traffic was still atrocious.) So if you have appointments in other parts of town, you might want to consider staying closer to those meetings.
6. The staff makes such a deliberate (but by no means phony) effort to be friendly that it can be just a bit too much in terms of their asking you how you are, etc. This didn't bother me at all, but people preferring a more reserved style might be a bit put off.
7. Very good, large fitness center, though I don't recall how extensive the weight machine options were.

Bottom line is that I'd highly recommend this hotel. Feel free to post or pm me if I can help with any more info.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I stayed here for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I usually stay at the Makati Shangrila down the street so I'm using that as a frame of reference. Got a bog standard room on the top floor, so can't compare the Fairmont Gold lounge to the Shang's Horizon Club.

1. Its a very nice hotel. But it feels like it could be anywhere. I just don't get the feel of being "in Manila" that I get at the Shang or the IC. The staff are much more natural at the Shang, but maybe that's because the hotel is still new. Staff at breakfast knew my name by the second day. ^

2. The bed was very comfortable. Slept like a baby.

3. The Shang, while older, is more spacious, both in the rooms and the lobby.

4. Breakfast is good, but not as many options as the Shang.

5. The gym is large, and I like that there was a lot more natural light than at the Shang, which made for a better early morning workout. There were also 4-6 mats laid out for yoga/pilates if that floats your boat. Didn't use the pool, but my boss did and he said it was fine.

6. My card key stopped working the first morning when I was coming back from the gym and I couldn't take the elevator up to my room. A bellboy came right up with a master key to let me into my room, and while I was walking out of breakfast towards the lobby, he came up to me and gave me a replacement key that he had already prepared. ^

Overall, not a bad hotel, and I'd stay there again if I had to.

But I'd rather be at the Shang.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
My review at TA: Epic Weekend Anniversary Celebration Stay

Booked here as a surprise for my wife - never did I know I will be surprised as well!

A warm smile was waiting as we had our car valet parked. The hotel lobby makes you feel relaxed and cozy upon smelling the wonderful scent of the hotel premises. On the check-in counter, I told the receptionist about our room booking within a Fairmont Gold room. Immediately, she ushered us straight to the Gold Lounge at the 7th floor. There, I was asked for my ID, and after a quick look, Sabrina right then greeted us a happy anniversary and advised us that we are being upgraded from the standard Gold Room to a Gold Corner Suite! I felt my jaw was about to drop and I felt really excited. We went straight to the suite (quite a long walk as it was the farthest room in the hallway) and there, another surprise was waiting for us. It was a welcome message of "Happy Anniversary" in white chocolate. along with artisan truffles, French macarons, and a wide selection of fruits.

The suite is indeed well-appointed - from all the furniture, the best bed by far, the marbled bathroom - everything is just so nice and classy. We just left our stuff and went right away to to the Gold lounge to enjoy some well-prepared snacks and drinks, matched with the great view of the nearby Makati malls and skyscrapers. We headed back to the suite to rest for a bit and freshen up ourselves. While checking out the bath amenities, we were delighted to see the brand: Le Labo - Rose 31. We were even more surprised and touched when we saw our names on the bottle prints! That's a first!

After an hour or so, it was then when Ysrael delivered us our turn-down service - which was of course another surprise! A platter of assorted cheeses, nuts, grapes, dried fruit, and crackers, matched with a chilled bottle of white wine. This gesture definitely sets everything way over the top! We happily took our 2nd snack of the day. When evening came, it was time for the evening cocktails - and of course, the food were all scrumptious and to add to the standard wine, beer and hard drinks, they serve complimentary champagne.

Late at night, they will invite you to take part of their Golden Lullaby, as they serve some great cakes, pastries and chocolates from 9pm-12mn. I haven't heard of any club lounge that is at par with them. Clearly, this has been the best hotel club lounge we've been into - all food selections were superb and to match with the best service we've experienced.

The hotel is relatively brand new so all facilities are still in perfect condition. Location is tops as this would be sitting right beside shopping malls such as Greenbelt, Landmark, and Glorietta. The pool, gym, and spa facilities are all inviting - but too bad we didn't get to experience them all. For breakfast, you have the option to take it at the Gold lounge or at Spectrum. We opted for Spectrum since the selections are wider - and we enjoyed every single dish, plus the amazing service of all the staff there, sorry I was only able to remember Charmaigne and Richelle, and the floor manager Mr. Edwin? Thank you guys!

Another thing we've noticed was the use of local cuisine, art, and furniture/facilities. This adds to promoting the true Filipino heritage and I admire Fairmont for that!

To cap off our stay, we were delighted to receive a late check out (6pm!) so we couldn't ask for anything more. Of course we enjoyed more of the afternoon tea time.

Certainly, this has been the best hotel stay we've experienced so far. What we paid for was so much "value-for-money" as we got a lot of exceptional and personalized service, plus a lot of surprises and complimentary things from the hotel. This stay will be truly remembered and has made our anniversary a very special one. Definitely we will stay again in the near future.

Special mention and thanks to Ms. Gem Valmores for ensuring and making this stay possible.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Gold lounge experience sounds great indeed. May I ask how large the lounge is?

The value proposition of booking a Gold room at Fairmont hotels in Asia tends to be quite a bit better since alcoholic beverages usually are included. How the breakfast offering and what kind of food/snacks was offered in the evening?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Thank you!

The lounge seems to be a whole wing by itself - I would expect around 250-300sqm? I'm bad with estimates, sorry. But judging the size of the suite I stayed at (80sqm), it was 3-4 times as big.

Breakfast you can take either at the lounge or the ground floor restaurant Spectrum. Seeing both options, relatively they got most of the selections from Spectrum, though still limited. In the evening, they have a variety of breads and spreads, assorted cold cuts and cheeses, wide fresh fruit plate, and food creations including chicken, pork, beef, fish, crab, shrimp, etc... really vast choices, plus a range of dessert cakes and artisan chocolates.

Last edited by bluetear; Mar 11, 2014 at 12:29 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:30 pm

Used the 2 free nights for this hotel thinking that I would be able to use the suite upgrade cert as well, but hotel said it does not accept the cert. That was unexpected...

Thinking about cancelling the reservation and rebooking with dollars since a regular room is relatively cheap. Anyone know how generous this hotel is with Gold upgrades when booking a regular room?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Used the 2 free nights for this hotel thinking that I would be able to use the suite upgrade cert as well, but hotel said it does not accept the cert. That was unexpected...

Thinking about cancelling the reservation and rebooking with dollars since a regular room is relatively cheap. Anyone know how generous this hotel is with Gold upgrades when booking a regular room?
Unfortunately, the Fairmont Makati indeed doesn't accept suite upgrade certs. Afaik the Fairmont part of the complex doesn't have any (regular) suites and all the suites are located in the Raffles part of the complex.

Not sure what you mean with "Gold upgrades", but comp. upgrades are not a status benefit, and when a hotel does give a free upgrade, it's extremely rare it would be to a Gold room.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by JunkDiver

I recall using a room upg certificate and was given lounge access with my stay.
But this was in early 2013 so the policy could now be different.

They had just opened so perhaps more than willing to exceed expectation.

I did have an incredible stay. If anything I prefered this hotel much more than the Pacific Rim.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:35 pm

Completed a 3 night stay, used a room upgrade and got into a Gold room w/ Lounge access. Everyone was super nice (lots of 'sirs' and 'ma'ams') with great service. The lounge was great, with hot foods for breakfast (and what a spread...), finger foods for lunch, and hors d'oeuvre for dinner (along with free alcohol during happy hour).

Room itself was fine. A/C coldness was good, which was pretty important for me in Manila. Shower had a rain-style head, which was nice.

Overall, very good stay. Again, everyone was very courteous. Would definitely stay again.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Stayed at the Fairmont Manila in Makati for two nights at the end of April 2015. The staff are all extremely capable and friendly. The room was incredibly comfortable, and the bathroom was amazing, especially the shower.

The Spectrum for breakfast is especially good. I was given an "orientation tour" as it was my first time.

I used the pool, which is okay but nothing special. I also used the car service to bring my luggage, collect me from a meeting, and deliver me to the airport. All worked perfectly well.

The hotel is in a great location near a large shopping centre, lots of restaurants and a very interesting open-air church.
--
13F

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; May 17, 2015 at 2:26 pm Reason: trouble with calendars
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
experience not great

My experience with this property is not great.

As Jasper2009 notes, the Fairmont Makati does not accept FPC upgrade certs nor upgrade guests to the 7th Floor Entrée Gold lounge. I was offered a "special" breakfast rate which worked out to be $50 US for one - and I declined.

I agree the shuttle service from MNL is OK - but most hotels in Manila offer this and they charge $100 US for their service. I took a white cab and the cost was $10 - incl. tip.

I also agree that some of the staff are very nice. Obsequious, perhaps, but they certainly deserve E for effort.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:51 am
R2

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
As Jasper2009 notes, the Fairmont Makati does not accept FPC upgrade certs nor upgrade guests to the 7th Floor Entrée Gold lounge.
I have stayed at the Fairmont Makati several times. As per FPC T&C's they do not accept the Suite upgrade vouchers. However I have been successful in using them there a few times. I send them a request in advance, they reply it will be dependent on availability upon check-in and more than half the time I got upgraded to the corner Suite.

The do accept room upgrade certs. This property has two categories of 'standard' rooms: the Fairmont rooms and the slightly more expensive Deluxe rooms. They are the same size and layout, Deluxe is just supposedly better location (corner, pool view etc).

The trick is to book a Deluxe room and then request to use the room upgrade cert. This way they will upgrade you Fairmont Gold room with lounge access. The lounge is indeed very nice although breakfast offering there is limited. If you're in a Gold room you do not get a complimentary breakfast in the main restaurant, only in the lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
anyone has stayed at this hotel recently.

Thinking if I should stay here or just go to the cheaper newly opened Novotel Suites.

Any benefit extended to All Platinum?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:00 am
R2

Currently at the Fairmont Makati. This is still a very nice hotel although having just had its 10th anniversary, rooms are clearly starting to show age. The location iin the middle of Makati is great and indeed much better compared to the Novotel Acqua. If you have Accor Plat or above, you can have the comp breakfast in Mireio on the Raffles side, it is a huge step up from the always busy Spectrum on the Fairmont side.

The Novotel Suites at Acqua is brand new (soft opening was on Dec 15), rooms are well designed and spacious. Their breakfast is not buffet so you're limited to the à la carte options. They also do not yet provide any Accor ALL benefits contrary to what their website indicates. The big drawback to me would be that it is on the 'wrong' side of the Pasig river - not as nice as Poblacion and Makati where most of the bars, restaurants and malls are located. They have opening promo rates only available by directly booking with them (not on Accor website).
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by R2
Currently at the Fairmont Makati. This is still a very nice hotel although having just had its 10th anniversary, rooms are clearly starting to show age. The location iin the middle of Makati is great and indeed much better compared to the Novotel Acqua. If you have Accor Plat or above, you can have the comp breakfast in Mireio on the Raffles side, it is a huge step up from the always busy Spectrum on the Fairmont side.

The Novotel Suites at Acqua is brand new (soft opening was on Dec 15), rooms are well designed and spacious. Their breakfast is not buffet so you're limited to the à la carte options. They also do not yet provide any Accor ALL benefits contrary to what their website indicates. The big drawback to me would be that it is on the 'wrong' side of the Pasig river - not as nice as Poblacion and Makati where most of the bars, restaurants and malls are located. They have opening promo rates only available by directly booking with them (not on Accor website).
Yeah Novotel Suites location looks quite bad.

How about Sofitel vs Fairmont and the price different is like around USD50 cheaper for Sofitel.

I stayed there for a night in 2018 I think and they were renovating the room and removing the bathtub. So any recent stay here

The good thing about Sofitel also they have lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.