Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:09 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
As a general question.

I know some of us try to call out a manager or even the GM when things go south (especially when it happens a second time). Is this not common with the Fairmont properties in Nth America? Does nobody from management present themselves at any stage?

And since you had that email in hand, why did you not call them out on it?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
As a general question.

I know some of us try to call out a manager or even the GM when things go south (especially when it happens a second time). Is this not common with the Fairmont properties in Nth America? Does nobody from management present themselves at any stage?
Not specific to Fairmont hotels, but I would say it is much less common for management to interact / proactively reach out to / try to meet with (top tier) guests in North America than elsewhere (especially Asia).
gilbertaue, Goldorak and escape4 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I've never had the hotel say I had to wait until checkout to apply the LifeExperience certificates. What it very common, is the hotels will never redeem my LE certificates and put my room account into a credit balance. I always have to wait until a day or two into my stay, until some charges have posted, before I'm able to apply any certificates. I then just apply a new batch each day. Once the hotel redeems the LE certificates, they can't reverse it, and they obviously don't want to refund you in cash. But, I've never heard them say you need to wait until checkout. That doesn't make much sense (unless it was a 1-night stay).
escape4 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:08 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by gilbertaue

And since you had that email in hand, why did you not call them out on it?
Well answering from my own perspective:

My previous communication was with the assistant front desk manager not the GM, so it played a role in how I handled the most recent stay.

At check-in while I was not fully in awe with the process, the end result was a one-category upgrade to a view room which is not against the Accor terms & conditions so I did not feel the need to escalate. At check-out, asking for the GM was not the most convenient course of action because timing was of the essence, and bottom line is that the solution offered was acceptable to me so once again no need to escalate.

If I had to leave the property in a rush without a good solution in hand then yes maybe sending feedback to the GM would have felt more appropriate.

Generally speaking, for me to ask for the GM would require quite a serious issue... believe it or not I am somewhat low maintenance for 95% of our stays, maybe my critical reviews of this property would lead one to believe I am not low maintenance LOL But hopefully my numerous favorable reviews of other properties would back up the claim that I am not a high maintenance complaining customer, if not then I owe a mea culpa
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for the review. Clearly a place to avoid after all those negative reviews.
escape4 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:32 am

Not that I am surprised by the outcome, but after contacting accounting of this property they have refused to credit my points stating that third party bookings do not earn points. While they are technically correct for almost all third party bookings, this is not true of Amex FHR which to the best of my knowledge you earn standard loyalty benefits on top of Amex FHR benefits, at least based on other hotel chains, and I thought also based on the experience of others with Accor:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...k-accor-2.html

So unfortunately that's one more issue that I have to spend time on and push to get the situation rectified...
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:14 pm

Final update: after some back and forth they told me the booking was showing up as Expedia on their end but they credited my points manually ^
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:02 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by escape4
Final update: after some back and forth they told me the booking was showing up as Expedia on their end but they credited my points manually ^
I have had online Amex Canada travel bookings (not FHR but hotel reservation) have Expedia as a supplier on the PDF invoice they send out FYI, possibly why they were confused.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:35 pm

Fairmont Tremblant has a new front office manager and she proactively reached out to me to discuss my recent (negative) feedback. She addressed each point one by one; I appreciated the effort and willingness to improve things particularly since in this thread it's clear I am not alone in having concerns about this property. Hopefully this will lead to positive results and favorable experience for several guests in 2020 and beyond.

She also indicated that they are considering opening the Gold lounge for a longer period of time during the year because they are seeing increased demand for it, which aligns with previous posts in this thread to this effect.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Fairmont Tremblant has a new front office manager and she proactively reached out to me to discuss my recent (negative) feedback. She addressed each point one by one; I appreciated the effort and willingness to improve things particularly since in this thread it's clear I am not alone in having concerns about this property. Hopefully this will lead to positive results and favorable experience for several guests in 2020 and beyond.

She also indicated that they are considering opening the Gold lounge for a longer period of time during the year because they are seeing increased demand for it, which aligns with previous posts in this thread to this effect.
What was the response on why you couldn't redeem the LE certs until checkout? Unless your rate was prepaid, that still doesn't make sense to me. I'm at the hotel now, and I dropped off $1000 worth of certs on the morning of day 3 of a 7 night stay, and they didn't have any issue redeeming them, and forwarded a statement a couple hours later showing the credit applied. I've never been told to wait until checkout, and often get the reaction that they're pleased I not wait, due to the time it takes to redeem them.

I hope they do open the Gold lounge more, but they have been reviewing that policy for years, but haven't done it yet. Rates keep going up, so hopefully that's a sign that off-season demand is changing and will make it possible.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
What was the response on why you couldn't redeem the LE certs until checkout?
The answer was that they apologized, they should have taken care of the certs when I handed them out the first time, and that they will improve staff training in that regard.

Sounds like it worked for you!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:28 pm

Review of a great week

I've never used the review function on FT, so I'll just write my review as a regular post. About a week ago, I spent a week (Sunday to Sunday) at the Fairmont Tremblant for the first of a few winter ski trips.

It's fairly easy to get to Mont-Tremblant. We've driven here a few times, but most times we just fly, because it's really easy. We flew into Mont-Tremblant (YTM) airport, which is basically a small post and beam log construction airport near to the resort. It's one of the fastest airport experiences you can have. You step off the plane, walk through the building, and head straight to the shuttles. Time from aircraft to shuttle is less than 1 minute. The shuttles take passengers direct to their hotels, and are operated by the airport and timed to arrive with the flights. The shuttles are MB Sprinter vans, each towing a baggage trailer. It's about a 30-40 minutes shuttle ride, as the airport is not right near the ski resort, as the topography of the ski area doesn't lend itself well for the building of an airport.

Right outside the airport, in the photo below, you can see a wooden shelter on the left. That's the baggage claim. You can also see an Air Canada plane on the other side of the fence. The baggage cart drives from the plane, through the fence gate, and parks under the shelter. You grab your bags and skis and drop them in the trailer of the shuttle to your hotel. You're basically on your way in minutes. It's just a Dash-8 aircraft, so not many passengers and not much baggage, so it doesn't take long.

Mont-Tremblant (YTM) airport

The return process is just as easy. The airport tells you what time the shuttle will pick you up for your flight. The shuttle drivers work for the airport, and will affix the airline baggage tags at the hotel driveway, and your luggage is considered checked-in by the airline as you depart on the shuttle from the hotel. You then just walk into the airport, through security and then into the departure lounge (there only is 1 gate).

We arrived at the hotel, and the shuttle driver unloaded the luggage, and it was all carted inside by the bell staff. We were staying on the Gold floor, so we walked by reception and headed straight to the 7th floor to check-in on Fairmont Gold.

Gold Lounge check-in

The check-in process was easy. The hotel was sold out and no upgrade on arrival was provided. However, none was expected as we had booked Fairmont Gold, so there really was no place to upgrade into anyway.

I had sent an e-mail to the hotel in advance, and made four requests, and all were carried out. Firstly, we asked for an early check-in, to coincide with the arrival of the YTM airport shuttle, and that was provided. Second, I requested a specific room number, which I like for the layout, view and proximity to the lounge and elevators, and they had no issue giving us our favourite room. Third, because the area is very dry in winter, I wanted a steam humidifier for the room, and we found one steaming away when we entered. Finally, we asked that the hotel provide an additional clothes dresser in our room for our stay, as we tend to have a lot of clothes on a week-long ski trip, and it was sitting there for us on arrival. So far, everything was as perfect as can be.

In the room, there were a couple of differences from prior stays. The provided the larger Fairmont toiletries, whereas in the past, I've only ever received the small bottles at this property. There was also a change in the welcome amenity. This might be an Accor influence, because it's the first time I've ever received apples at the Fairmont Tremblant, as we received a fruit plate (photo below). Historically, I've always received a very local amenity, consisting of cheeses and maple products. Not terribly impressed, but the fruit was good.

Welcome amenity

We headed over to the lounge to grab a quick drink and snack. We were there maybe 5 minutes, and went back to the room. During that time, our luggage was dropped in our room and was set up on luggage racks. We unpacked and then returned to the lounge for appetizers. The room was basic, and could use an update. The rooms are not large, at around 350 square feet, but have what we need. There is a wall-mounted television, the usual Fairmont bed and pillows, and a desk. There is also a small bar area with fridge and coffee maker, although with the Gold lounge, we've never needed it. The bathroom is also small, but I do like the electric heater for the towel rack. We have a nice view to the ski hill, the village and the lake.

The evening appetizers changed every night. They were always very good, and typically consisted of three hot items, in addition to a table of cold items like vegetables, cheeses, smoked salmon, and assorted snacks. Hot items were everything from poutine (really good) to shrimp, to chicken, to bacon wrapped scallops, to smoked meat. They kept it varied each night. We only ate dinner in the restaurant 1 night, and for the other 6 nights, we had the evening appetizers as our dinner, and it was certainly sufficient.

The lounge itself is rather small and cozy and quiet, which is just the way I like it. It has a ski lodge feel to it, which is appropriate, since everyone here is on vacation skiing! The Gold floor consists of only 22 rooms (including 2 suites), and there are just enough tables that everyone could be seated if they all arrived at the same time (not that that ever happened).

Gold Lounge entrance

Gold Lounge

Gold Lounge fireplace

Gold Lounge exit

After the evening appetizers were complete, the desserts were put out and replenished until closing at 10 PM. The dessert items were also changed every day.

Desserts after evening appetizers

More desserts

I walked around and took a few photos one evening. Since I was basically out skiing every day, my photos are generally at night. Below is the main reception area, which as 4 check-in desks on the left, and then 2 concierge desks on the back wall.

Main hotel receiption

Below is the entrance to the two main restaurants in the hotel, which are side-by-side. Both restaurants are new in the last couple of years. We had dinner in Le Comptoir one night, which is the more family-friendly of the two. It had great buffet, which the chef changes each day. There was a big assortment of items, including a chef grilling seafood and carving roast beef the night we ate there. Choux Gras is the other restaurant (I have no idea why they named it that, but fortunately, the menu doesn't contain any 'choux gras'). We didn't eat here on this stay, but it is excellent and highly recommended.

Hotel restaurants

Also on the main level is the main hotel bar; Axe. The Axe lounge is separated from the main lobby by a large 3-sided fireplace, and stretches over to the windows overlooking the pools. We had drinks and snacks here a couple of times.

When we arrived, we received the standard welcome drink voucher, good for two drinks. As I'm not a drinker, I asked the Gold concierge to replace it with 2 separate drink vouchers so we could redeem them at different visits, which she happily did. We were told they were good for any drink up to $100. That seems high, and we didn't test it. My wife just ordered her favourite drinks, which are in the $20-$30 range.

Axe bar

I'm not normally one to photograph my food, but I had a really unusual caesar salad. I'd never seen this presentation before, but it tasted great.

Caeser salad at Axe

Down on the Terrace level of the hotel (2 levels below the main lobby), is the exit to the village and the ski-out. Just off the elevators, in the left of the photo below, is a ticket area to buy lift tickets or lessons. We have season passes, so don't really use it, but it is convenient to have it right in the hotel. It's staffed by the ski resort itself and not the hotel, but you can still charge purchases to your room. On the right is a ski rental shop and a ski valet. The ski valet is very convenient. Basically, get dressed in your room, come off the elevator, grab your skis, walk out the door, and ski down to the chairlift.

Hotel terrace level

Just past the exit to the ski-out is a little café, which serves a really nice breakfast in the morning, and an assortment of other items throughout the day and into the early evening. In the late evening, it's closed and you will need to get food at the Axe lounge.

Ricochet

As you walk to the ski-out, you pass by the outdoor pools. They have 4 pools. A large swimming pool, which is kept at a nice comfortable temperature. They have a large hot tub, and a smaller but hotter hot tub, and a cold plunge pool. There is also an indoor pool, indoor hot tub, steam rooms and a gym. In the photo below, you can see the pools, and the indoor pools are just inside the windows. On the mezzanine level above the pool is the spa. The upper windows in the photo below is the Choux Gras restaurant.

Hotel pools at night beside the ski-out

Ski-out

Right next to the hotel, every evening, they operate a sledding and tubing hill, which then is turned back into a learning ski-hill for the next morning.

Nightly tubing next to the hotel

This image is looking back at the hotel from by the Flying Mile chairlift.

Looking back at the hotel from the ski hill

We walked through the village, which was still decorated for Christmas.

Walking through the resort village

The resort also has a large skating rink, and guests of the hotels can get free skate rentals at the rink.

Skating activities

Fire by the skating rink

I thought I should at least post a couple of photos in daylight. Below was skiing one of the runs on the North side of the mountain.

Skiing on the North side of the mountain

And this is skiing on the South side, with Lac Tremblant in the background.

Skiing on the South side of the mountain

Here are the hotel pools in the day. Skiing six straight days, the pools of varying temperatures were a very welcome way to finish the day, allowing a great Nordic spa experience cycling between hot and cold pools.

Hotel pools in daylight

The day of departure was interesting, and the only hugely annoying part of the stay, but not the fault of the hotel. Upon checkout, I wanted to redeem a pile of Accor points. I don't save them up, and I redeem them with each stay. I had about 50k of them from my long weekend stay over Thanksgiving in NYC, and I wasn't going to leave without using them, or so I thought. It was at this point that we found out hotel was unable to redeem them. After a series of computer messages between the hotel front office and the Accor "helpdesk", it was learned that my points account had been frozen. Apparently, they don't notify your when this happens, they just lock your points and you don't even see anything wrong until you try to use them. I would eventually learn that Accor proactively froze the account after a login of an "unknown device". I log in using my phone, my home PC, my work PC, my laptop and a host of devices, so chances are, the unknown device was actually mine. But, this proved to be really difficult getting it fixed. As it turned out, the only way to unfreeze an account, is to contact Accor Customer Service (which I could not reach due to heavy call volumes), and then they need me to send them a picture ID. By this point, the hotel Manager was involved, arguing with Accor over their internal chat system that he has personally verified multiple pieces of my ID, and than I really am who I say I am. But, no, they need to speak to me, by me calling them on the regular phone like, reciting my address, and sending them a scan of my ID. Then Accor would unlock the account within 48 business hours. What a completely screwed up mess Accor has built. The hotel Manager convinced Accor, over their messaging system (apparently, they don't even have an easy way to phone them), to have them call me, since the hold times calling them were ridiculous. They eventually called me while I was boarding my aircraft home, hours later. But, I still needed to send them a picture ID.

But, I needed to leave to head home, and I wanted to use my points. So, the hotel said not to worry. They would call me in a few days after my account was fixed, leave my room account open, and we'd redeem the points over the phone, and then I could give them a Fairmont gift card number over the phone for the remaining balance. The hotel did what they could within an absolutely messed up system. By Wednesday of last week, all was taken care of.

For the most part, billing was OK. I was able to use LifeExperience certificates against my account, dropping off two batches throughout the stay, and having no issues going over the $1,000 limit. We did have breakfast in the restaurant on Saturday, after we missed breakfast in the Gold lounge in order to ski first tracks. The breakfast did appear on our room account, but the front desk removed that, since weekend breakfast is a Diamond benefit. We were told in advance to just order breakfast and sign for it, and that we weren't to be charged. I guess their computer system isn't programmed yet to know to not bill for restaurant charges when the guest is a Diamond member, the meal is for breakfast items, and the day of the week is Saturday or Sunday! The hotel were aware of the program benefit, but the computer system wasn't.

All in all, it was a great stay. Great weather for skiing. Great service by the hotel staff (if not from the morons at Accor HQ). We'll be back in March for another week of skiing.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:08 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The picture ID may not be Accor fault entirely. GDPR imposés such restriction for some cases of contacting customer support. A German company was fined 10 millions Euros (2 months ago) as their customer support processes did not include verifying customer ID when they requested a change of personal info.
Some company are now going overboard and will request this or a proof of ID for anything. It might have been what happens here.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Great review. Thank you. I am impressed by how professional the hotel has been to handle your point use issue.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
The picture ID may not be Accor fault entirely. GDPR imposés such restriction for some cases of contacting customer support. A German company was fined 10 millions Euros (2 months ago) as their customer support processes did not include verifying customer ID when they requested a change of personal info.
Some company are now going overboard and will request this or a proof of ID for anything. It might have been what happens here.
I certainly understand the need to verify ID when there's a security issue. And if I had been at home, trying to redeem points online, I could agree with the process. However, I was standing in the hotel, in person, speaking with the duty manager at the time. Surely a company manager, speaking to me in-person, and verifying my physical ID in-person, is more secure than sending in a picture of my ID by e-mail. E-mail is not the most secure communication method, and I didn't feel comfortable sending my ID that way, but Accor insisted. Secondly, I could have just Photoshopped the ID and they wouldn't have been the wiser. Why can they not accept the word of a hotel manager to unlock the account? They look at guest passports and drivers licenses and credit cards at check-in. They know who the guests are better than a telephone rep in an Accor call centre. The process also means that no customer whose account has been locked, will be able to redeem their points on the current stay, because they won't know about the lock until checkout, and it will take at least two days to clear it. I think a new process is needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.