Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Over on BT:

Sofitel’s Amsterdam property – The Grand – has officially launched as a “Sofitel Legend”, the five-star hotel chain’s top tier for properties with “rarity and exclusivity”.

Sited in the centre of Amsterdam, the former convent and home of the Dutch Admiralty was selected to be the first European Sofitel Legend because of its long history (though it has been a hotel only a few decades).

The move to create Sofitel Legend properties is part of Accor’s continued repositioning of its top tier Sofitel brand, a move which has seen the number of Sofitels drop in recent years as they have either been rebranded as Pullmans or M Gallery properties, or have left the Accor group altogether. The first Sofitel Legend was the Metropole in Hanoi.

The Sofitel Grand has had tens of millions spent on it in the last three years, and now has a two-floor spa including swimming pool, new public areas and meeting rooms, and most notably a new restaurant – Bridges.

The property, which has been a Sofitel for several years, has undergone an extensive renovation in recent years under French interior architect Sybille de Margerie (also responsible for the Hôtel de Crillon in Paris and Hôtel Cheval Blanc in Courchevel). The hotel’s restaurant has taken its design inspiration from an existing mural in situ by Dutch COBRA artist Karel Appel.

Other hotels lined up to join The Grand as Sofitel Legends include the Old Cataract in Aswan (Egypt), Palais Jamaï in Fez (Morocco), Santa Clara in Cartagena (Colombia), the Winter Palace in Luxor (Egypt) and The Cecil in Alexandria (Egypt).
uggboy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's been a few years since I stayed at this hotel, but I agree that it should be in this class. It's one of the absolute top hotels in Amsterdam. Maybe even better than the Amstel now.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's been a few years since I stayed at this hotel, but I agree that it should be in this class. It's one of the absolute top hotels in Amsterdam. Maybe even better than the Amstel now.
Don't forget the Amstel has a Michelin Guide listed restaurant inside.. La Rive.
The Sofitel however is in close vicinity of a FEBO establishment
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what a FEBO is, but as for the hotels, the Sofitel has been improving and renovating, while the Amstel is declining and in need of a good renovation.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:44 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
FEBO

uggboy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't know what a FEBO is, but as for the hotels, the Sofitel has been improving and renovating, while the Amstel is declining and in need of a good renovation.
what ??? you don't know what a FEBO is ???
anyway you did not miss that much, some more junkfood...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, from the picture I recognize it. But I have of course never been in one after 15 years in Amsterdam. Not sure what it has to do with Sofitel?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone stayed here recently? How is the hotel with upgrades?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:01 am
Suspended

btw, the exec chef there is Joris Bijdendijk, for French viewers, he participated to Top Chef in 2013
from what i've heard, the food is pretty good
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sohan
Has anyone stayed here recently? How is the hotel with upgrades?
Stayed here for four nights late December in a luxury room with canal view. Only offered a paid upgrade to a Prestige Suite but it was a big price differential and not worth it for the small amount of time actually spent in the room. You are in Amsterdam after all!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Pierre48
Stayed here for four nights late December in a luxury room with canal view. Only offered a paid upgrade to a Prestige Suite but it was a big price differential.
Vive Accor Le Club

I will think of you when staying in my superb Executive suite with free minibar/guaranteed 8am check-in/guaranteed 4pm check-out/free spa and indoor pool at the lovely Amstel (free upgrade for Royal Ambassadors when booking cheapest advance rate)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Vive Accor Le Club

I will think of you when staying in my superb Executive suite with free minibar/guaranteed 8am check-in/guaranteed 4pm check-out/free spa and indoor pool at the lovely Amstel (free upgrade for Royal Ambassadors when booking cheapest advance rate)
Without FEBO as part of RA benefits I will stick with Accor I can get French food in France or just about anywhere else, but kroket is a true Dutch treat!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Anyone stayed here recently? (I've looked at the 2017 post your experience thread as well with no joy)

I have a one night stay in just over two weeks' time and am looking forward to trying this Sofitel out and see how it compares to the WA in this great city.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:30 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Is it just me or does the 'review' feature not work right now? I can't seem to get it to load the review page...just loads the footer of FT page...

Had a lovely stay here, will post the review and pics as soon as that works again!

Cheers,

BotB
starflyergold and uggboy like this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:43 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam Opera Suite Review

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197 Amsterdam, NL 1012 EX

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam Opera Suite Review (45 Photos)

A lovely hotel in the centre of Amsterdam. Excellent service throughout the hotel from all staff. Expensive if using cash but now my current favourite in this city, especially if you can use some points to reduce the price.

Lots of pictures, hope they convey the excellent quality of this hotel.

General Entrance Courtyard (as seen from the room windows):

Sofitel Amsterdam | View to Hotel Entran

Inner courtyard public area:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Outdoor Garden Area.

One of the many nice public areas in the hotel:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Common Areas.jpg

A staircase that was off the main reception area:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Common Areas 3.jpg

Finally a lovely 'scene' framed in one of the windows:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Common Areas 2.jpg

Check In

I had checked in using the Accor app online a day or two in advance. I arrived around 6 PM and there was no queue so could check in quite quickly. As the room I had booked included butler service I was asked to wait briefly for the butler to come and show me the room and introduce himself to me. By the time the check in was done the butler was ready and off we went.

I had used some accor points to help reduce the rather expensive rates for this hotel (although similar to other 5 star hotels in Amsterdam). I had booked a junior suite with breakfast and was upgraded to an Opera suite. (as a gold Accor member). I had been given a letter welcoming me to the hotel and this included the drink voucher (I didn’t end up using it so can’t say what it can be used for). Late check out was mentioned but I didn’t need it but seems like they do offer members that option.

I did like the 'old school' indicators used in the elevators:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Elevator Indicator.j

Service

I had excellent service throughout the stay and in all areas of the hotel from all staff members.

The front desk staff were particularly good and I noted they made every guest feel special, regardless of room type, le club member or not, etc…(to be commended!) ^

I did like the ability to have one contact point for any queries (the butler) but if another staff member was convenient then it was never an issue to talk to them instead (which I have heard other hotels ask people to always go through their butler). I had a shirt ironed (done quickly and very well) and was offered a glass of the house champagne at my leisure by the butler during my stay.

Nice glass of bubbles to start the stay:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Welcome Champagne.jp

I noted the room was cleaned up or tidied a few times during my one night stay so did appreciate that.

Turn down service was offered here and as I arrived fairly late, the room was already ‘turned down’.

The welcome gift was soon also dropped off at the room:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Welcome Gift.jpg

Dining

Bridges (the hallway leads to both restaurants, the Michelin starred seafood themed restaurant, where breakfast is also served (on the right) and the Bistro (on the left) for more casual eating.

1_Sofitel Amsterdam | Restaurant and Bis

Bridges is a one star Michelin star restaurant and I did not try it as I am not a seafood fan particularly and this restaurant majors on this theme. The Bistro is a more casual dining affair and also has seafood but other options as well. I had a lovely caprese salad (using Articokes instead of tomatoes as a special house version) and then some Merguez sausages in a chick pea sauce. The draft beer was also very tasty but I do think it was rather potent stuff…beware!

Breakfast was served in Bridges and there was a very large and nice selection of food items covering all areas (fruits, breads, sweets, etc…) as well as hot made to order items available from a menu. I ate around 8:30 AM on a weekday and it was still quite busy so be aware that this is popular!

I also had a drink or two in the bar, called the fllying dutchman and although quite small and intimate, it is a nice venue for meeting someone and a pre or post dinner drink. The bar chap was very friendly as well and i certainly enjoyed the two drinks he made for me.

The Flying Dutchman Bar:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Flying Dutchman Bar.

The end of the bar area:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Flying Dutchman Bar

My eggs Benedict (hot cooked to order item from the menu);

1_Sofitel Amsterdam | Eggs Benedict.jpg

Room

The suites have been given names:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Suite Name.jpg

The floor plan for this area of the hotel:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Floor Plan Segment.j

The main living and dining area on the ground floor of the duplex suite:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Living Room 2.jpg

The room was a duplex suite with the bedroom, ensuite bathroom and separate WC as well as a garderobe and rather large walk in changing room upstairs and then the main living room / dining room downstairs with another guest WC. It is possible to enter the suite from the lower level as well as the upper level using either floor (and a communal elevator to reach either floor) or via the internal really rather steep stair case (as the ground floor is an older arrangement with ceilings about 3 to 4 meters high!). You definitely do not want to navigate the stairs if you are not good with stairs, had a few drinks or were elderly / small children.

Sofitel Amsterdam | Living Room from Ent

Looking back at the dining area and entrance to the living/dining area:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Living Room toward E

Sofitel Amsterdam | Sideboard.jpg

Sideboard contents;

(Never quite seen so many 'manuals' for hotel help! great to see!):

Sofitel Amsterdam | Hotel Info Package.j

Sofitel Amsterdam | Nespresso pods.jpgSofitel Amsterdam | Nice Tea Selection.jSofitel Amsterdam | Sideboard Minibar 2.Sofitel Amsterdam | Sideboard Minibar 3.Sofitel Amsterdam | Sideboard Minibar.jp

The room was lovely, around 75 m2 in size and had everything I could ask for. The amenities were the usual Hermes items, there were TVs in the main rooms with a third TV in the bathroom as well. The ensuite bathroom was a nice size but maybe a bit cramped for two at the same time (and only one sink).

The Bedroom:

1_Sofitel Amsterdam | Bedroom view back

The main attraction (a lovely king bed with excellent bedding materials):

1_Sofitel Amsterdam | King Bed.jpg

Night table detail:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Night table detail.j

Turn down service:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Turndown service.jpg

The Sofitel bedding is truly magnificent and I slept very well indeed. As there was very little traffic in this area of the hotel, you won’t hear much traffic in the hallways (as the door was not noise isolated very well). All the rooms could be closed off from each other so help keep areas separate and private, although I did note that there was no locking capability for the ensuite.

The Bathroom areas:

1_Sofitel Amsterdam | Ensuite Bathroom.j

The main sink/vanity area:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Sink Vanity Area.jpg

The lovely deep, party bathtub: (complete with TV)

Sofitel Amsterdam | Deep Bathtub.jpgSofitel Amsterdam | Large Tub and TV.jpg

All the towels and bathrobes had the hotel emblem embossed on them:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Embossed Towels Bath

A nice large walk--in shower (separate from the bathtub) with both a rain shower head as well as a hand wand:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Shower.jpg

The two WC’s have Japanese Toto toilets and these really are a treat if you have never tried them before. They can heat, vibrate, spray water or air over your bottom and automatically adjust the ventilation based on your actions! 

1_Sofitel Amsterdam | Guest WC with TotoSofitel Amsterdam | Upper Floor WC.jpgSofitel Amsterdam | WC Toto Controls.jpg

I also liked the Good Morning/Good Night vanity items on the bed which are a nice touch.

Sofitel Amsterdam | Good Night.jpg

Sofitel Amsterdam | Good Morning.jpg

The pictures can do the rest of the talking, the rooms were very large and lovely.

The minibar had plenty of items for those interested and the tea and Nespresso selection was very good as well.

The other areas of the suite

Some pictures of the common areas of the suite:

Here the hallway and stairs area:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Upper Floor Hallway.

Stairs (as seen from the upper floor):

Sofitel Amsterdam | Upper Floor Hallway

And then looking down the abyss...you definitely want to be in full control of your facilities (not drunk, not elderly and not a small child!):

Sofitel Amsterdam | Very Steep Stairs.jp

There was also a separate fairly large room for the wardrobe and to get clothed each day just off the main upper hallway with several 2m high shelving, the safe, drawers and areas to hang things:

Sofitel Amsterdam | Dressing Room Safe DSofitel Amsterdam | Large Walk In DressiSofitel Amsterdam | Separate Dressing Ro

End of the review, thanks for reading it, hope it is of use, comments and questions greatly appreciated!

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam Opera Suite Review

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam?

No, thank you.
Yes
passy777, uggboy and EcotoneHR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.