Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Mercure Roxy SG - Any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Grand Mercure Roxy SG - Any experiences?

We are thinking about staying at the Roxy in December, and we are both A-club Plat. Have anyone stayed there recently? What kind of perks (eg. upgrade) would I get as a Plat?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by nacho
We are thinking about staying at the Roxy in December, and we are both A-club Plat. Have anyone stayed there recently? What kind of perks (eg. upgrade) would I get as a Plat?

Thanks.
I've done something like 5 stays there.

If you are only transiting in SIN, The Grand Mercure is great: free shuttle to/from the airport that can be reached in less than 20 minutes.
The swimming pool is nice as well.
i like the hawker center which is across the street.
However if you want to go to the center, you either have to take a cab (which is still cheap) or take a bus+metro (which can be long)
no free internet in my last stay which is older than 1 year ago

i can not tell you anything about the perks you may got as Platinum, since i am a lowly basic member, but all i can say is the concierge has been really helpfull when needed.

But for my last stay in SIN, i had to give a try to the Novotel Clark Quay (the grand mercure roxy was full) and due to its location, i highly recommend this one if you intend to spend some time in SIN.
Also a great swimming pool and some nice staff + some free internet on Mac in the hall
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:28 am
Company Representative, Accorhotels

Programs: ALL - Accor Live Limitless
Hi nacho !

In addition to the points you get as an A|Club member, you will receive 100% A|Club points bonus thanks to your Platinum status.

However, exclusive benefits such as room upgrade are only applied at Sofitel, Pullman and MGallery (upon request, and subject to availability).

Regards,

Dieu Anh
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info. I thought Roxy is located close to a MRT? I know about Novotel but they cost about SGD 70 extra per night. Plus Mr.Nacho and I are travelling with 3 small Nachos which means that I'll have to ask Novotel if all the small Nachos can be in the same room as us (they are too young to use connecting room).
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As a rule, Singapore hotels are very tough on kid numbers.

For us (2 kids) 1 kid sharing with parents was OK, but big trouble finding a place that would allow 2. Three kids will almost certainly require 2 rooms or a suite or something ....

We went to the YMCA near Scotts road and used a mini-suite.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
As a rule, Singapore hotels are very tough on kid numbers.

For us (2 kids) 1 kid sharing with parents was OK, but big trouble finding a place that would allow 2. Three kids will almost certainly require 2 rooms or a suite or something ....

We went to the YMCA near Scotts road and used a mini-suite.
It's not just SG that's tough with kids, the only place on earth I have seen that is not is the US (they don't care).

That's why I e-mailed Roxy and asked if it's ok for us to do that, and I got a reply that I can. So that I have a re-assurance in case something happens at check-in. I also found another 3 hotels from bookings.com that don't mind any number of kids as long as you don't need extra beds.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Good on you! Pre-internet days traipsing around SIN trying to find a hotel that would take us in was a bitter experience!

Of course, a serviced apartment is a viable alternative if you are staying for (usually) 1 week or more. Cheers, TK
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We'll only stay there for 4 nights. The first night will be at SIN transit hotel. E-mailed and asked and we were offered a triple room for all of us. Which is SGD 100 cheaper than staying at Roxy.

I guess if you don't ask for the 'extras' like bed and towels they probably wouldn't really care. We'll be bring our own travel bed for 1 and perhaps sleeping bags for the others.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:45 am

[QUOTE=nacho;16142671]Thanks a lot for the info. I thought Roxy is located close to a MRT?QUOTE]

Roxy is not close to a MRT since you either have to take a bus or a cab.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Mynameismud;16151393]
Thanks a lot for the info. I thought Roxy is located close to a MRT?QUOTE]

Roxy is not close to a MRT since you either have to take a bus or a cab.
Yes, you are right. What about buses? I saw they have bus stops close by.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
[QUOTE=nacho;16159620]
Originally Posted by Mynameismud

Yes, you are right. What about buses? I saw they have bus stops close by.
Hola Nacho,

I'll be staying in Roxy too on this weekend. Just done extensive research for Singapore and I found this bus route. GM Roxy probably quite far from MRT Station but it is conveniently located to the bus station. Just cross the street and jump in to the bus, then..you're heading to the city.

Public Bus - buses run from 6am to midnight daily.

Fare: From $0.90 ( air-conditioned). Please give the exact change with the bus-diver on the appropriate fare for your destination. NB: Bus-stop is within walking distance from the hotel.

Bus Services: Bus No: 36 - Takes you to Marina Centre / Suntec City / City Hall to Orchard Road loop turn at the end back again to the hotel.

Bus Services: Bus No: 196 - Takes you to Suntec City / Raffles Place.

Bus Services: Bus No: 197 - Takes you to Chinatown.

Bus Service : Bus No: 32 pick-up from East Coast Road ( behind the hotel ) to Clarke Quay.

Bus Service: Bus No: 10 pick-up from East Coast Road ( behind the hotel ) to HarbourFront outside Sentosa Island.

Bus Service: Bus no: 48m- Takes you to Little India

Train (MRT) Nearest train station to/from Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel is Paya Lebar Station. Take the bus no: 76 or 135 or 43 from the opposite bus-stop to this station in just 10 -15mintues.

Taxi - Fare starts from SGD $2.80 for the first 1km and your ride may incur additional charges during peak hours or at prime districts. Please note: Taxis can be quite difficult to flag down during peak hours. Advanced booking is highly recommended with additional charge.

Complimentary Airport shuttle service (to/from the hotel) is from 7am to 2am daily. My sister told me that you should reserve to the concierge (not Accor Concierge in this forum - peace ) in advance ( I mean 1 or 2 hours) before you depart to airport because I'm afraid there would be sudden mass departure to airport and you have to take taxi instead.

Hope this would help you. Cheers

Last edited by virtualaris; Apr 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!

Is it possible for you to tell me about the hotel after your trip?

Thanks and have a good time in SG.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG

Thanks.
Stayed there several times, none of them recent. Very busy hotel, a lot air crews stay there. Don't think there'll be any upgrades, maybe late checkout. Just an ordinary corporate style hotel.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I mentioned to them all they said was just the usual 100% bonus earning for Plats. The even stated if you check out at 12:30 they will impose a 50% room charge, how nice.

We won't be since we have a flight to catch at 13:30, but the whole thing sounds so stingy, I guess it's the Singaporean attitude :P
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
I mentioned to them all they said was just the usual 100% bonus earning for Plats. The even stated if you check out at 12:30 they will impose a 50% room charge, how nice.

We won't be since we have a flight to catch at 13:30, but the whole thing sounds so stingy, I guess it's the Singaporean attitude :P
Wow, really? 50% room charge? That's very nice. I emailed them from the first time and I ask for upgrade for being Gold. They politely tell me that the room upgrade is only available in Sofitel and not in Grand Mercure. It's quite contradiction to Ibis North Point, Hong Kong. I emailed them and mentioned that I'm Gold. I only asked whether the construction in Ibis would still ongoing during my stay, the GM responded me that there's still ongoing construction in Ibis and he guaranteed that he will upgrade my room if I choose Ibis North Point. It's really surprising that even in Ibis, Gold has better recognition than in Grand Mercure. I think even that it states that room upgrade only available in Sofitel, Pullman, and MGallery...actually the benefit depends on the management of each properties, whether they would be willing to upgrade top tier loyal members or not.

Another example perhaps, Mercure Wanshang Beijing. I emailed them that I will have short winter vacation in Beijing, and I asked whether I could left my luggage during my departure to Harbin (1,249 km from Beijing) by train even if I have checked out from the hotel. They responded warmly that they will kept my luggage free of charge and they said that since I'm coming from tropical country, they will provide me additional heater free of charge. See? I believe that it depends on the management of the properties. I believe that more of top management of Accor properties will realize that they should treat their top members better and cash flows would generated back to them. Lol, I should have posted this on another thread. But, it's okay. I think it's quite related to the previous posting. :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.