Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont The Norfolk

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Exclamation Fairmont The Norfolk

Last week I heard from a friend who stayed at this hotel. He said it was horrible. Could not beleive that it was part of the Fairmont Brand.

Any other experiences?

Last edited by Cascadia; Oct 27, 2007 at 9:00 pm
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Gold Medallion DL, Silver VIP Hilton, Platinum Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
Recent Stay at Fairmont Norfolk Nairobi

I don't know what you're friend was talking about. Its not the nicest Fairmont on the planet, but its nice enough to be in the Fairmont brand.

The Norfolk hotel is one of the oldest hotels in Nairobi, which adds a lot of history to the hotel.

It has a great workout gym and pool as well as a great outdoor restaurant. Its Nairobi, so traffic will suck and crime is always an issue, but the hotel is a good option of the Intercontinental is sold out.

If you don't have to be down town I'd opt for the TRIBE, which is located in the Gigiri section of Nairobi, just down the street from the UN.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I have a potential visit to Nairobi in about three weeks. Are there any more recent experiences with this property? Thanks.
--
13F
Old May 26, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I stayed twice in January and would definitely stay there again if visiting Nairobi.

Rooms adjacent to the courtyard are much quieter than those near the hotel entrance. The front of the hotel can get quite noisy early in the morning, especially if there is some function scheduled for the morning. Between people going through security and doors closing, it can lead to a restless early morning.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rny321
I stayed twice in January and would definitely stay there again if visiting Nairobi.

Rooms adjacent to the courtyard are much quieter than those near the hotel entrance. The front of the hotel can get quite noisy early in the morning, especially if there is some function scheduled for the morning. Between people going through security and doors closing, it can lead to a restless early morning.
Very good to know. Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately my schedule changed and I will be skipping NBO on this trip. I hope to finally make it there in November.
--
13F
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:25 pm

Have been in the Norfolk for last 6 nights. It certainly isn't "horrible" but I have been in better. Staff very friendly, gym good, rooms comfortable.

However I know one of the management at the Serena and when I mentioned the Norfolk was cheaper she smiled and said 'they look cheaper but will sting you with the add ons'.

Sure enough at dinner when the bill came they added to the menu prices 16% VAT, 2% tax, 8% service charge (ie 26% overall) and even then there was a line on the bill marked 'extra tip'. I ignored this on the basis that service was added and the waiter looked a bit pained. Added to which very shortly after 10pm they started clearing the restaurant even though I was still finishing.

From a look around I would say occupancy is low, I got a very competitive room rate and they seem to be banking on the add ons to make money. I'm in Nairobi each quarter and would think seriously about coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.