FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Destination Suggestions for Burned Out Traveler?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:27 am
christianj

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Not sure if you are willing to fly out to California but if that works I would recommend spending a couple of days in the Laguna Beach area. We starting including Laguna Beach in our yearly trip out to California and Palm Springs several years ago. The area is amazing and there are a lot of options either in Laguna or within a short driving distance that offer nice sightseeing, great shopping, art galleries, excellent restaurants, etc.

We usually stay at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel and the place is amazing! The views of the beach from the ocean view rooms cannot be beat and if you enjoy evening sunsets then this is the place to stay. Staff has always been overly friendly and we have never had any issues with attitude toward our lifestyle either at the hotel or anywhere in the area. Location is great for walking on the beach or just relaxing by the pool or on your balcony. We have also tried the St. Regis but didn't like it as much due to its distance from the beach. If money is no object I would also check out the Montage which is supposed to be one of the best hotels in the country. Other options which we have looked at are the Surf and Sand
Resort and the Casa Laguna Inn.

There used to be a couple of small gay bar options directly in Laguna but I am not sure if they are still open. I think the place right on the water that also had an attached restaurant closed recently. (can't remember the name)

Getting to Laguna is easiest via SNA airport but it is also only a short drive from Long Beach Airport and not too far from LAX. We have flown into LAX a couple of times but prefer SNA because it is such a nice small airport.

All I can say is that our time spent at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel has to be some of the most relaxing vacation time we have ever spent. If you get too bored there is always something you can do but if you just want to lay on your buff then that works too! Weather should be perfect at that time of year.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 26, 2008 at 11:34 am