FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Destination Suggestions for Burned Out Traveler?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:16 am
PHLFlyer

Destination Suggestions for Burned Out Traveler?

OK, tired of thinking about where to go so rather than just staying home I'll see if any of you have some suggestions for a vacation in July.

I'm 38, my partner is 45. We've traveled a lot over the last 15 years and now we're a bit burned out with travel planning (well, mostly I am...but I attribute that to the fact I work as an airline manager and spend 50 hours a week on the front lines dealing with other people's travel drama, cranky crews, broken planes, etc.).

It takes a lot for me to get on a plane now, since airport=work and work=stress.

My preferred criteria:
- nonstop flight (from PHL) or max 6 hours drive
- not overly hot (for reference, I only enjoy the beach at sunset)
- someplace where I can do nothing without feeling guilty, but have the option for some sightseeing if the mood strikes
- gay or at least gay friendly enough that we won't feel out of place
- late nights and crowded clubs are a thing of the past (burned out on those, too) - however a nice bar or restaurant to patronize is fine

I've thought about upstate NY, Cape Cod, Quebec, Nova Scotia...not really considering "cities" per se since I'll feel compelled to take in all the sights.

So folks, any suggestions for a great low-key destination where I can recharge for a week?