FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancel company purchased tix, rebook skysaver - keep eCredit
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:10 am
keeton

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mcjava
I agree in theory... I would love it if I could get paid to use my Skymiles. Example: I often fly ATL-PVG, company only pays economy, tickets range between $850 to $1600 depending on fare and time of year. It would be great to check on price for days I need to go, print it out, then book either economy or BE with Skymiles and have the company pay me the cheapest economy fare I could have booked.

But I have never heard of any company allowing this...
Back in the days (10+ years ago) when a mid-week (it didn't even have to be last minute) ATL to Californina ticket would be $1,600, I think my employer had a plan to reimburse at a lower rate if the traveler was willing to use his/her FF miles. I know we had a plan if you stayed over a weekend (that $1,600 fare could be $300) for reimbursing for extra hotel expenses and we also had a reimbursement plan if you were to stay with frineds/family rather than a hotel.

These made for win-win situations (unlike the OP's scenario). In all fairness I should mention that back then we had an in-house travel agent, who could act as a third party and verify the potential charges to keep things honest.