Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cancel company purchased tix, rebook skysaver - keep eCredit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive

I had a last minute Business trip come up leaving in a week. The company paid $900 for the ticket (usually the tickets are $300 - $350) Anyway, it got me thinking about what I could do with $900, and I did some research and came up with an idea, and need help calculating the risk. There are Skysaver seats still available for the days I will be traveling. Can I cancel my paid ticket, get the 25,000 mile award ticket for the same days, and keep the $900 eCredit? My revenue ticket was purchased by a travel agency that our company uses...will they be informed of the cancelled ticket, and therefore try to take the eCredit for future company use? Are there any other risks I should worry about? I know some may question the ethics involved, but hey, I am now having to travel on Fathers Day, doesnt that count for something?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*Gold, MR Silver, Avis Preferred, AMEX Plat/SPG/DeltaPlat
Originally Posted by TexARN
I had a last minute Business trip come up leaving in a week. The company paid $900 for the ticket (usually the tickets are $300 - $350) Anyway, it got me thinking about what I could do with $900, and I did some research and came up with an idea, and need help calculating the risk. There are Skysaver seats still available for the days I will be traveling. Can I cancel my paid ticket, get the 25,000 mile award ticket for the same days, and keep the $900 eCredit? My revenue ticket was purchased by a travel agency that our company uses...will they be informed of the cancelled ticket, and therefore try to take the eCredit for future company use? Are there any other risks I should worry about? I know some may question the ethics involved, but hey, I am now having to travel on Fathers Day, doesnt that count for something?

this happens to me quite often, I book the travel, the charge goes on my corporate card or credit card, travel gets cancelled, delta SM account is in MY name and has nothing to do with the firm I walk for.

THUS, lots of $$$$$$$$$$ in credits!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
I think if the co. buys the ticket with their method of payment, you won't get credit.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by TexARN

Sounds a lot like conspiracy to defraud your employer. You need to consult a criminal defense attorney, not FlyerTalk, IMO.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
In the old days of fully refundable (or at least full credit)tickets and more easily obtainable award seats, I knew of a couple of unscrupulous consultants who did this regularly.

Here are the issues: Even a $900 ticket is probably non-refundable and has a change penalty these days. You will lose that right off the top. Since it was booked through a travel agent, they may get a record of tickets actually used since it may affect the booking fees they charge. The T/A will certainly have access to your PNR so it won't be your little secret. If you had booked the ticket yourself at delta.com you would have a better chance of getting away with it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:01 am
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
The refund will go back to the original form of payment.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Unscrupulous employees like this are why I require boarding passes as well as e-Ticket receipts on expense reports.

Pretty hard to hide fraud when the boarding pass says "No FF miles" and/or has a fare letter on it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by mcjava
Unscrupulous employees like this are why I require boarding passes as well as e-Ticket receipts on expense reports.

Pretty hard to hide fraud when the boarding pass says "No FF miles" and/or has a fare letter on it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: CO Gold
Ok playing devils advocate, who's really harmed? The company still has the employee going to the meeting that they would have paid the $900 for, the employee uses his own FF miles, and gets a perk in the process. So, either the airline gets the $900 or the employee? Why is this wrong?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
I guess it all depends on how much your job is worth. It always amazes me what lengths people will go to for a couple hundred bucks at the risk of much, much more in salary! In my world, my travel is billable. So, not only am I defrauding my company, but my customer as well.

An alternative approach would be to ASK your employer. If they don't have a problem with it then it would be fine. If they are not (or you hide it), chances are you already have your answer.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by KATLPAX
Ok playing devils advocate, who's really harmed? The company still has the employee going to the meeting that they would have paid the $900 for, the employee uses his own FF miles, and gets a perk in the process. So, either the airline gets the $900 or the employee? Why is this wrong?
I agree in theory... I would love it if I could get paid to use my Skymiles. Example: I often fly ATL-PVG, company only pays economy, tickets range between $850 to $1600 depending on fare and time of year. It would be great to check on price for days I need to go, print it out, then book either economy or BE with Skymiles and have the company pay me the cheapest economy fare I could have booked.

But I have never heard of any company allowing this, so if that is the policy, doing what the OP suggested would be fraud. Most companies only reimburse employees for actual expenses, so how is this all that much different from presenting fake receipts for dinners, rental cars, etc?

I suspect the IRS would also consider that $900 as taxable income to the employee.

And could DL, in theory, consider that "selling" your miles?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:54 am

The word fraud comes to mind... I would not recommend it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
I have done this many times with my employers written permission in email, email attached to the expense report with a copy of the lowest fare off of expedia corporate.

Also, if I take volunteer bumps and get those vouchers, my employer will also allow me to purchase the ticket on my own and let me expense it out. I don't do this too often though.

Bottom line, I ALWAYS have permission to do so upfront.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mcjava
I agree in theory... I would love it if I could get paid to use my Skymiles. Example: I often fly ATL-PVG, company only pays economy, tickets range between $850 to $1600 depending on fare and time of year. It would be great to check on price for days I need to go, print it out, then book either economy or BE with Skymiles and have the company pay me the cheapest economy fare I could have booked.

But I have never heard of any company allowing this...
Back in the days (10+ years ago) when a mid-week (it didn't even have to be last minute) ATL to Californina ticket would be $1,600, I think my employer had a plan to reimburse at a lower rate if the traveler was willing to use his/her FF miles. I know we had a plan if you stayed over a weekend (that $1,600 fare could be $300) for reimbursing for extra hotel expenses and we also had a reimbursement plan if you were to stay with frineds/family rather than a hotel.

These made for win-win situations (unlike the OP's scenario). In all fairness I should mention that back then we had an in-house travel agent, who could act as a third party and verify the potential charges to keep things honest.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:36 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
IMHO.....Do not even think about as it most likely will come back to the company, TA and client who is paying....use your miles for personal travel or upgrade on your dime. But hey put your self in your company's shoes...What would you think of an employee who did this? But that's just me talking . My job is way to important to even contemplate the thought. I would love to see that expense report and possibly an audit. I highly doubt your boss would take kindly on this and yes it ain't worth your job. Read your company's travel policy. Personally I wouldn't do it unless of course you had written permission and yes what about tax consequences? There are other ways to earn miles, but this isn't Kosher unless you put the cards on the table upfront.

Last edited by MRKEY; Jun 7, 2008 at 8:57 am Reason: Ask in advance...you could be surprised, but I doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.