FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancel company purchased tix, rebook skysaver - keep eCredit
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:41 am
mcjava

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by KATLPAX
Ok playing devils advocate, who's really harmed? The company still has the employee going to the meeting that they would have paid the $900 for, the employee uses his own FF miles, and gets a perk in the process. So, either the airline gets the $900 or the employee? Why is this wrong?
I agree in theory... I would love it if I could get paid to use my Skymiles. Example: I often fly ATL-PVG, company only pays economy, tickets range between $850 to $1600 depending on fare and time of year. It would be great to check on price for days I need to go, print it out, then book either economy or BE with Skymiles and have the company pay me the cheapest economy fare I could have booked.

But I have never heard of any company allowing this, so if that is the policy, doing what the OP suggested would be fraud. Most companies only reimburse employees for actual expenses, so how is this all that much different from presenting fake receipts for dinners, rental cars, etc?

I suspect the IRS would also consider that $900 as taxable income to the employee.

And could DL, in theory, consider that "selling" your miles?