FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Complete - Motion Passed: Permit Test of Photos in 4 Forums
Old May 21, 2008, 7:39 am
Cholula
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by robb
Which is why I'm not sure I understand why we're dribbling out more forums at 4 every 3 months. it will take many years at this rate to have photos in all of the forums.

What makes these next 4 test forums different than the few test forums we've already had?
I don't think that the images allowed in Trip Reports and Travel Photography were considered an official test of any sort.

However the experience there will certainly add to the data that our current tests, if approved, provides.

Images were requested in both of those forums due to the special nature of each forum. But there was no thought or discussion, such as we have here and elsewhere, to rolling out images to the rest of FT's forums.

Now we have a proposal for a test of images in our more traditional hotel and airline forums as well as Luxury Hotels and CommunityBuzz. These forums, if approved for images, will be closely watched and monitored over the next few months.

Speaking unofficially for TB, some of the things I'll be looking at are:
  • The speed at which images load under various conditions and with different operating systems and internet connection methods.
  • Member acceptance and reaction, pro and con, to the inclusion of images in the threads.
  • The types and frequency of images posted in the threads.
  • The degree of "abuse", both internally and externally, that we see . And by this I mean are we going to see a lot of huge 3 MB images from members and/or an increase in spammers posting their garbage in FT.
  • At the end of the day, does the inclusion of images in FT's forums make FT a better place to the majority of it's members.

And I'd suggest a separate feedback thread here and perhaps also in the test forums for specific member discussion and commentary.

The thread we are currently posting to is conjecture on what may or may not happen with images. I'd like to a separate discussion on what actually occurs.