FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Delta Reserve card from American Express.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:38 pm
brown069

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Originally Posted by ck8
I think this is the price of the regular AMEX Platinum charge card. It has a lot of the same benefits such as AMEX concierge.

The one thing of significance that this has over the Platinum AmEx is the MQM earning. If you want MQMs, go with the DL Platinum AmEx. If you want lounge access and concierge service, I'd go with the Platinum AmEx. I think this card is too much of a compromise except for a select few people that fly exclusively on DL.
and I'm one of those that flies exclusively on Delta (it has been 3 years since I've flown another carrier). Plus, I'm flying much more this year and will be PM in May. The value for me to upgrade, a DL Plat AmEx holder, is in:

-CRC access (partner lounges don't matter to me). I would have paid $300 for it this year, plus $135 for the DL plat AmEx ($450-$435=$15 difference).

-Unlimited earning and gifting MQMs. I spend roughly $100K/yr for business, plus easily another $20K/yr+ personal (that's 60K MQMs to gift to my wife).

-First class companion ticket (well worth that $15 difference). The reason why I give away my plat AmEx coach companion ticket is lack of ability to upgrade. I usually buy at least one first-class vacation ticket each year for my wife and I.

- Upgrade priority. Apparently- according to CRC agent- Reserve cardholders will get some kind of upgrade priority over standard elite-level flyers. I'll keep you all posted if this is mentioned in the Reserve card welcome kit.

So, for me, it makes sense. But I can certainly see how it wouldn't for many others.

Last edited by brown069; Apr 22, 2008 at 8:41 pm