FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Plane Food
Thread: Plane Food
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:18 pm
jhm

Plane Food

I just read the review of Plane Food by the Daily Telegraph's former restaurant critic here:

http://www.areyoureadytoorder.co.uk/

Whilst the restriction on using naked flames for cooking is disappointing and there are apparent issues with the food (in particular, the quality of the ingredients) which can be fixed, I didn't quite agree with her conclusion:

The food offering is simply not good enough to tempt First and Business class passengers out of their exclusive lounges. At £19 for a ribeye steak (chips £2.95 extra) and £18 for a small strip of sea bass, it is way too expensive for budget travellers. Who will come here, to sit at the blocky little tables and eat this underwhelming food with the strange, undersized cutlery? Only Gordon Ramsay knows.
I don't know which J/F lounges she has in mind as the food in the lounges I've visited (including the LHR CCR, HKG Wing/Pier F, SIN SKL T2 F, JFK VS CH etc - but not the FRA FCT nor the new QF F lounges) come nowhere near the quality of a decent restaurant meal (which I assume Plane Food is meant to be albeit with scope for improvement). Lounge food is mostly buffet style finger food or ready made stuff which has been heated up, grilled or microwaved or - at best - something basic like eggs which have been cooked from scratch. I also don't understand the reference to budget travellers as Plane Food is not aimed at that market at all.

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so I will try it and see.