FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Completed - Motion Failed: Include OMNI posts in Post Counts
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:18 pm
RichMSN
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's not even so much watching his back. It's common sense and courtesy, as well as realizing that volume/posting frequency does not necessarily translate to "what the membership wants".

Imagine someone who throws a Tupperware party with reasonable frequency has about 1000 people come over to his house. Occasionally, some of these people buy Tupperware, not all do. The host decides to change the wallpaper in the bathroom and 2 of the guests go ballistic. They go to the person who sits on the local Tupperware board of directors and tell him that he better straighten out the host - how dare he pick new wallpaper without consulting everyone? Some people liked that old wallpaper! Nevermind that some other people hated the wallpaper, many didn't care, and still others really like the new wallpaper. "I use that bathroom!" "It's the principle, damnit!", 1 person says. "I occasionally buy Tupperware or think about Tupperware in this guy's house! Nevermind what a great place it is or how there's lots of other amenities - that wallpaper change should have been run by me!"

Do you think the guy on the local Tupperware board of directors is going to tell the host "ya know, some people really think you're incapable of making decisons on your own. Why don't you put the old wallpaper back up and let the people who come to your Tupperware parties decide how you decorate your bathroom."?

Meanwhile, a couple of people (possibly the angry ones who approached the Tupperware board of directors member) decide to start using the host's kitchen as the bathroom to show their displeasure.
My goodness. Which one of these best describes your analogy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies