FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Embraer's start flying today [Aug 21 2007]...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:45 am
youngbru

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Impressions from my 1st Compass E175 flight

I have flown on E175s in Europe (LH & LO) but this week I had the opportunity to experience the Compass/NW Airlink version of the plane on a MSP-YVR-MSP trip and I must say I was really quite impressed with both the airplane and with the Compass service. I have already sent in my TTU compliment.

I was seated in the F cabin and the leather seats were quite comfortable. It did seem a little bit cramped when the seat in front was reclined but I can't really say it was any worse than a mainline aircraft. I didn't hurt that it was very clean still felt like a very new aircraft. Seat trays were a little bit on the small side but still servicable although I always had to struggle with getting it but back into the arm. As has been discussed in this thread above, the overhead storage is somewhat limited as the bins on the port side (1 seat) are pretty small (maybe even smaller than the CRJ200 bins. The bins on the starboard (2 seats) were taller then 757 bins and reasonably deep although I did not have my normal rollaboard to see if it could go in the long way. I was the 4th person on the airplane and I already had trouble finding space for my hang-up bag and my computer case - ended up putting my computer case in the front bin of coach. The coach section looked reasonable and the bins there looked to be the same on both sides but significantly smaller than the F bins - same height but not nearly as deep. They will definitely fill up fast with roll-aboards.

Overall I would rate the plane on par with a mainline A320 (only newer!) and better than a DC-9 or even a 757. And of course not even in the same league as a CRJ200 or SF3 (thank goodness!).

I was also very pleased with the Compass service. The FAs were attentive without hovering and their attitude was great. It actually felt like the enjoyed their job which is, unfortunately, not the norm for NWA FA's today (although, to be fair, it has improved since emerging from bankruptcy). The food was at least as good as mainline F meals. But they had an added touch of a hot baked item kind of like Midwest's chocolate=chip cookies. On the morning flight they had hot granola bars and on the afternoon flight they had brownies (really good!). Of course the smell of baking is always nice even if you don't partake so it really adds a nice feel to the flight.

I thought I would share my experiences and restart this old thread which was more speculative as few people had actually flown the plane yet when it was active. Now if they would just convert some of the SUX-MSP flights to this plane I would be a very happy camper!