Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Embraer's start flying today [Aug 21 2007]...

Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:44 am
Company Representative - Northwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: NW WorldPerks

Now for a bit of good news. For all of you FTers that have been waiting for the Embraer's to start flying, well that day is officially here!!

NW scoop

Official NW press release:

NORTHWEST AIRLINK CARRIER COMPASS AIRLINES COMPLETES FIRST REVENUE FLIGHT WITH NEW EMBRAER 175 AIRCRAFT

CHANTILLY, Va. – (August 21, 2007) – Compass Airlines, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Northwest Airlines (NYSE: NWA) operating under the Northwest Airlink banner, today completed its first revenue flight with the new dual-class 76-seat Embraer E-175 regional jet aircraft.

Flight 2036 departed Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP) at 7:15 a.m. Central Daylight Time with 76 passengers and a crew of four. Flight 2036 arrived at Omaha’s Eppley Airfield (OMA) at 8:31 a.m. local time.

“Today’s launch of Embraer E-175 service is an extremely proud day for the employees of Compass Airlines,” said John Bendoraitis, president. “The E-175 provides Northwest customers with best-in-class comfort. We look forward to continuing to expand our operation and introducing this state-of-the-art aircraft to customers throughout the Heartland of the U.S.”

The E-175 offers dual-class service with 12 seats in first class and 64 seats in coach class. The first class seats, arranged in a one seat-aisle-two seat configuration, offer 36 inches of pitch, or space between rows. Coach class, arranged in a two seat-aisle-two seat configuration, provides pitch comparable to other aircraft in Northwest’s current mainline fleet.

The E-175 is designed to provide customers with best-in-class comfort, including leather seating with adjustable headrests, and more room throughout the cabin than traditional regional jets. The aircraft features 6’ 7” of headroom in the aisle and increased shoulder room when seated. Sidewall-mounted seats are designed to maximize under-seat space, improving passenger comfort and stowage capacity, and overhead compartments offer more storage compared to traditional regional jets and can accommodate 24” x 16” x 10” roll-on bags.

Compass today introduced its first two E-175 aircraft into revenue service. In addition to serving the MSP-OMA route, the first two aircraft will serve Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW), Missoula, Mont. (MSO) and Nashville, Tenn. (BNA) from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Compass anticipates operating a fleet of 10 E-175 aircraft by the end of 2007 and a fleet of 36 by the end of 2008.

“Today’s introduction of Embraer E-175 service marks another important milestone for the employees of Compass and Northwest Airlines,” said Neal Cohen, Compass chairman and Northwest chief executive officer – regional airlines. “Introduction of the 76-seat E-175 is a continuation of Northwest’s effort to enhance its regional jet offering, joining Northwest Airlink partner Mesaba Airlines’ new 76-seat CRJ900 in providing customers best-in-class comfort.”

Based in Chantilly, Va., Compass Airlines is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Northwest Airlines Corporation (NYSE: NWA) and operates as a Northwest Airlink partner under service agreements with Northwest Airlines. Compass began revenue service on May 2, 2007 with twice-daily round trip service between Washington’s Dulles International Airport and Minneapolis/St. Paul using one 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 regional jet aircraft. Compass expects to operate a fleet of 36 76-seat Embraer E-175 aircraft by the end of 2008. For more information, please visit Compass Airlines’ Web site at www.compassairline.com.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NW scoop
The E-175 offers dual-class service with 12 seats in first class and 64 seats in coach class. The first class seats, arranged in a one seat-aisle-two seat configuration, offer 36 inches of pitch, or space between rows. Coach class, arranged in a two seat-aisle-two seat configuration, provides pitch comparable to other aircraft in Northwest’s current mainline fleet.
No sense in presenting the pitch in coach as an exact number. Just too painful to think about.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
No sense in presenting the pitch in coach as an exact number. Just too painful to think about.
Have you flown on an E-175? I have not flown the Compass variety, but the US Airways version (configured exactly the same in coach) was not too bad w.r.t. pitch. Perhaps the additional seat width and head/shoulder room made me not notice the 1" reduced pitch...?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Have you flown on an E-175? I have not flown the Compass variety, but the US Airways version (configured exactly the same in coach) was not too bad w.r.t. pitch. Perhaps the additional seat width and head/shoulder room made me not notice the 1" reduced pitch...?
US E-175s offer a single class of service with 32-33" of pitch. I'd estimate Compass is on either side of 31", which is "comparable to other aircraft in Northwest’s current mainline fleet."
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any idea on additional destinations for these aircraft?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Any here right now?

I saw one when I arrived in MSP last friday, it was parked alongside I-494. It looked pretty neat. I'm at the MSP G/F WC right now. Anyone know if there are any E175's around right now? I guess I could walk around and look, but i have quite the amount of hand luggage today.

I have a few hours before the 520pm A330-300 flight to SEA.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by sxf24
US E-175s offer a single class of service with 32-33" of pitch. I'd estimate Compass is on either side of 31", which is "comparable to other aircraft in Northwest’s current mainline fleet."
Correct; nwa.com says 31" of pitch in coach on the 175, but at 18.25" width, it is the widest coach seat in the NW fleet (domestic or international).

Also having flown the US 170s, the width, cabin height, and large windows give the impression of a very roomy interior that should make up for the "non-enhanced" pitch.

Last edited by Phil2016; Aug 21, 2007 at 2:17 pm
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by jacksafar
I saw one when I arrived in MSP last friday, it was parked alongside I-494. It looked pretty neat. I'm at the MSP G/F WC right now. Anyone know if there are any E175's around right now? I guess I could walk around and look, but i have quite the amount of hand luggage today.

I have a few hours before the 520pm A330-300 flight to SEA.
One is held up in DFW and the other was delayed, enroute now to MSO. Didn't see any others out there. Both aren't estimated to get into MSP now until after your 5:30 departure. But could be another one floating around somewhere.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Coach class, arranged in a two seat-aisle-two seat configuration, provides pitch comparable to other aircraft in Northwest’s current mainline fleet.
If it's better than a CRJ, then it's OK with me in comparison.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by drat19
If it's better than a CRJ, then it's OK with me in comparison.
Ditto. At 6'-5", I more than welcome the 900 and the 175, 'specially when I have Elite status!!!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
A bit OT, but... nwa.com shows the CRJ-900 with 30-32" of pitch in Y. Does that mean the exit rows have 32" and the rest have 30"? That's pretty tight!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
I saw one parked at the gate (I it was C2) on Saturday...not a bad looking plane.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any idea on additional destinations for these aircraft?
Please, please, please put one on the ICT route. I would be happy if it was only on one of the five scheduled flights (although much happier if it was a couple of them). I seriously doubt that I will get my wish, but it sure would be nice.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Stripe
A bit OT, but... nwa.com shows the CRJ-900 with 30-32" of pitch in Y. Does that mean the exit rows have 32" and the rest have 30"? That's pretty tight!
The exit rows (3 w/ extra spacing) have 35-42" pitch. I didn't have time to write down the exact details row by row -- the FA wanted my a** off the plane so they could fly on to Fargo.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I do not think it means what you think it means...

Originally Posted by NW scoop
The first class seats, arranged in a one seat-aisle-two seat configuration, offer 36 inches of pitch, or space between rows.
Uh... this new and, dare I say, exciting definition of "pitch" makes it sound like how much space there is from the back of one seat to the front of the seat bottom cushion behind it, which of course is not at all what "pitch" is. Even the amount of space from the back of one seat to the front of the seat back cushion behind it isn't going to be 36 inches.

36 inches of pitch - good. Airline PR folk not being able to correctly define or explain pitch - worrisome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.