FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:54 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SportsTech
With all due respect to the hotel staff and the posters in this thread, this hotel is a dump. Most of the rooms are shabby, the smoking rooms STINK (and yes, I've been stuck in one after reserving a non-smoking room), the lobby lounge is formica from the 60's, the restaurant is mediocre - each of my 3 stays there has been a disappointment. Why 3 stays? Because I was (mis)informed that the Hilton Newbury Centre was even worse - which turns out not to be true. Newbury Centre is NOT in the centre of the old town (it's actually behind a shopping mall), but it's a much nicer hotel with a good bar and a decent restaurant. All other things being equal - and they aren't, since Newbury Centre may be more money - I could never advise a stay at Newbury North. If you don't like the Newbury Centre, and can tolerate (gasp) no points, try the Regency.
I have to agree with this statement. I found the Hilton Newbury Town centre to be a much nicer hotel. I would avoid Newbury North. I thought it was really in need of a refurb.