Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Old Jan 18, 07, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

One night DBB stay mid week. OK, but not memorable. I was upgraded to a room with wine, bathrobe and chocolates, but noticed mould on the edge of the bathroom sink and no lock on the bathroom door. The room itself was large, clean and very quiet. No trace of cigarette smoke either, unlike Northampton recently. The building layout reminded me greatly of Bristol Hilton.

The food was alright; perfectly OK, but I've eaten better at other Hiltons.

The staff were all very friendly. A slightly cheeky 3 guest car park charge was applied, which I can only put down to money grabbing, as this Hilton is effectively in the middle of nowhere.

It's basically a watering hole for businessmen. I'd stay again.

One thing to note if you haven't been there before. Access to and from it is confusing; there's no sign on the M4. If you're coming from north, east or west, take the A34 (South) and turn left into Chievely Services, down to the first mini-roundabout, where there ARE signs for the hotel.
Old Jan 18, 07, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by diamondman2006 View Post
One night DBB stay mid week. OK, but not memorable. I was upgraded to a room with wine, bathrobe and chocolates, but noticed mould on the edge of the bathroom sink and no lock on the bathroom door. The room itself was large, clean and very quiet. No trace of cigarette smoke either, unlike Northampton recently. The building layout reminded me greatly of Bristol Hilton.

The food was alright; perfectly OK, but I've eaten better at other Hiltons.

The staff were all very friendly. A slightly cheeky 3 guest car park charge was applied, which I can only put down to money grabbing, as this Hilton is effectively in the middle of nowhere.

It's basically a watering hole for businessmen. I'd stay again.

One thing to note if you haven't been there before. Access to and from it is confusing; there's no sign on the M4. If you're coming from north, east or west, take the A34 (South) and turn left into Chievely Services, down to the first mini-roundabout, where there ARE signs for the hotel.
Also note that they don't give breakfast to Diamonds - only 2 chocs ,an apple and some water.
Old Dec 5, 07, 10:36 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I thought it was pretty good!

Stayed here on a weekend bandb deal, a bargain rate. Given a good diamond room upgrade, with lots of goodies in it.
Ok, the decor is not the very best, but found the staff on reception to be excellent and overall thoroughly enjoyed it. That was worth it in itself.
Would definately stay here again after that.
Old Dec 5, 07, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
This brings me back....I used to live in Newbury until 2005 and frequented this hotel on a regular basis when it was a Stakis as I was a member of the health club! This was in maybe 1990-1992 before Newbury got an all purpose gym, pool and sports hall type place.

They used to do a pretty decent Sunday lunch with carvery there too ^

The location is pretty odd now as they put the A34 going up the west side of the hotel about three or four years back and you are surrounded on all sides by roads! What many don't know is that the small road you use to drive to the hotel from the mini-roundabout is the old A34.
Old Jan 18, 08, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
No improvement

Further visit there last night.

Reception v.welcoming. Upgraded to an Executive Room. It was cold, with a pathetic electric heater pumping out little heat. The wall behind it had scorch marks. The very cold bathroom was something out of the 70s; big cracks in the sink, a towel radiator that had only one out of four bars working (and that was too hot to touch), the grouting between the tiles was various shades of brown and there was evidence of rising damp on a wall! I was too tired to complain. The bar area was fine.

The restaurant was extremely poor; I had Chicken Caesar Salad, but there was no chicken! I complained and the 'chef' came out and apologised - he'd forgotten to add it!! The rest of the food was equally unmemorable.
However, the beds were extremely comfortable and breakfast was good.

Hilton need to spend some money on this property. Doesn't anyone at the hotel check the rooms and service? I think not.
Old Jan 19, 08, 12:36 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
With all due respect to the hotel staff and the posters in this thread, this hotel is a dump. Most of the rooms are shabby, the smoking rooms STINK (and yes, I've been stuck in one after reserving a non-smoking room), the lobby lounge is formica from the 60's, the restaurant is mediocre - each of my 3 stays there has been a disappointment. Why 3 stays? Because I was (mis)informed that the Hilton Newbury Centre was even worse - which turns out not to be true. Newbury Centre is NOT in the centre of the old town (it's actually behind a shopping mall), but it's a much nicer hotel with a good bar and a decent restaurant. All other things being equal - and they aren't, since Newbury Centre may be more money - I could never advise a stay at Newbury North. If you don't like the Newbury Centre, and can tolerate (gasp) no points, try the Regency.
Old Jan 20, 08, 5:54 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SportsTech View Post
With all due respect to the hotel staff and the posters in this thread, this hotel is a dump. Most of the rooms are shabby, the smoking rooms STINK (and yes, I've been stuck in one after reserving a non-smoking room), the lobby lounge is formica from the 60's, the restaurant is mediocre - each of my 3 stays there has been a disappointment. Why 3 stays? Because I was (mis)informed that the Hilton Newbury Centre was even worse - which turns out not to be true. Newbury Centre is NOT in the centre of the old town (it's actually behind a shopping mall), but it's a much nicer hotel with a good bar and a decent restaurant. All other things being equal - and they aren't, since Newbury Centre may be more money - I could never advise a stay at Newbury North. If you don't like the Newbury Centre, and can tolerate (gasp) no points, try the Regency.
I have to agree with this statement. I found the Hilton Newbury Town centre to be a much nicer hotel. I would avoid Newbury North. I thought it was really in need of a refurb.
Old Jan 21, 08, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SportsTech View Post
Because I was (mis)informed that the Hilton Newbury Centre was even worse - which turns out not to be true. Newbury Centre is NOT in the centre of the old town (it's actually behind a shopping mall)
You're giving the Tesco & Newbury Retail Park too much credit!

If you want to stay somewhere nice in Newbury and don't mind being outside of town a little try the Vineyard at Stockcross. It is a little further outside the centre of town than the Hilton 'Centre' but not much different.

The Vineyard is a Relais & Chateaux property with a 2 Michelin Star restaurant ^ Not been there to eat since it got it's second Michelin Star but it was rather good a couple of years ago.
Old Sep 8, 09, 6:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed at Newbury North last Friday and had a very good experience.

Good welcome by front desk and ug to executive suite. Very large room with 2 double beds, newly refurbished and very clean and smart. Amenity of water and voucher for 2 drinks in bar. Room was very comfortable and fairly quiet. Breakfast wasn't too busy and service very good, most food was being cooked to order

Overall one of the best Hilton experiences in the UK for me this year
Old May 29, 10, 3:52 pm

Big improvement

I have been staying here on-and-off every few months for about 5 years now, as office is close by. This time I was very impressed with the changes they have made;

1. They are the test site for a new concept in UK Hiltons 'The Space' - see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...furbished.html

Basically this means that there is a free high speed internet throughout the lobby/reception/restaurant, and speed is really excellent - much faster than paid access at other UK hiltons. There are also 20 or so large monitors dotted around the lobby, with the ability to plug in your own PC/phone etc and discuss with colleagues, plus plug sockets, comfy seats etc. Very nicely done IMO. Also a number of PCs with free internet access.
You are also free to use the restuarant with tables for meetings, as it is now one large open space.
I think this setup is ideal for informal business meetings.

2. The renovated rooms are pretty good - a huge improrement on how they used to be, beds are good, TV flat screen and large, more channels etc. Not amazing, but given the low price and physical structure I think they have done a good job

3. Gold/Diamond amenities are fine, and always given - no need to argue as in the past. Gold/Diamond gets upgrade, free breakfast, free drink or two at bar, some water, wine, chocolate etc. I have seen worse in a lot more expensive places - and given the free internet in the bar I would prefer this to some ELs with paid internet.

All in all I would have no hesitation recommending this place now, and told the staff there. They are also taking pride in the changes and debut of the new concept.
Old May 31, 10, 8:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I stayed there again recently and was again impressed with this property. I don't think that they see a lot of Diamonds there as the staff all greeted by name and asked if there was anything they could do. A little embarassing and my two German colleagues found it hilarious!

Overall one of the best UK Hiltons.
Old Jun 26, 11, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL/CCR; Virgin Gold; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Amb; Hertz PC
Had a recent 2 night stay

Diamond recognition at check in - Wine / Water / Pringles / Mars bar / Robes per person in the room each day. Room itself didn't appear to be much of an upgrade otherwise - it was reasonable large but sparsely furnished - could use a refresh and take better advantage of its' size.

Customer service was very good - any requests were dealt with very promptly and efficiently

Leisure facilities pretty standard for those familar with UK Hiltons - about 8 cardios and some weight machines in a small space and swimming pool / steam room / sauna - was always reasonably busy.

Breakfast was of similar standard UK Hilton fare and choice (apart from Haggis one morning )

Parking is still 3 per day - the only facilities within walking distance are the Chievely Services - Newbury town centre is about 5-10 minutes drive away

The hotel often has cheap rates under 50, so would rate it good value at those rates.
Old Oct 27, 12, 1:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Hilton Newbury North.

Some advice please.

Staying here unfortunately tonight, its been a catalogue of things so far.

No upgrade. Ok, I understand its not guaranteed. Two things though. I was told I had been upgraded to a family room. Nope that was what I booked. My friends (gold) have been given a deluxe room as an upgrade. Upgraded rooms were available online earlier today, so have probably been allocated now?

No internet, not bad internet, no internet. Tried ringing helpline from phone in room which doesnt work- the phone doesnt work. Rang from my mobile, long call at 35p minute- freephone numbers are not free on mobiles. Internet now fixed. This had to be done by me and could not be done by Hilton staff apparently.

The room is choice. Outside, it backs onto the M4, noisy. Next to the room is an air conditioning/ heating cupboard that haas gone wrong and sounds like a vacuum. Guess it isnt going to be an easy nights sleep. I have spoken to the duty manager. Apparently the hotel is full, and I can't be moved, but they did allocate me a "good" room. I did email the hotel twice before arrival- no replies- asking for a room not on the motorway and an internal one.

Rooms are available to book though for 59 incl bfast on hilton.com, quite cheap, not sure if this reflects a sell out situation or not.

The final straw was the curtains are broken at the top, and wont shut. Nice with the motorway lights just outside.

The duty manager has offered me a discount on the room, and rang a nearby hotel who are full. Is this reasonable, or should I go down and say really I expect something else (or is it more reasonable to try to sleep first and see how I get on?).

Incidentally, have just returned from Hilton Portsmouth which was excellent, everything worked :-)

Last edited by Skimanant; Oct 27, 12 at 2:32 pm
Old Oct 27, 12, 2:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
I avoid the place at all costs after a one night stay about two years ago...the hotel doesn't deserve to call itself a Hilton IMO.

Sorry to hear it doesn't seem to have changed in that time. I would simply take the 50 % offer and try to make the best of the situation and then just never go back.
Old Oct 27, 12, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum
Wink

One of a number of properties in the UK which only seem to do harm to the Hilton brand.

If you take a look on trip advisor the general view seems to be it is acceptable for one night, but ought to be Travelodge above the door not Hilton, and likewise a price to match.

I very nearly stayed here last year but avoided it after some reviews I saw (maybe botb on here as well as trip advisor?!). There are a number of places like this in the UK which have a bad reputation, and yet, I stay now and again at the Warwick/ Stratford property which looks a similar set up and yet I always have a good experience.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: