FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:44 pm
graraps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused78
I plan on working where I can and I am in the middle of sorting out working visas. I know I am going to need to pop up my funds but I plan on keep cost down as much as possible and definetly dont mind roughing it.
I think you're way too concerned about finances. As long as you're not expecting to travel/live luxuriously, £15k will last you a long time in places like China, Thailand and S. America. In Maracaibo (second city of Venezuela) I was staying in a suite (admittedly, the "suite" designation was mostly alluding to the size of the room and not its extravagance) for less than £30 a day, including the breakfast. It'd be pretty easy to halve that staying in a single room at a 2* hotel (and that's not really seriously "roughing it", either), and prices are similar across most of S. America. An ice cold can of strong lager was around 18p in CCS.
Obviously, you'd need to find a way of making some cash if you were to perpetually keep travelling, but £15000 is quite a lot of money indeed for most people on this planet!