FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury/Upscale hotel in Tokyo for 3 generation family stay
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:45 pm
jtrader

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
GH definitely isnt put in the same league here.

id also imagine RC would be more willing to make an exception re age if there is such a policy.

jtrader, how would you compare the MO to FSM / Pen?
I've never stayed at either FSM or Pen. However, I have numerous friends colleagues who have. I've been to breakfast meetings at FSM and toured the rooms at the Pen.

I hear universally that the service at the FSM is outstanding. Based on my recent experiences at the MO, I wouldn't think it is better than the MO, probably the same level. Personally, I like the MO location better than the FSM. Even though FSM is next to Tokyo Station, you're kind of surrounded by office buildings and there isn't much in the immediate area. It isn't a very long walk to the center of Ginza (probably more than my 77 year old mother would want to do). I also find the location kind of cold.

I also hear good things about the Pen. I thought the rooms were more or less the equal of the MO (like MO a little better). Views are spottier. I really dislike the lobby of the Pen (no places to sit except a cheesy cafe that looks like it belongs in a Hilton Garden Inn). Otherwise, everything I saw was very tasteful and comfortable. The location of the Pen is excellent. Easy walk to shops, restaurants, etc. in Ginza. Also located at the intersection of several subway lines. I would tend to give an edge on atmosphere to MO over Pen (view and overall feeling of the place). I'd give an edge on location to Pen. Honestly though, I think it comes down a large extent to personal preference or something like whether they can provide a certain type of connecting room (if that is what you want).