Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury/Upscale hotel in Tokyo for 3 generation family stay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Luxury/Upscale hotel in Tokyo for 3 generation family stay

Spoiled for choice, but having trouble choosing appropriate place for us for a couple of nights jet lag recovery for mother flying in from the US.
Mother - almost 80
Us - 40s
Daughter - 10

We have enjoyed very much the Peninsula Bangkok and Four Seasons Singapore recently.

Thinking about:
Four Seasons Marunouchi
Peninsula
Mandarin Oriental
Four Seasons Chinzanso
Ritz Carlton

Have eliminated:
New Otani (because children under 12 cannot be in the exec lounge after 5:30
Okura (just don't like it)
Park Hyatt ( " )
Seiyo Ginza (poor reviews)
Conrad (had a very mediocre stay there a year ago)

Thank you for ideas, comments and advice.

Last edited by Kakjapan; Jan 16, 2008 at 9:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so 4 people, but i would presume 3 beds would be preferable.

FS Chinzan-so
-Japanese Suite ¥130K @
http://www.fourseasons.com/tokyo/gue...ese_suite.html
up to 5 single futons

peninsula
winter escapes pkg through 3/31
(connecting rooms, incl upgrade if avail)
-dlx room + dlx corner room ¥137K
(> dlx park view room + executive suite)
-dlx park room + exec suite ¥162K
(> grand dlx room + dlx suite)

FS Marunouchi
-1 superior with king & 1 premier with 2 queen
¥130K (or ¥97.5K with 4th nt free through 2/29)
connecting?

mandarin oriental
-2 dlx rooms ¥86K>¥136K depending on date/rate
20 pairs of connecting rooms include >
mandarin corner + mandarin DLX
oriental suite + premier grand

ritz carlton
-2 dlx rooms
-2 dlx club rooms
connecting?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 1, 2008 at 2:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

We will want 2 rooms rather than a shared Japanese room I think...or a 2 BRs suite would work. Mother cannot do tatami.

We want to make her transition to Japan easy, but don't want to overwhelm her...which is where I start having the trouble choosing.

Last edited by Kakjapan; Jan 16, 2008 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the peninsula rooms / upgrades seem pretty nice and large. it also seems to be getting very good reports here. if youre not in time for the winter escapes package, you might consider doing the same booking via virtuoso or FHR. the rates might be slightly higher though. but the upgrades seem to be an especially great value, compared to booking 2 regular rooms at other properties.

OTOH not sure what your budget is, or how connecting rooms/suites work at other properties.

four seasons marunouchi and park hyatt were best regarded here previously. ritz carlton and mandarin have been much more mixed, IIRC the ritz carlton is more consistently regarded as a step down, and is priced that way as well. pluses for some are the club, and the location at Tokyo Midtown.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 16, 2008 at 9:47 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

We want to consider atmosphere and service before budget, as this is much more important to us than budget or buildings or decor.

What we did not like about the Conrad was the poor service we experienced. No one helped us with bags on arrival and we wandered around looking for reception. After a rather cold check in, no one accompanied us to our room. It was just my daughter and I, and after observing for a day or so, I came to the conclusion that the staff tended to fawn all over businessmen but pretty much ignored the mother and daughter pair, with the exception of one staff member in the Gordon Ramsey restaurant who was very friendly and helpful (and was leaving the Conrad the following week to work at the Ritz Carlton).

We want to feel welcome as a family group, not business people. We do not want our mother or daughter to feel unwelcome or uncomfortable as we experienced at the Conrad.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the peninsula and the four seasons marunouchi are very highly regarded here in terms of service. the four seasons marunouchi was considered by the best city hotel in the world by a number of a people in a thread on that subject. it is comparable to the landmark mandarin oriental in hong kong, which also received such votes. several of the people who held the four seasons marunouchi in such high regard have since said that they consider the peninsula even better. one poster commented that they considered it the "model" for business hotels IIRC. i do not recall if someone has reported on a specially leisure/family stay at the peninsula yet, but there have been many such reports from the four seasons marunouchi, and i do not recall any negative ones. the location and view IIRC are the only things that usually come up as potential negatives. views are one area the peninsula clearly has an advantage.

thread on the peninsula >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731536

IIRC the conrad has received similarly mixed reviews to the RC and MO here, and it is also priced similarly to the RC.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: Many
How about the Grand Hyatt..?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the peninsula and the four seasons marunouchi are very highly regarded here in terms of service. the four seasons marunouchi was considered by the best city hotel in the world by a number of a people in a thread on that subject. it is comparable to the landmark mandarin oriental in hong kong, which also received such votes. several of the people who held the four seasons marunouchi in such high regard have since said that they consider the peninsula even better. one poster commented that they considered it the "model" for business hotels IIRC. i do not recall if someone has reported on a specially leisure/family stay at the peninsula yet, but there have been many such reports from the four seasons marunouchi, and i do not recall any negative ones. the location and view IIRC are the only things that usually come up as potential negatives. views is one area the peninsula clearly has an advantage.

thread on the peninsula >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731536

IIRC the conrad has received similarly mixed reviews to the RC and MO here, and it is also priced similarly to the RC.
Thank you for these comments. Very helpful.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unagi1
How about the Grand Hyatt..?
Do you happen to know if children under 12 are welcome in the exec lounge there?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I'd strongly recommend the Ritz over the Grand Hyatt. While I agree service has been mixed compared to some other hotels, it is much better than the GH. Rooms are larger, views are assured, and the club lounge is vastly better (one of the best I've seen). I'd be surprised if children weren't allowed in the lounge, but you should check.

For your mixed group, the location in Tokyo Midtown is nice.

I happen to think the Mandarin Oriental is superb. IIRC, most of the mixed reviews were right after opening. I've found the rooms and service to be exemplary. Depends if you like the location. It's next door to Mitsukoshi and convenient to most places in central Tokyo, but it is mainly a business district.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GH definitely isnt put in the same league here.

id also imagine RC would be more willing to make an exception re age if there is such a policy. i dont see one mentioned in their club room information.

jtrader, how would you compare the MO to FSM / Pen?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
GH definitely isnt put in the same league here.

id also imagine RC would be more willing to make an exception re age if there is such a policy.

jtrader, how would you compare the MO to FSM / Pen?
I've never stayed at either FSM or Pen. However, I have numerous friends colleagues who have. I've been to breakfast meetings at FSM and toured the rooms at the Pen.

I hear universally that the service at the FSM is outstanding. Based on my recent experiences at the MO, I wouldn't think it is better than the MO, probably the same level. Personally, I like the MO location better than the FSM. Even though FSM is next to Tokyo Station, you're kind of surrounded by office buildings and there isn't much in the immediate area. It isn't a very long walk to the center of Ginza (probably more than my 77 year old mother would want to do). I also find the location kind of cold.

I also hear good things about the Pen. I thought the rooms were more or less the equal of the MO (like MO a little better). Views are spottier. I really dislike the lobby of the Pen (no places to sit except a cheesy cafe that looks like it belongs in a Hilton Garden Inn). Otherwise, everything I saw was very tasteful and comfortable. The location of the Pen is excellent. Easy walk to shops, restaurants, etc. in Ginza. Also located at the intersection of several subway lines. I would tend to give an edge on atmosphere to MO over Pen (view and overall feeling of the place). I'd give an edge on location to Pen. Honestly though, I think it comes down a large extent to personal preference or something like whether they can provide a certain type of connecting room (if that is what you want).
Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I was one of the ones in the thread referred to who found that the Pen pipped the FSM as a favourite in Tokyo.

On the OP's original question, and based on the possible requirements of a blended family, I still think it really comes down to the Pen, MO and (though it's not for me) the Ritz.

The FSM is great, by the way, but if the OP's mother is advanced in years, easy access on foot can be a problem - and the proximity to Tokyo Station may not be that practical to an older person (unless you plan on having a car and driver, which is an interesting, though expensive, option). Pluses for the FSM - large rooms, and quiet. And, of course, superb service. It's just not really a family type of hotel, though - no super great pool, for example.

The Ritz is not, I think, even close to the calibre of the FSM or Pen - but its draw would be Tokyo Midtown. If this kind of of access is important, I would frankly choose the Grand Hyatt (not identified in the initial list) over the Ritz - it has Roppongi Hills, and great facilities nearby (including the 24 hour grocery store that adjoins the Tsutaya down the street). The problem with the GHT might be the room configuration, though.

The MO could be OK in terms of facilities, service and rooms, but the location is bettered by the Pen (plus, if you watch what others on this board have said, the view appears to be that its service isn't as good as the Pen or FSM). Just not a fave of mine.

So, for family stuff, I would say the Pen. Large rooms and suites with smart adjoining rooms. Tokyo metro underneath. Imperial Palace grounds for walks. Easy strolling through Marunouchi and proximity to Ginza (no Roppongi/Shinjuku craziness). Very good service (not quite FS level, but pretty good). Good pool and spa facility.

My two cents.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Peninsula is now Virtuoso:
  • Upgrade upon arrival, subject to availability
  • Complimentary full American breakfast for two daily
  • 10,000 JPY Food & Beverage credit per room, once per stay (credit not valid for room service or for use in Tsuruya Restaurant, no cash value if not redeemed)

Virtuoso rates are:
Deluxe Room - 57,000 JPY
Deluxe Park View Room - 62,000 JPY
Deluxe Corner Room - 72,000 JPY

Two DLX rooms, minus two F&B credits, would be very attractive for a short stay.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
We stayed at the Pen, Conrad and Ritz (in that order) just last month and I completely agree with you regarding the (decidedly cold) service levels at the Conrad, which is in complete contrast to our experiences at the Pen and the Ritz.

Originally Posted by Kakjapan
We want to consider atmosphere and service before budget, as this is much more important to us than budget or buildings or decor.
I think you will love the Pen. I preferred the Ritz because of Midtown and the jaw-dropping views but I would go back to the Pen because it oozed quiet elegance and luxury without the need to be on the 45th floor and the annoyance of changing elevators to get to your room. The service at the Pen -- perhaps even all the Pens -- is legendary. Perhaps it was just my luck but the service at the Ritz was, in my experience, on par with the Pen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.