FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is Your Line of Work? Where do you trace your love of flying back to?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:02 pm
greggwiggins

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Like the OP, my father worked for Delta, but at CHS, and I grew up non-revving in the era of Convair 440s and DC-6s and DC-7s. I remember the excitement when the first DC-9 jet service came to Charleston, with nonstop service to Atlanta instead of a prop plane that made two stops (Columbia and Augusta) in between.

Growing up around the airport I even got some stick time as a teenager, but never got my pilot's license after the family friend who was instructing me died in an airshow crash and the folks who took over his business said they'd continue my lessons if I paid for them like everyone else, instead of just paying for the gas. (BTW, I can go to the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum annex near IAD and see his plane, a plane I used to help push out of the hangar, on display. I don't think I'll ever stop feeling awed by that.)

I wound up going into journalism, which is a great business for someone who likes to travel and for someone who doesn't want each day to be like the one before. I fly an average of two or three trips a month, mostly domestically with an international trip every other year or so.

Last edited by greggwiggins; Dec 31, 2007 at 2:07 pm