Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is Your Line of Work? Where do you trace your love of flying back to?

What is Your Line of Work? Where do you trace your love of flying back to?

Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: UA1K, UC. AA- EXP, AC, Avis First, Marriott Plat Premier, HH-Diamond
My job requires that I travel, but my love of flying predates that. I thank my Grandfather for taking me to the observation deck at Midway Airport in Chicago to see the planes. The sounds and the smell of Avgas and Jet A was addictive. I've been hooked ever since.

Chris
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:31 am
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Thanks for posting that photo. Those were some sharp shoes!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I grew up in a family full of U.S. Air Force pilots. From WWII to present day my family has had at least one person in the Army Air Corps or the USAF so flight was in my blood from day one. My first flight at the age of 1 was in the back of a Cessna 172 my grandfather owned. We flew to Mexico and back.

Since then I've been addicted. I even started looking for jobs that included travel as soon as I started preparing for the workforce out of college.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mcrt
I just love to see new places and flying is the best way to get there. I often look out plane windows and think that if I ever lose the love of that view it is time to quit flying.
Ditto. People who wonder how I can go a whole trip involving maybe a dozen flights without reading more than a few pages of the book I've brought with me just don't understand.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC E
My parents instilled a love of travel in me at an early age - though we road-tripped as much as we flew, regardless I found being in a new place a totally thrilling experience. They've always been big on avoiding the major tourist sights and trying to experience true local culture as much as possible, a travel philosophy I have maintained to this day. I did eventually get tired of the road trips, though, and prefer to fly to my destinations now (and, having exhausted most of of NA's sights, had to expand my boundaries a little...)

I didn't have much opportunity to go beyond NA on a regular basis until grad school, which is when I started lurking around FT searching for deals and tips (took my Dad to Paris - our favourite city - on the BA mistake fare back in 2003). During grad school I'd hit *S regularly, and now I fly 40-80k/year as a professional academic with a side career in documentary television. While I do miss my home and husband while on the road, the excitement of new places and new experiences is too much to pass up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.