FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is Your Line of Work? Where do you trace your love of flying back to?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:26 pm
getonline33

Programs: AS MVP
Question What is Your Line of Work? Where do you trace your love of flying back to?

In planning an RTW, I discovered FT, and since I've developed quite the addiction to it. I logon every day and review as many forums as are applicable to my trip, and to my interests.

I've always loved the journey as much as the destination. My dad worked for Western/Delta for 35 years as a gate agent, so I've been lucky to travel non-rev all of my youth. I used to hang out at the airport with him (worked 20 years at SEA) and run around finding the abandoned luggage carts, returning them for the two bits (US$.25) of reward money. In the olden days, I had to dress up in a coat and tie in order to non-rev in first class. This was such a part of my traveling life (can non-rev'ers even get in FC US domestic given FF upgrades?), that when a friend told me he was flying somewhere in first, I advised not to forget his tie! Boy, was I brainwashed even as a 12 year old!

It's clear that FT'ers love the escape of flying as much (or more) as I do. Many of you seem to be traveling non-stop! Granted, I assume that a % of you simply spend your spare $$ on travel, seeing it a hobby (or obsession). However, the majority of you are funded by your professional lives, and either have stumbled on a wonderful intersection where work funds your own flying obsession, or have fallen into the FT crowd due to your work travels.

This leads me to a couple of questions (ok, three):

:-: What kind of work do all of you FT'ers do for a living that allows you to travel?

:-: What youthful/other experiences have led you to love the journey (or at least spare the time to discuss the journey) as much as the destination?

:-: Finally, what the heck does OP stand for (which I think I am right now )?