FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checkout Time Question
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:50 pm
MarkXS

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by DCBob
The terms for 4PM checkout are IDENTICAL for STARWOOD Preferred Plus, Gold, and Platinum. You get it as a benefit, but it is subject to availability in resorts and convention locations. Hilton has no late checkout benefit for ANYONE, but if you ask, you can nearly always get an extra hour.
Sorry, but as long as we're correcting people with capital letters , they are NOT IDENTICAL:

Gold Preferred: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html
Originally Posted by SPG Gold Preferred Benefits page
Little Extras: Take advantage of a morning newspaper, 4 p.m. late checkout when available, check-cashing privileges up to $300, and access to the Gold Preferred Guest special customer service telephone number for reservations and information.
Emphasis mine

Platinum Preferred: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html
Originally Posted by SPG Platinum Preferred Benefits page
Platinum members are eligible for late check-out up to 4pm, except at resorts and convention locations, where it is based upon availability.
Very clearly, the late checkout benefit is different:

Gold - late checkout subject to availability at any type of property.
Platinum - late checkout. Only subject to availability at resorts and convention locations.

Not-so-subtle difference. If it's not a resort/convention property, a late checkout is a stated benefit for plats while only a "subject to availability" for Golds. At resorts/convention hotels, both plats and golds are subject to it.

In practice, maybe Golds get late checkouts almost as often as Platinums. But I've seen Golds ahead of me in line at check-in be denied it when I was given it as a Platinum.

That's why it's much better at this point than at HHonors properties nowadays. So far as a Platinum I have never been turned down for 4pm late checkout at Starwood properties, even at convention and resort properties. As a Diamond, I've been turned down or asked "is 1pm ok?" when I ask for 2 or 3pm, even at hotels where I'm a 15-20 stay/year regular.