Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checkout Time Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Checkout Time Question

I just left the Embassy Suites Waikiki and the latest checkout time I could get was noon, even though I am Diamond VIP.

I am learning the ropes, so please help me out. I am used to IHG where I can always get a 2pm checkout and at InterContinentals I get 4pm guaranteed.

Is this normal for HH Diamond? The front desk AND Diamond desk told me it was based upon availability. I need to know as my next few months of stays will be influenced by the answer.

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Yes, noon is normally the latest checkout time although you, of course, can always leave luggage in storage if you need to. Once in awhile, I have been permitted a 1pm checkout, but noon is the norm.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Well, this is a revelation and a rude awakening to me, after often getting later checkout times with lower status from other programs.

This will affect which hotels I search for first in 2008.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:42 pm

I find it really depends on the hotel and it is based on availability. Resort-type hotels that cater to consumers tend to have strict checkout terms. Everywhere else I find them to be quite flexible. I've often been told that I can stay as long as I want...sometimes until 10-11pm the day of checkout. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you were denied late checkout at the hotel you specified.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by myfrogger
I find it really depends on the hotel and it is based on availability. Resort-type hotels that cater to consumers tend to have strict checkout terms. Everywhere else I find them to be quite flexible. I've often been told that I can stay as long as I want...sometimes until 10-11pm the day of checkout. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you were denied late checkout at the hotel you specified.
I totally agree. I feel this is a facility circumstance, not program. I have gotten checkouts as late as 4PM at large FS properties.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 4:31 pm

You sound like the same guy who wants early check-in and can't understand why the hotel doesn"t have any rooms ready!!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Vacations Club properties, I believe, are 10 AM checkouts, though I was told that (barring high occupancy periods) an extension to at least noon can be done without a problem.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
A very long time ago, late checkout used to be an HHonors benefit, IIRC. Not just for Silver/Gold/Diamond - it was a benefit for any HHonors member.

Obviously that didn't work out so well. Lots of things I still like about Hilton, but I sure do like the 4pm late checkout guarantee for Starwood Platinum (and "if available" for SPG Gold).
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MarkXS
A very long time ago, late checkout used to be an HHonors benefit, IIRC. Not just for Silver/Gold/Diamond - it was a benefit for any HHonors member.

Obviously that didn't work out so well. Lots of things I still like about Hilton, but I sure do like the 4pm late checkout guarantee for Starwood Platinum (and "if available" for SPG Gold).
The terms for 4PM checkout are IDENTICAL for STARWOOD Preferred Plus, Gold, and Platinum. You get it as a benefit, but it is subject to availability in resorts and convention locations. Hilton has no late checkout benefit for ANYONE, but if you ask, you can nearly always get an extra hour.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Camino1
I just left the Embassy Suites Waikiki and the latest checkout time I could get was noon, even though I am Diamond VIP.

I am learning the ropes, so please help me out. I am used to IHG where I can always get a 2pm checkout and at InterContinentals I get 4pm guaranteed.

Is this normal for HH Diamond? The front desk AND Diamond desk told me it was based upon availability. I need to know as my next few months of stays will be influenced by the answer.

Thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by Camino1
Well, this is a revelation and a rude awakening to me, after often getting later checkout times with lower status from other programs.

This will affect which hotels I search for first in 2008.

You could always look at the Hilton Honors T&C
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...AABCCF73.etc21

Late check-out upon request

If you need extra time in your room, call the front desk. We'll do everything possible to accommodate your request.
Based on the property, date, occupancy and other factors - as with any hotel, participating in any loyalty program - there might be circumstance that prevent a late check out.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Checkout, even for Diamonds, varies with property and with capacity for that day.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactly! I've been very fortunate at a number of properties, but high vacation demand hive-like properties are not good at this - and I understand why that is. A few properties (HHV comes to mind) offer baggage check and courtesy room facilities offering time for a shower, etc. and a very few (Hilton Buenos Aires) offer Diamonds (possibly Golds?) use of their Club Lounge - even for showers. ^

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Checkout, even for Diamonds, varies with property and with capacity for that day.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I can always get a late check out at a HGI or HI. I've never been told no to a late check out at either-- sometimes as late as 4 or 5pm.

At Hilton properties, especially resort property, I have usually gotten a 12 or 1 check out. Only one time have I been told no to a 2pm. And they offered to give me internet and the exec lounge, so they did make up for it in some way.

Typically, it is up to the manager on duty to say yes. I have not found that VIP status has mattered too much-- they tend to do it if they can.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by DCBob
The terms for 4PM checkout are IDENTICAL for STARWOOD Preferred Plus, Gold, and Platinum. You get it as a benefit, but it is subject to availability in resorts and convention locations. Hilton has no late checkout benefit for ANYONE, but if you ask, you can nearly always get an extra hour.
Sorry, but as long as we're correcting people with capital letters , they are NOT IDENTICAL:

Gold Preferred: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html
Originally Posted by SPG Gold Preferred Benefits page
Little Extras: Take advantage of a morning newspaper, 4 p.m. late checkout when available, check-cashing privileges up to $300, and access to the Gold Preferred Guest special customer service telephone number for reservations and information.
Emphasis mine

Platinum Preferred: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html
Originally Posted by SPG Platinum Preferred Benefits page
Platinum members are eligible for late check-out up to 4pm, except at resorts and convention locations, where it is based upon availability.
Very clearly, the late checkout benefit is different:

Gold - late checkout subject to availability at any type of property.
Platinum - late checkout. Only subject to availability at resorts and convention locations.

Not-so-subtle difference. If it's not a resort/convention property, a late checkout is a stated benefit for plats while only a "subject to availability" for Golds. At resorts/convention hotels, both plats and golds are subject to it.

In practice, maybe Golds get late checkouts almost as often as Platinums. But I've seen Golds ahead of me in line at check-in be denied it when I was given it as a Platinum.

That's why it's much better at this point than at HHonors properties nowadays. So far as a Platinum I have never been turned down for 4pm late checkout at Starwood properties, even at convention and resort properties. As a Diamond, I've been turned down or asked "is 1pm ok?" when I ask for 2 or 3pm, even at hotels where I'm a 15-20 stay/year regular.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmillers5
You sound like the same guy who wants early check-in and can't understand why the hotel doesn"t have any rooms ready!!
Actually, I do get early checkin as RA, but I don't expect that from HH, but I am thinking Diamond should count for something, especially as there was nothing else that distinguished my stay from having no HH status at all, except free internet.

I guess I've been spoiled by ICH and SPG treatment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.