FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting in Munich [MUC]
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:40 am
Bob'sYourUncle

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
I thought if you transfer from Non-EU to EU you always have to go through security? No idea how this is implemented in MUC.
Originally Posted by hch
I've never seen security between US arrivial and non-schengen departure gates. Where would this security checkpoint be?
The EU mandates (re)screening all passengers to EU standards when they depart from a EU airport. So if you're coming from oustide the EU, you need to be re-screened if you're connecting, regardless of final destination.

Now, that said, MUC (and not sure if all of Germany) has had an exemption to this rule, that unfortunately will run out in 2008. So right now passengers arriving outside the EU arrive on the "upper level" of T2 and can still connect to non-Schengen destinations without re-screening.

However, sometime next year, passengers will start to be re-screened, and, according to the MUC airport magazine I recently read, at T2 they will build a "third level", to which all non-EU flights will arrive. To connect, you will have to walk to the central part of T2 on the new "third level", and then go through the apporpriate formalities depending on where you're going. But if you're connecting, you'll be re-screened no matter where you're going...

certainly will detract from the ease of MUC T2 connections.