FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA adding black lights to screen passengers' ID cards
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:32 am
Bart
Suspended

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Where does yours come from? I actually know the answer to that question already--but are you really saying that verifying IDs are real is somehow linked to detecting terrorist threats? If so, can you please explain how?

I am not opposed to security. I am opposed to "security measures" which don't accomplish actual security, which is a reduction in threats to the transportation system or those travelling on/in it. So please explain how stopping an illegal alien with a fake ID from flying to visit his/her mother is linked to the threat that a known or unknown somebody puts something that goes boom in his/her luggage.
My background and experience is in the "Who We Are in the TS/S Forum" thread.

Detecting false IDs could be a powerful tool if there was better communications and cooperation among the various agencies, notably the FBI. But there isn't, nor do I expect there to be due to the different cultures and mentalities. (I've worked with the FBI on numerous counterespionage cases, so I reserve the right to criticize them in matters such as these.)

And while I was pretty unfair in slamming the credibility of the previous poster (I admit it), my criticism is that if we're going to be tasked to conduct this task, then let's actually perform it to the best of our ability. Using lights and loupes allows us to do that. But the critical piece to this occurs when we do discover a false or tampered ID and the actions taken by the airport LEO. And this is where the Boys in the Bureau have a lackadaisical if not somewhat condescending attitude towards airport security. And therein lies the broken link because if the FBI isn't going to get excited, then neither are the airport LEOs. I don't think it's wise nor professional to allow their approach, or lack thereof, affect how I am going to perform my task. But I do point it out as a weak link. "OK, we've found a false ID, now what?"

Where I do agree with you is that regardless of whether or not someone is traveling with false documentation, if that individual is screened and found to possess no prohibited items, dangerous weapons and hazardous materials, then what's the point in fussing over the ID?