FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Married women to be barred from airports!!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:07 pm
essxjay
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by trm2
It took Mrs trm2 about a half hour and $10 to change her name. Has it gotten that much worse over the last decade or so?
From personal experience, yes in some instances and definitely not (or better!) in others -- and not just for marriage purposes.

Originally Posted by red456
The problem arises mostly with older women who failed to have their name changed on their Social Security account when they got married, but assumed their married name for such things as DL's, passports, etc.
The so-called problem can arise for plenty of other reasons, too. I say "so-called" w/o any derisive intent, but rather to convey a YMMV sense of the term. Let me explain.

As someone upthread mentioned, it is sometimes a simple matter of sending a letter to the SSA, a local union secretary, employee retirement trustee, bank or credit union, DMV -- with no or very minimal additional supporting documentation -- explaining that you have (for example):
  • dropped a first or middle name in favor of just one of them;
  • adopted a childhood nickname as part of or in place of the given name(s);
  • decided to use instead the surname of the other natural parent (either son taking mother's or daughter taking father's), a step-parent or guardian's common law spouse, a godparent, a "non-legal" guardian, a grandparent, etc., regardless of whether adoption papers were ever drawn up

A court filing is not always necessary, even for a Passport, depending on the documentation.

For example, the Oregon State Bar says this:

The following information regarding change of name is brought to you as a public service by the lawyers of the State of Oregon. The material presented is intended to alert you to possible legal problems and solutions

How do I change my name?
You can change your name without legal proceedings merely by using the new name. This name change must not be used for fraudulent purposes or it will not be effective. If you are married, you can choose to keep your surname or take your spouse's surname.

Oregon also has a more formal process for changing names for those who prefer proof of their new name. The rest of this topic discusses the formal process. If you are under 18, you may petition for a name change, but written notice must be given to your parents or legal guardian. You may need to have your parents' consent. You also may need to have an adult guardian appointed for the purpose of changing your name. A name change for a minor child does not create an adoption
That all said, a court order could make things easier although it comes with some risk.

The ironic thing is, as jonesing pointed out, sometimes private businesses are more demanding of "proof" than city, county, state or federal agencies. @:-)

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 17, 2007 at 12:24 pm